Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: My HMS Brave Borderer 1:16 Scale Build  (Read 135331 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: My HMS Brave Borderer 1:16 Scale Build
« Reply #225 on: June 15, 2009, 08:14:25 am »

John, how many do you need at 1:96 ? I'm getting pretty good at this :D :D

Thanks everybody for your kind comments - I need all the encouragement I can get - or it's the nut house %% %%

Martin du  
Definately barmy.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2009, 01:54:05 pm »

Side discussion on the original ,

What was the superstructure made from?
And why so many compound curves?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin13

« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2009, 12:52:52 pm »

Side discussion on the original ,

What was the superstructure made from?
And why so many compound curves?

Martin,

Hull was built from timber over an aluminium framework. As far as I know the superstructure was timber as well but not 100% certain, as for the curves >>:-( a right pain to construct. CDSC123 would be the man to ask this question..

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2009, 12:59:01 pm »

Finally completed all the ammo lockers and for effect, placed them on my hull - must admit - they do look good.

Now that I have gone totally looney, think I'll have a break for a week or two and do something different.

By the way, as it turned out, I apparently built one locker too many - anybody in the market for "One 1/16th scale two door Ammo Locker" %) %)

A couple of pics

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #229 on: June 22, 2009, 01:01:16 pm »

And a couple more..........

Martin doon under

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #230 on: June 22, 2009, 03:31:44 pm »

Martindu

From the Ammo boxes you have clearly mastered the plasticard assembly :}
I have just been reading the last few pages and noticed your vicissitudes (can I say that?) with plasticard and the doors

I suspect it is now quite irrelevant but the advice to leave anything to glue for an hour is terrible overkill.  If you have the parts in good contact - wick solvent into the joint with a paintbrush (that you don't care about) the joint will be self-holding within 2 minutes or so. 
Easiest glueing jig is your non-brush hand :}, second easiest is narrow strips of insulating tape holding the joint tightly together

But I'm sure you have perfected your welding technique
Love the build and the boat - how about one of the model turboshafts  - or three -  to power it and get the authentic smell of (largely unburnt) paraffin/kerosene

andrew

rsm

« Reply #231 on: June 22, 2009, 03:46:34 pm »

Hi Martin,

Changing the subject slightly. How is your Fleetscale Vanguard coming along?

Roger.

Martin13

« Reply #232 on: June 23, 2009, 10:07:31 am »

Thanks Andrewh,

The construction of the Ammo Lockers were a good introduction to using Plasticard. After having glued about 1500 small individual parts, I now feel reasonably confident in attempting superstructure parts on my Vanguard - it's been an experience.

Don't know about building the 3 Proteus engines out of Plasticard but the last challenge will be those 40mm Bofors. Again due to scale, I wish to construct with as much detail as possible. In the next few weeks I will probably go back to detailing the bridge area now that I have received more Plastruct profiles from the USA...

Roger - Fleetscale Vanguard - swmbo asked the same question. Currently, only the 4 prop shafts and rudder are installed. As a break from BB, I intend to start the forward superstructure this weekend but finding everything is SO SMALL. I think she would look better and easier to build at 1:72 scale (about 3400mm long and in the pipeline ;D)

Martin du

andi4x4

« Reply #233 on: August 01, 2009, 09:02:36 pm »

Hi Martin,

Can't believe it is 15 months since I last posted on this forum !

She's looking good ! Love the lockers - I have some parts made up for mine that I am planning to make moulds from in order to cast the lockers I need - I dont have the patience to make them all out of plasticard like you !

Your transom flap has given me the incentive to get on and do some more on mine - if I can find the space !

Martin13

« Reply #234 on: February 10, 2010, 10:32:44 am »

Hi all - Yes , I'm back.

2009 was a busy year. As mentioned previously, swmbo allowed me to do some work on the dining room table, but after several months and me slowly taking over more of the table (no room to eat my dinner) swmbo suggested I move into one of the vacant bedrooms-What a smashing idea. Now I have plenty of room and can bring in more bits and pieces.

After the locker construction and needing a break from BB, I began construction of the forward superstructure for my fleetscale HMS Vanguard. Vanguard is very fiddly being 128th scale, seemed like I was never going to get it right even with all the photo's I had collected but finally succeeded. Very small but does look good.

Back to BB. I have been working on the open bridge section and pleased with current results. I'm also working on the Generator Exhaust setup but am not too happy with the main uprights of the exhausts. For these I used 19mm and 25 mm dowels and am having troubles with the wood chipping at the ends. My current thoughts are to go to an electrical supplier and see if I can use electrical PVC conduits instead - I think these will give a better finish. I have made the connecting plates complete with nuts and bolts (made from styrene).

Back to the Open Bridge - At the rear to the bridge, on the floor/deck are several boxes which I have constructed the basic shapes but I have no idea as to what these boxes should look like - that is, the detail as to how the boxes were constructed in real life. for example hinges, closing latches and basic framework of each box. I have not been able to find photos showing the detail to these boxes.
The Vosper plans I'm using detail these boxes as follows:-
a). Signal Flags Box.
b). Stowage for Recognition Lights.
c). Pyrotechnics Locker.
d). Body Armour Locker.
e). Steel Helmet Locker.

These boxes are quite small (probably knee high or there abouts) and the lids open upwards.
I'm asking for your help. Do members have any idea how these boxes might look. Can forum members please post any pics you may have here on my post. I need to add some detail to the boxes as they look very plain in their current state.

In the next week or so (when I find where the woman hid the camera) I will post some pics.

Thanks in advance.

Martin doon under

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #235 on: February 10, 2010, 08:18:50 pm »

Hi Martin, I was beginning to think you had left us  :-)) At least it would be much better down your way than this time last year.

I'm sure we look forward to seeing your progress, when you find the camera, that is :}

Peter.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #236 on: February 10, 2010, 09:21:45 pm »

Hi Martin, You've inspired a lot of modellers  :-)) Here's a few rare clips to enjoy. These were impressive boats.  ok2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV8Exhc359o

Gra

« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2010, 06:18:25 am »

Hi Martin,

Is your boat going to go as fast as the Youtube boats.

Have not seen you at Surrey Park for some time. O0

Graham

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2010, 09:14:24 am »

Wheres the pictures of your KGV Martin ? :-))

Martin13

« Reply #239 on: February 11, 2010, 12:28:08 pm »

Peter - glad to see the end of 2009 - Bushfires, Swine Flu, and Workplace injuries - arm finally out of plaster and can get back on modelling/forum.

Perkasaman - thanks for the Link - you have a talent in finding all the good stuff on the web.

Graham - I think if I put BB in the water and get it to plane, she will be chasing the ducks in the Surrey Dive carpark. I hope to have water trials around June if all goes well. Sunday's have been very busy of late but I hope to get down there soon.

Dicky- I don't think this is the place for KGV,  but just for you:-

Martin doon under

Martin13

« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2010, 12:30:29 pm »

Dicky - Note BB's drawings on the back wall - will give you some idea of size - 1:72 scale, 3200mm long %%

Martin du

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2010, 01:39:11 pm »

That is nice Martin. You must let us see more. O0

I keep on at John about Skype, you have a go.

Martin13

« Reply #242 on: February 19, 2010, 07:50:22 pm »

I had 2 wins this week. I found where the swmbo hid the camera (in her car) and my order of Plastruct arrived from the US as I have been waiting for this in order to proceed with detailing. I tend to use a lot of Plastruct mainly due to the large range of profiles available and I buy it cheaper direct from the manufacturer. Plastruct range is very extensive for when you wish to do detail work as BB requires.

The picture shows most of the lengths purchased but not the profiled sheets etc.

Don't ask what I spent on this lot.

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #243 on: February 19, 2010, 08:04:17 pm »

I have been working on the open bridge area and adding detail. I have made the basic shapes of various boxes/lockers that are on the aft section deck floor. Now that my order has arrived, I can continue with detailing. Whilst adding detail to the instrument panel, I noticed something did not look right. The floor/deck appeared too deep. As it turned out, I had to raise the deck by 15mm - now that looks better. I intend to add as much detail as possible to the open bridge so there is a long way to go.

I'm also looking around for stickers of gauges/dials approximately 3mm to 6 mm in diameter. Should anybody have suggestions as to where I can purchase these, please let me know.

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #244 on: February 19, 2010, 08:22:16 pm »

Whilst waiting for my order to arrive, I decided to make a start on the Generator Exhaust as fitted between the lockers on the aft section superstructure.

Basically I used 2mm styrene for the flanges, a mixture of hardwood dowel, balsa and PVC electrical conduit for the round spacer sections and the main body including the duct up to the header/exhaust outlet. For detailing, I cut small sections of 2mm hexagonal profile and glued these to the flanges either side to represent the nuts and bolts then drilled a small hole and glued 1mm round to represent the thread protruding from the nut. I know it's probably going overboard but it's very effective - will look even better when painted.

The header/exhaust outlet - I didn't like the first one I made so have now started on the Mk2 version. this is basically carved out of balsa block, shaped to correct profile and the exhaust outlet lined with some aluminium tubing. I will also need to add some small sections of dowel with flanges added that will connect to the rest of the exhaust system. When I have completed this, I will post more pics..

Martin du

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #245 on: February 19, 2010, 08:43:29 pm »

Looking good Martin itchy doon under. :-))

Try Barry's Model Lettering.

http://www.modellettering.com/showProducts.asp?categorycode=04

He does custom stuff as well, John uses him too, he's excellent and service is good.

Martin13

« Reply #246 on: February 19, 2010, 08:52:16 pm »

Thanks for that Dicky, will check out the site tonight as I'm about to head off on a 3 hour drive to Barham NSW (our club TF72 have a Regatta on today and I promised the lads I would attend). Thought I might post on the forum whilst the sun comes up over hear. Can't leave too early as the Roos are everywhere this time of year. I don't think swmbo would be impressed if I hit one using her car. I'm using her car as the air conditioner works extremely well - Temp predicted to exceed 40. C degrees today in Barham..

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #247 on: March 02, 2010, 07:56:03 am »

I have basically made the Mk2 header although needs cleaning up and more detail added. I have since decided not to attach to the uprights as they will need to be mounted in their correct position on the superstructure prior header being attached. Why you may ask - I think if I attempt to attach the header to the rest of the assembly free from the superstructure - I'll only stuff it up  >>:-((seeing I'm really good at doing this).

Anyway, a couple of pics to give you the idea.

Mdu

Martin13

« Reply #248 on: March 02, 2010, 08:01:49 am »

Just to give you an idea, a couple more pics of header/exhaust gently resting on structure. I took these photos outside hoping the detail may be a little better to see.

Mdu

Yeah I know, the header is upside down in one pic {:-{

Martin13

« Reply #249 on: March 04, 2010, 08:29:38 am »

Everything has now been put aside including working on the open bridge. It's been a long time that BB has been sitting on the bench with only undercoat applied and patchy at that. After much discussion/assistance from CDSC123 and a few other helpful gents, I have now managed to get hold of the correct shade of Light Admiralty Grey paint - which looks more green than grey.

It's time to see if this thing floats and how many bricks (attempt at humour) will I need for ballast to make it float correctly. Some time ago, I managed to pickup a Stainless Steel tank from an auction - it's about 8 foot long, 18 inches wide and about 10 inches deep - should make a great Test Tank.

The weather has been great lately, no more temps in the high 30's and 40's, so now is the time to paint the beast and hope to spray the hull in the next week or so. But before that can happen, I apparently forgot to make the 3 exhaust outlets and a few grab rails etc as fitted to the transom.

I am currently constructing the 3 exhaust outlets using mainly 2mm styrene for the base and flap, 3.2mm angle for reinforcing and mounting plates for the 2 hinges. The round part cut at an angle of 4 degrees is actually PVC pressure pipe. Would you believe I had to buy a 6 metre length just to use 25mm, but have managed to find a good use for the rest of it. 

Anyhow, progress so far, although not complete yet and still need to be cleaned up but will give a general idea

Martin doon under

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.