Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: My HMS Brave Borderer 1:16 Scale Build  (Read 135354 times)

steve pickstock

Re: My HMS Brave Borderer 1:16 Scale Build
« Reply #250 on: March 04, 2010, 08:46:00 am »

Lovely work, I really enjoy this build.

Martin13

« Reply #251 on: April 11, 2010, 05:20:45 am »

Lovely work, I really enjoy this build.

Thanks Steve for your kind comment. I was also enjoying this build up until a few weeks ago when I made an enormous error of which I'm too embarrassed to talk about {:-{ {:-{ {:-{. I even went to the point of ringing Bluebird on how to fix it - at the time, I did not know if he was laughing or crying. Might tell you about that later as it's embarrassing.

Anyway after that total stuff up, I made the life boat containers (still yet to be finished) and there support cradle that sits on the back of the rear superstructure assembly.

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #252 on: April 11, 2010, 05:25:11 am »

I also started making the boxes/containers as fitted in the open bridge aft section.

Just a quick pic to show progress..as I have a few more to make in various sizes etc

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #253 on: April 11, 2010, 05:29:10 am »

The life boat containers. I need to place a piece of 3mm plastic strip over the containers and through the brass hoops on the cradle. Each time I do this the plastic strip either breaks or does not conform to the profile of the containers.

Any ideas out there to make my life a little easier.....please

Martin du

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #254 on: April 11, 2010, 09:12:30 am »

Small cable ties?

Martin13

« Reply #255 on: April 11, 2010, 09:33:15 am »

Small cable ties?

Now that I did not think of - will give it a go tonight. I need to paint em black anyhow....

Thanks Colin :-))

Martin du

pugwash

« Reply #256 on: April 11, 2010, 10:22:18 am »

I dontknow if they would be thick enough at your scale of build but I went to my local paint shop - who
also do van logos andgot some offcuts  of the various coloured vinyls and doubled them over when I wanted
a loop or stuck them back to back .  they were always too shiny so 1200 wet and dry and paint as normal
they were  very flexible

Pugwash

BillG

« Reply #257 on: April 15, 2010, 06:45:15 am »

G'day Martin,

Just finished reading the about your build. Boy! I certainly enjoyed it as it took me more than 1.5 hours to read

It is pleasing to see a build  diary aimed at informing newbies (I'm one) of the pitfalls when building from scratch and how these mistakes can be corrected by contacting more experienced members who obviously are willing to help.

I will be following the rest of your build with more than a passing interest.

Cheers
Bill

Tornadon

« Reply #258 on: April 27, 2010, 10:03:38 pm »

Wow that's lot's of work
what is the estimated time on this specific build?

Martin13

« Reply #259 on: April 28, 2010, 12:07:56 pm »

Just for info - Colin's cable tie suggestion worked perfectly for the life raft containers.

Pugwash - thanks for the tip but tried Colins idea immediately - has some cable ties on hand.

BillG. Glad you like my build to date. As I suggested in the pm, have a go - plenty of chaps here to give sound advice. I know, I wouldn't have gotten this far without the help of many.

Tornadon, You got it right - that is a lot of work with lots more to come. Estimated time you ask - I haven't got a clue. I can't even remember when I started the beast. The plan is (and my plans are always late) to have the boat in the water sometime in June for sea trials, ie will it float, how much ballast and do the motors and electronics work well together, then finally - what needs to be modified or beefed up. Model Completion - hopefully sometime in 2011 %)

In about a weeks time I hope to receive all the bits and a special item from ACTion. Both DaveM and Pete aka PMK have gone to a lot of work in sorting this baby out but more details later. :-))

Still progressing detailing/fittings etc and am slowly putting a word document together explaining my latest MEGA blunder {:-{ as I will have to own up to it sooner or later. (Came very close to calling it quits).

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #260 on: May 02, 2010, 09:01:30 am »

..............................................................................MEGA BLUNDER..................................................................................

Newbie’s and all take heed – This is a warning!

Maybe you can avoid the mistake I made.

I have been at this build for some time now and starting to get a little frustrated with the lack of available time due work and family commitments. Frustration can be a bad thing as you start thinking about short cuts to carry out a particular task.
I had undercoated the hull with an Acrylic primer and after much discussion with members of my club, decided to do the whole model in Enamel. Okay, then the Acrylic primer must be removed to allow use of Enamel paints. I set up the hull, container of water and wet/dry paper then proceeded in rubbing back the primer. After about 30 minutes I noted this was going to take a long time as the primer fixed itself well to the resined hull.
I thought to myself, “Surely there must be an easier and faster way to remove this paint”.

MY BIG MISTAKE – why not use paint stripper. I applied the stripper to a small area and left for 10 seconds before scrapping it off, the paint came off easily. Okay, I’ll do a larger area and proceeded accordingly. Basically, I had most of the paint removed before noticing that the stripper had also removed (in patches) the resin over the fibreglass cloth. I stopped the use of the stripper and frantically tried cleaning any remaining residue.

THE END RESULT. The paint was removed but now the resin was damaged and in 3 areas, down to the fibreglass cloth. This is where the pain and headache set in and was close to giving it up altogether – no more modelling. I destroyed a perfectly good hull.

That evening the good lady tried to consul me and suggested to Ring John aka Bluebird. I barely said 6 words and John knew what I did and what the results were. It was very evident to john that I was upset but convinced me that it was repairable. John explained what I should look for on the hull and how to go about mending the problem. He was right, in several places, the stripper was still reacting with the resin and this area was soft. Basically, I had to dig out the resin and thoroughly clean afterwards. I did this and checked the hull the next day for more reaction. I checked the hull each evening after work for a week.

The hull was now stable with no more reaction with stripper and all soft areas removed. The next step was to sand all the resin back down to the fibreglass matting. I spent a whole weekend and each evening after working on the hull. I re-applied three coats of resin with a light sanding between each coat. This task became a lot harder now with P brackets, shafts etc protruding beneath the hull but I persisted.

This whole process seemed like months before it was ready for painting.

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #261 on: May 02, 2010, 09:03:54 am »

The hull now has been undercoated and top coats applied. Photo’s show how I used a GMC laser to mark the waterline on the hull – makes life a lot easier.

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #262 on: May 02, 2010, 09:12:52 am »

Hull now masked for bottom colour

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #263 on: May 02, 2010, 09:15:12 am »

Although not a perfect finish as previous, the hull does look good with the paint job.

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #264 on: May 02, 2010, 09:18:22 am »

Conclusion – NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use paint stripper on a resined hull.

At this point I would like to thank John aka Bluebird, if it was not for his encouragement and help; I would not be modelling today. O0

And when you have made a big mistake and don’t know what to do – ask the question on the forum as there are plenty of people willing to help with sound advice.

Martin doon under :-))

steve pickstock

« Reply #265 on: May 02, 2010, 11:31:45 am »

Martin, thanks for that. Niall and I were wondering what you had done in the pub on Thursday night. Very brave of you to share it with us. However it is my firmly held belief that everyone is allowed to do something dumb once in their lives. It's only a bad thing if you keep doing dumbsh!t.

And it looks fantastic now. look forwards to seeing the completed boat.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #266 on: May 02, 2010, 12:01:37 pm »

What can I say my mate.   Hi there Martin.   It's looking brilliant - words of encouragement are one thing - but look what you have done!   One of the best hulls I have seen anywhere.    You can ring anytime - you dont need to try and destroy your hull to ring!  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Speak to you soon - KEEP PLODDING ON - and when your model is sitting on the lake and your are getting hours of enjoyment from your model  -  you can pull the pin on the old grenade and think here goes mate....demolish if you dare!  {-) {-) {-) {-) %% %% %% only joking - you wont be sitting on the lake - you will be sitting at a safe distance cos of the motors etc., you are going to put in that there model - you may be looking at world speed records!!!

Speak to you soon!!

aye john
bluebird
from up here
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

cdsc123

« Reply #267 on: May 10, 2010, 09:25:55 pm »

Looking amazing Martin, an absolutely brilliant job  :-))

Martin13

« Reply #268 on: May 16, 2010, 12:13:38 am »

Thanks guys for your kind comments. :-))

Now that the aft superstructure has also been painted, I decided to spray some of the fittings that would be attached to this area. I decided to purchase a new mini compressor (1/3rd HP twin cylinder) and a couple of extra airbrushes. I have a large 12cfm compressor but for model work find the mini unit a lot easier and portable to work with.

Must admit, once the pressure setting is set, the pressure remains constant with no fluctuations.

Martin du

tassie48

« Reply #269 on: May 16, 2010, 12:34:51 am »

Lucky sod mines all packed away for the shift back to Queensland could drop off the 1/48 TICO for a quick paint job on the way up for you to dust for me if you are nit to busy haha great work Martin tassie48

Martin13

« Reply #270 on: May 16, 2010, 01:19:25 am »

After deciding which parts are to be sprayed, paint mixed, compressor set and gun ready. I used an old milk crate and a piece of plywood  to bring the set up to about chest high - I find this comfortable for spraying small items.

Today the temp is only about 15 degrees C and not an ideal temp for paint to dry with the amount of moisture in the air, but this problem has been solved.

Paint including resin moulds set best around 22 degrees C and to solve this problem, sometime ago I purchased on eBay the infamous " Aussie Pie Warmer". O0

What a great unit, can dry paint, keep your lunch warm and heat up your hands on those cold mornings. O0 {-) :-))

Martin doon under and warm hands.

Martin13

« Reply #271 on: May 16, 2010, 01:21:36 am »

Lucky 'xxx' mines all packed away for the shift back to Queensland could drop off the 1/48 TICO for a quick paint job on the way up for you to dust for me if you are nit to busy haha great work Martin tassie48

Hey Tassie, drop in any time :-))

Mdu

Martin13

« Reply #272 on: May 16, 2010, 01:26:43 am »

Some bits fitted to aft superstructure. The cable ties worked well for holding raft containers to rack - Thanks Colin.

Mdu

Martin13

« Reply #273 on: May 16, 2010, 09:05:32 am »

A few more pics showing current state of Aft Superstructure.

Martin doon under

Gra

« Reply #274 on: May 16, 2010, 10:51:27 am »

Hi Martin,
Boat looking good .Surrey Park Navy day on 23 May.Hull would look good in clubhouse for display.

Keep up the great work.

Graham.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.