Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: My HMS Brave Borderer 1:16 Scale Build  (Read 135358 times)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: My HMS Brave Borderer 1:16 Scale Build
« Reply #275 on: May 16, 2010, 11:57:55 am »

Today the temp is only about 15 degrees C and not an ideal temp for paint to dry with the amount of moisture in the air, but this problem has been solved.

That's positively balmy over here at the moment  ;D
Don't Assume Check

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #276 on: May 17, 2010, 01:07:38 am »

Hi Martin, great progress. I came across a stern picture of BB moored inboard of a German Ferocity class boat. You may already have seen it, but if not, then it may be useful.  :-)

http://www.schnellboot.net/de/bundesmarine-deutsche-marine/schnellboote/typ-153-brave-borderer-pfeil-strahl/004.jpg

Martin13

« Reply #277 on: May 28, 2010, 11:36:16 pm »

Hi Martin, great progress. I came across a stern picture of BB moored inboard of a German Ferocity class boat. You may already have seen it, but if not, then it may be useful.  :-)

http://www.schnellboot.net/de/bundesmarine-deutsche-marine/schnellboote/typ-153-brave-borderer-pfeil-strahl/004.jpg

Thanks Perkasaman,

Another photo for the collection...keep em coming :-))

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #278 on: May 28, 2010, 11:42:47 pm »

Hi Martin,
Boat looking good .Surrey Park Navy day on 23 May.Hull would look good in clubhouse for display.

Keep up the great work.

Graham.

Hi Graham,

I placed the boat in the car the previous night for display at the club for Navy Day. Woke up Sunday morning with a crook neck - could not turn left or right and unable to drive. Monday off work and down to Chiro for realignment.
Was really looking forward to Navy Day and all the other modellers showing up with some great models - will have to wait another 12 months for the next one. >>:-(

Martin du.

barryfoote

« Reply #279 on: May 29, 2010, 07:59:37 am »

A superb build and thread Martin. I should have been out an hour ago, so am in trouble with "the long haired one" now!! Keep it up.  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Barry

Gra

« Reply #280 on: May 31, 2010, 08:32:52 am »

Hi Martin,
Sorry to hear about your neck.Hope things come good for you and we will  see your boat in the near future.

Graham.

BillG

« Reply #281 on: June 02, 2010, 03:10:44 pm »

G'day Martin,

I've been out of the country for a while and wont be back till August, however, I've been following your build, impressed with the work on the BB. I'm glad you explained your booby on the hull. I'll file that away in my memory bank.

cheers
Bill

Martin13

« Reply #282 on: June 10, 2010, 10:19:38 am »

Finally finished construction / painting of the Generator Exhaust assembly and fitted to aft superstructure.
Also made up some handrails as fitted around a hatch openings P & S.

The three Engine Exhaust outlets also fitted to Transom.

Mdu

Martin13

« Reply #283 on: June 10, 2010, 10:30:11 am »

Either side of the aft superstructure are two boxes marked "C.R Vent". I have no idea what the purpose of these boxes but are very visible on my photo's of BB. The boxes have mesh fitted to one side and I have been unable to purchase mesh of the correct scale and size - so I had to make these as well.
For the mesh I used 0.5mm square strip and made up a panel 75mm x 45mm. A couple of pics showing my insanity %%

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #284 on: June 10, 2010, 10:39:13 am »

After the mesh was completed and fitted to the CR Vent assemblies, 2 x hatches and 2 x BA Stowage boxes along with a Cordage reel were also constructed.

The finished items after painting.

Mdu

Martin13

« Reply #285 on: June 10, 2010, 11:16:06 am »

Pictures showing exhaust and BA Stowage boxes fitted.

Mdu

Martin13

« Reply #286 on: June 10, 2010, 11:25:19 am »

All that's needed to complete the aft superstructure (excluding Bofor) is the fitting of a handrail at the front and the construction/fitting of a compass mounted on the forward area (just aft of the shroud).

Pictures showing current status....

Martin du

Lt. Raen

« Reply #287 on: June 10, 2010, 12:09:52 pm »

WOW
what a great build excellent work mate

just one question, where do you get your plasticard from

Cheers, Tim

Martin13

« Reply #288 on: June 10, 2010, 12:43:20 pm »

WOW
what a great build excellent work mate

just one question, where do you get your plasticard from

Cheers, Tim
G'Day Tim,

Glad you like the build. I buy all my profiles direct from Plastruct in the US - works out cheaper in the long run even with postage.

Good to see another Aussie. :-))

Martin

Lt. Raen

« Reply #289 on: June 10, 2010, 01:00:44 pm »

Thanks for that Martin, have been on the look out for a good supplier for a while so will have a look at these guys next time i need any  :-))

:} haha yeah not too many of us Aussies on here, seems to be a lot from the old motherland though lol

In good humour, Tim

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #290 on: June 10, 2010, 04:19:03 pm »

Looking really good Martin. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

pugwash

« Reply #291 on: June 10, 2010, 05:41:17 pm »

smashing job you are doing with your BB.  Takes me back to when I was a very young Sea Cadet, with 11 others
we got a trip out on her into the Solent and round the Isle of Wight.  Very wet, very fast but brilliant then
transferred by seaboat to HMS Brocklesby and four day journey to Grimsby. After that what could I do but
join up (as did 3 others) and spent the next 10 yrs on frigates and destroyers but never saw BB again

Pugwash

Gra

« Reply #292 on: June 11, 2010, 08:21:00 am »

Hi Martin,
Looking very good keep up the good work.
For your info the council is about to extend and refurbish our clubhouse.In about 3 months clubhouse should be big enough to handle your Brave Borderer.

Graham.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #293 on: June 11, 2010, 10:22:56 am »

Pugwash
FYI
BB and Brave Swordsman were taken to Pembroke Dock in the early 70's to be used as targets on the Aberporth Range.
Obviously the gunnery/rocketry/torpedory were not up to much as they were sold off a few years later.
Swordsman has since been broken up but I'm not sure of the fate of BB

Yours aye

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

vintagent

« Reply #294 on: June 11, 2010, 10:31:32 am »

Am I right in thinking this is your first attempt at scratchbuilding?

Regards,
Vintagent

Martin13

« Reply #295 on: June 14, 2010, 06:13:22 am »

Am I right in thinking this is your first attempt at scratchbuilding?

Regards,
Vintagent

Yes and No.

I have never used styrene or fibreglass prior to this model. All my current knowledge has been supplied through generous information donations and patience from experienced forum members. I have scratch build models mainly from Marine Plywoods, Balsa etc and have only in the past year or so attempting another boat model - though I have designed and built a lot of RC Gliders.

Ned,

Both Swordsman and Borderer were broken up - how sad <:(

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #296 on: June 14, 2010, 06:21:57 am »

Hi Martin,
Looking very good keep up the good work.
For your info the council is about to extend and refurbish our clubhouse.In about 3 months clubhouse should be big enough to handle your Brave Borderer.

Graham.

Great news.
If I bring BB now it will take up one of the 3 benches - a bit unfair to other members  {-) {-) {-) O0
Good to hear the council has finally approved the refurbish - including on site amenities - WOW - saves on a long walk O0

Martin

vintagent

« Reply #297 on: June 14, 2010, 10:31:14 am »

The Council????? Astonishing.
Over here they'd be more likely to shut you down!

That's a very neat job for someone new to the materials. 

Regards,
Vintagent

Martin13

« Reply #298 on: July 20, 2010, 01:42:37 pm »

Time for an update.

I decided to leave the superstructure fittings and return to the hull. The transom needed some extra fittings for completion - these were made from 1.5mm brass and styrene tubing fitted to ends.

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #299 on: July 20, 2010, 02:23:28 pm »

After some lengthy discussions, it was decided that the rudder setup needed revising. With the possible speed capabilities, servo size and linkages including offset rudders - this area required upgrading.

First, with the possible loads applied to the three offset rudders, extra support would be required closer to the top of the rudder posts. For this a piece of 3mm ply spanning all 3 rudders was installed and epoxied to the transom with P38 around rudder tubes.

Second, due to loading, the rudders would operate more efficiently with a push-pull linkage setup.

Third, the existing rudder servo was rated at 4.8kg/cm which seemed a little under powered for the rudders. I purchased another servo but went a little overboard. The new servo has double ball bearings with metal gears and capable of handling loads of 24kg/cm. Yep you guessed it, its a steering servo for a 1/4 scale buggy.

Due to the size of this beast, new problems were encountered. First up I had to relocate where the servo was mounted - that wasn't too bad, next to the transom servo. After reading the information on the servo, it was noted that this beasty requires it's own power source as drain would be too severe on Rx battery - another discussion with Dave at Action and more bits supplied (battery pack, wiring harness, switch etc).

Check out the size of the Rudder Servo...

Martin du
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.