Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gry Maritha  (Read 4754 times)

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Gry Maritha
« on: March 29, 2008, 05:58:32 pm »

Hi all,

I travelled up to Model Slipway today to pick my next project up the Gry Maritha, wont be starting for a couple of weeks until i have finished other bits off but unpacked the kit and truly impressed with the kit, the hull is a good size and no blemishes on it, the styrene packs are 70% die-cut and the rest printed, there are around 600 fittings which are well detailed.  She will have a bow-thruster fitted and will be powered by two MFA 12 volt 6:1 ratio motors, drawings and instructions are excellent as with all Slipways kits.

Roger in France

Re: Gry Maritha
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 06:15:49 pm »

Great start to a "build thread" 6705russell. Do please describe your progress, tips for this build, any problems you encounter and how you overcome them. Lots of photos. Mayhemmers need a regular fix of photos!

We look forward to following your progress. Good luck.

Most of us who have dealt with Modelslipway find their products good and their service excellent.

Roger in France.

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 07:31:48 pm »

Yes i will, might be a bit slow going as work is taking a lot of time up these next few weeks  O0

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 07:50:42 pm »

looks like its going to be a fun build russ.
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 08:25:07 pm »

Yup, I think its going to be a long build after looking at how many parts there are  :o

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 09:04:26 pm »

probably no longer than a matchbox / revel 1/72nd corvette

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 10:20:18 pm »

Not my favourite Slipways model it has to be said but, they do make very good quality kits. A lot of the models are around the metre length and I'd think it would be great if they could re model some kits to be a bit bigger than this  ;D  O0

My Drumbeat just needs the ACTion electrics to be fitted (sorry FLJ I still havent got around to it!) then she's ready to get wet.

I've already got my next Slipway kit, the civvie Envoy. Going to be called 'dirty harry' when launched! (One of the envoy class was called enforcer. Anyone who's seen the 'dirty harry' films will know one of the films is called 'The Enforcer. Geddit?)

Ah well, I'll get me coat  ::)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 03:12:56 pm »

Looking forward to your build, as I would like to follow your route with my attempt. (I need guidance as I'm still learning)

It does look a super Kit.

Cheers...Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 03:41:06 pm »

Wombat already has a thread on the Gry Maitha on this section, but he is going to town with the electronics and working features ;)

Barrie

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 09:20:02 pm »

OK, OK so I haven't posted up anything on it for a long while......

It is an interesting model because it is assymetric. Watch the manual and drawing though - there are a few discrepancies and gaps. Also, don't try to take measurements off the plans - they are slightly below 1:1. Getting photos off the net, I am planning on painting it in the current colour scheme rather than the one in the manual.

Some useful hints here.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/cornwall/videonation/cornwall_seasick?size=4x3&bgc=C0C0C0&nbram=1&bbram=1

So I am putting some time into the electronics.......

I am putting in rotate and raise-lower on the crane (1 motor + 1 servo)
Dual motors,
Bow and Stern Thrusters
Opening main hatch (2 servos)
Opening side door (1 servo)
Extend on side lift (1 servo) plus possibly lift as well (not decided yet - but that will be another servo)

I am also toying with rotate and squirt on the fire monitor.

So it is going to be somewhat OTT. I am toying with running the extra channels using 433MHz - with a bit of telemetry. Will need a few bits and pieces to support this though - I/O controllers mainly - Also a handy little board that takes in a relay contact and moves a servo between two preset positions . I am toying with making this cascadable so you can get several sequences on a contact closure - so for example on the side door a single contact when it closes causes the door to open, the cargo lift to rise and then extend out. When it opens the cargo life retract, lowers and then the door closes.

Of course this may not come to pass - but that is the current target.

So far, the crane is built - though I am not sure how to handle the rotate - I am wondering about putting a potentiometer onto the shaft and building the electronics to effectively run it as a servo - anyone for a servo that will take a 10A motor?
The main hatch is there - both servos are in, but it needs the control gear done. I've cut out the side hatch and got an infill in there - but I may have to pull it out if I decide to put a raise/lower on the lift.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 09:43:48 pm »

Keep us informed of your progress Wombat, its always nice to see the builds progress,  I shall be fitting bow thruster, working crane, lights etc.

With the sun shining all day most of it was spent down the lake so not made a start on the ship apart from making the stand.

Russ

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 07:12:16 pm »

Managed to grab an hour or so on the ship today, made the stand and fitted the propshafts/rudders, just got to smooth off the resin, positioned the motors to check alignment and height but not fixed yet until wired.

Russ

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 11:36:58 am »

Bow thruster fitted, deck supports fitted whilst being weighed down with a few batteries as the hull had a slight twist in it and a start made on the rear deck, i have deviated slightly from instructions and supported with 5mm x 5mm timber instead of styrene strips just for a bit more stiffness on the deck.

Russ

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 01:07:49 pm »

looks good Russ :) how bad was the twist?

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 05:09:32 pm »

Hey up mate  O0

It was only a slight twist in her hull, once  i had laid some heavy weight in and fixed the dech supports with some epoxy it was fine, turning out to be a cracking kit to work with. I shall start spraying the hull tomorrow.

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 10:00:57 pm »

Hull now sprayed, cold in the garage so while the missus had gone to have a shower i quickly made use of the plinth heater in the kitchen, brilliant for drying the hull  O0

Captain Jack

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 12:13:46 am »

Hull now sprayed, cold in the garage so while the missus had gone to have a shower i quickly made use of the plinth heater in the kitchen, brilliant for drying the hull  O0
[/quote
Ok, someone please tell this Yank what a "plinth" heater is! I spend way too much time trying to translate the queens english into Texas southern drawl!  :o

OMK

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 01:13:01 am »

A plinth heater? That's an easy one.
The plinth is small panel which sits between floor level and the bottom of the cupboards - approx' 7 inches height. (I think over your way you call it the 'kicker panel' or some such?). It is usually set back a couple inches from the front of the cupboards in order that you don't stub your toes when you're stood at the kitchen sink, washing the dishes.
An airvent/grille is fixed to the front of the plinth, and behind the grille is the actual heater itself. The heater is usually tapped into the central-heating system (or some use an electrical heating element), and a motorized fan blows warm air into the room.
If you grok picture #033 you can just and just see the top-left corner of the grille, but mostly obscured by the model.

Top regards from Blighty.

Captain Jack

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 01:40:27 am »

Well explained, sir! Consider me "enlightened". I was kinda thinking it was a different term for a blow dryer, commonly used by the missus for her morning hair ritual! I have my own blow dryer in my shop of course, for speeding up the drying of epoxies, paint, ect. I find it a very handy tool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.