Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Super Glue  (Read 6051 times)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
Super Glue
« on: March 30, 2008, 02:27:27 pm »

Having never ever used up a complete tube of super glue.

I mistakenly bought a tube of super glue gel.

This was great as I used the whole tube up without any loss at all.

Next time in B & Q I mistakingly bought a plastic bottle of super glue.

Opened it up today to see that they have given you a little brush to put the glue on. Problem solved of not having anymore tops stuck to the tube and I don't have to  throw out any tubes with lots of glue still it.

Great how you learn by your mistakes.  O0

Martin   :D

Martin13

Re: Super Glue
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 10:38:52 pm »

Having never ever used up a complete tube of super glue.

Problem solved of not having anymore tops stuck to the tube and I don't have to  throw out any tubes with lots of glue still it.

Great how you learn by your mistakes.  O0

If ever I was fortunate enough to actually use up all the glue without the said problem, I kept the empty bottle just in case.
Have thrown out too many half used bottles in the past.
How quick does the Gel type set?

The other Martin, the Doon under one or is that the under done one...Hmmmm ???

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 07:42:09 am »

Hi martin

I found that the gel was a little forgiving, a lot easy to work with it being thicker and gave another 15 seconds so mess about with.

Will be using the brush and bottle from now on. Although I haven't tried the brush/bottle yet I expect to save a small fortune.

Glad somebody realised what this thread was about !!!

What have you all learned by your own mistakes or little happy accidents. ???

Martin  :D

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 05:22:41 pm »

Seaspray I have been using the brushable super glue for some time now.

One word of advise, make sure the surface you applying the glue to is very clean otherwise you will do what I did.

Transferred some dirt into the bottle the next time I went to open it theglue had set solid with the brush in it. As you say we learn by our mistakes.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 05:29:56 pm »

Hi Colin  O0

Maybe I would consider using a small second container like I do when painting the house. Keeping the main full container away from the on going work.

Never put your paint brush into the can it came in.

My son used it today and i can still get the top off hhmmmm early days yet l.o.l

cheers

Martin  :D

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 07:16:09 pm »

How quick does the Gel type set?

I have used the Star Lock (5 Star) variety and also the Loctite. The main advantage I found was that the glue stays where you put it - even if its a vertical surface. Sets a little slower than the very thin I found. Star Lock also sell replacement nozzles for there bottles.

Barrie

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 07:32:44 pm »

Funny stuff ... super glue

Sometimes it joins two items instantly. Other time it seems to take ages.

Evidently the secret is in the lack of AIR surrounding the joint.  For example,  if two pieces of glass are pressed together with a tiny drop in between, you can see the glue spread out massively and stick like thunder. If you put a drop on a piece of plastic and rest an item on it and wait, it will take much, much longer.

I've found it very useful for sealing a "Stanley Knife" cut to the finger. It sticks very quick under these circumstances.  8)  Stays on for a few days and seals the wound nicely. (don't know about the poison qualities though!)

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

chingdevil

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 08:20:54 pm »

Ken

That is what super glue was invented for, sealing wounds on a battle field. (now I am not saying your workshop is a battle field) I believe it was invented during the Vietnam war, do not quote me on that.

Brian

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 09:08:42 pm »

Breathing on superglue makes it set quicker - it's the moisture in your breath that does it.

andygh

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 09:14:56 pm »

Stings a bit in cuts don't it  :'(

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 08:00:38 am »

Hi Brian  O0
I did hear long ago that superglue did come from a medical background Mind you its a dab hand at sticking your fingers together l.o.l.

Hi Barriew  O0
Could never use superglue on a vertical surface because I think I used too much on the area, so I'll have that in mind when I try it again. I'll buy some Lock Star 5* and try that. Although I'll still lean towards using the superglue Gel at the moment.

Hi tug  O0
Yes air plays a part in drying superglue at times I've had a dried lump with no chance of it joining the job together.

Martin :D

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 09:16:36 am »

Hi Barriew  O0
Could never use superglue on a vertical surface because I think I used too much on the area, so I'll have that in mind when I try it again. I'll buy some Lock Star 5* and try that. Although I'll still lean towards using the superglue Gel at the moment.

Martin, The 5 * variety I was referring to is a gel - comes in a bottle rather than a tube, but otherwise the same!

Barrie

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 11:12:03 am »

SUPERGLUE GEL IS TOPS,

THE GEL DOES NOT DRIBBLE, RUN, AND I HAVE NEVER THROWN A TUBE AWAY HALF FULL, - I USE ACTIVATOR ON IT AT ALL TIMES, AND THE LOW BLOOM STUFF IS  THE ONE TO GO FOR....

ITS A THIXOTROPIC ADHESIVE, SO  REMEMBER IF USING IT WITH ACTIVATOR HEAT IS PRODUCED !!!- DONT USE ACTIVATOR IF YOU ARE STICKING YOUR FLESH BACK TOGETHER AS ALL YOULL DO IS SWAP A CUT FOR A BURN !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 11:30:14 am »

Must admit its just latey I've started using it. Was an epoxy man till converted

I am just waiting to see who has it manufactured in a roll on, like some of these under arm thingies

Martin13

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 12:45:56 pm »

Once you have stuck your fingers together, will the debonder release them or burn your fingers instead - its getting really difficult to hold a cuppa >>:-( >>:-(

Martin doon under

Damien

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 01:37:44 pm »

Acetone will de-bond fingers to fingers, fingers to rags or balsa as well as bits stuck in wrong places, there's no heat involved with de-bonding i know from experience.
Damien.

Martin13

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 08:13:27 pm »

Acetone will de-bond fingers to fingers, fingers to rags or balsa as well as bits stuck in wrong places, there's no heat involved with de-bonding i know from experience.
Damien.

Thanks Damien, much easier to hold a cup now. great to see you posting O0

Martin doon under

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 05:47:01 pm »

Dear All,

Here is a very useful tip advised to me by a supplier, and I pass same on to you as it will save you wasting glue.

Once you open a factory sealed superglue keep it in the fridge. After you have broken the factory seal that's that, and you must look after it. I have proved this advice to be absolutely and totally correct: I had bought four 'squeeze bottles', and the first started to 'degrade' and become less effective after a couple of weeks (after ten months of non use it's gone solid - was never in the fridge after opening), the others (one liquid, two gel), are fine and work as they should even after 6 to 10 months or more from opening. Do not leave the cap off in between use times, and place it back in the fridge as soon as you have finished with it - if you have to leave your model for an hour or two put the glue back in the fridge. Also, and just as important, prior to putting the container in the fridge, cut a 6" length of Selotape and wrap it tightly around the container between cap and container join (obviously makes another seal) - this tape can be used many times without using a new piece everytime.

Ok, so this is something else to remember, and a habit to be got into, BUT, it will save you money :) O0 :angel:

Regards, Bernard

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 06:02:57 pm »

Hi there one and all,

just a little sidenote, when using Superglue and heat When you heat Superglue up to the point where it is going to be or is burning - remember the vapours/fumes contain cyanide and also if inhaled, apart from the obvious danger, one of the really bad side effects are flu symptoms for at least 48 hours, if you are lucky, slightly worse if you are unlucky - SO TAKE CARE EVERYONE

aye
john
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 06:06:16 pm »

"Superglue" does not stick to everything...as we all know. So why do the manufacturers persist in fitting caps that DO stick to the glue. That is becoming a major niggle with me as this stuff is not cheap (normally). No matter how careful I am in cleaning off the nozzle I finish up slicing the top off making the hole bigger. It has to be a conspiracy to make use chuck things away and buy anew.
Notes from a simple seaman

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 08:34:19 pm »

just a little sidenote, when using Superglue and heat When you heat Superglue up to the point where it is going to be or is burning - remember the vapours/fumes contain cyanide and also if inhaled, apart from the obvious danger, one of the really bad side effects are flu symptoms for at least 48 hours, if you are lucky, slightly worse if you are unlucky - SO TAKE CARE EVERYONE

It wont happen in use normaly (when heating it) , there is a chance of cyanide production if you burn it with a flame, with heat (unless very very hot) all that will happen is the ca will vapourise , it will normaly vapourise before it gets hot enough to `crack it` at atmospheric pressure , not good to breathe it though! , they had problems of workers on assembley lines in japan and china with soldering CA'd electronic components having asthma attacks and headaches

"Superglue" does not stick to everything...as we all know. So why do the manufacturers persist in fitting caps that DO stick to the glue. That is becoming a major niggle with me as this stuff is not cheap (normally). No matter how careful I am in cleaning off the nozzle I finish up slicing the top off making the hole bigger. It has to be a conspiracy to make use chuck things away and buy anew.

Its no conspiracy! you can make CA stick to anything , in the right conditions , even teflon

glue bottles are chemicaly unbondable!......... the problem is the surface is not perfectly smooth as well so you can get mechanical interloc between the adhesive and the plastic surface, just like on a threaded cap, the glue doesnt need to bond it, it just fills up the gap in the thread... locking it in postion , once you scratch a nozzle clean it will bond easier next time, use a sharp knife to open a bottle , not pliers,blunt scissors etc ue something that gives a smooth cut

packing CA is a complex area as CA sticks 99% of everything, there are lots of patents about non stick applicators and bottles the problem is the better the CA the more `non stick` the bottle needs to be, the one thing most people want a superglue for in DIY is use on plastic

there are a very very limited range of materials CA can be stored in contact with, even down to the exact brand of plastic it can make a difference on storage, the plastics used in all our bottles are materials that can not be bonded without a primer, most CA bottles are a similar type (not identical, but similar) , bottle and nozzle of polyethylene, outer cap of polypropylene or polyethylene

You cant just buy a bottle for CA, its easy to buy a bottle for 99% of chemicals, but with CA the manufacturers of any bottle give no waranty as to the use of it in contact with CA , we specify the exact grade of plastics for most bottles, after the bottles are delivered (or with a few of the sizes ,after we blowmould them) the bottles/nozzles are sent to be surface treated and then coated to further reduce the ability to be bonded

The coating makes the bottle suitable for long term storage of the CA and further helps to prevent any adhesion to the polyethylene , on top of that our nozzles have a CA stabiliser incorporated to prevent it setting on the nozzle as easily

To store a CA you should always

Keep it upright, as dark and cold as possible, keep the cap on when your storing it
Before storing it tap the bottle gently on a table or flick the nozzle to remove any residual glue in the nozzle, if theres no glue there it will not block
If you start to get any build up on the outside of the nozzle, just let it keep it building up...... until it causes a problem!, let it dry as much as possible, building up to a size were you can crack it off, wiping a thin layer off over and over again every time you use it can make the nozzle bond! ,  the less you wipe it the better
Dont touch the nozzle were activator has been sprayed, best to put the cap on the CA before using activator, best to use pump spray or brush on activator, avoid aerosols as they spray so much the activator gets in the air for hours

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 09:07:37 pm »

Re fumes from superglue, we did go over this on a previous topic quite a while ago and I can only re-itterate that which I said in a previous post...THIS STUFF IS NASTY! If used in an unventilated area, constant exposure to the fumes will affect you and can lead to asthma attacks and severe irritation to the airway... I know this for a fact as I have suffered exactly these symptoms. My own stupid fault but I did not heed the warnings on the bottle.
 With constant exposure in an unventilated confined space, your sense of smell will eventually diminish and you will carry on breathing the fumes quite unaware of the horrors going on in your windpipe. Eventually you will wind up with a severe cough and wheezing and in a bad case, you will have to seek medical help. It may affect some more readily than others and in my case I was using a lot of it but beware, regardless of quantity DO ventilate the area thoroughly during and after use.
The remarks about refrigerated storage are valid, the stuff keeps almost indefinately and I have kept bottles for ages under these conditions.
When using cyno for tiny jobs, I simply put a small spot on the desk and dip the end of a watchmakers screwdriver in it and apply it to the job this way. That spot on the bench will stay liquid for ages so make sure you get rid of it before you stick yourself or your job to the worksurface!   

Martin13

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 10:16:26 pm »

The remarks about refrigerated storage are valid, the stuff keeps almost indefinately and I have kept bottles for ages under these conditions.
When using cyno for tiny jobs, I simply put a small spot on the desk and dip the end of a watchmakers screwdriver in it and apply it to the job this way. That spot on the bench will stay liquid for ages so make sure you get rid of it before you stick yourself or your job to the worksurface!   

Now that's two handy tips that I was not aware of - thanks gents

Martin doon  under

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 10:16:21 am »

Dear All,

Just another little thing that is useful.

Do not throw away any worn out socks!!! - partic. nylon. They are invaluable for wiping clean nozzles (single swipe), parts that have glue on but you want it off, spills etc., etc., and are first class for wiping paint brushes during use to get bit's off - and before washing them in thinners. Since old socks have been washed many times (well I presume most have washed them many times!!!), all loose stuff has long gone and you will find very few bit's of material come away.

Re putting a small spot of glue and dipping into it as Sheerline says really does work and is very useful. Furthermore, wood double pointed tooth picks are ideal for working with this (you can sharpen or blunt to requirement), and a quick wipe with an old sock cleans them straight away ready for re-use.

With cotton flags, I discovered that by using cheap and cheerful superglue - the types you see at most street markets - they are perfect for treating them before trimming and fitting. It is obviously important to find the right cheap glue, as you don't want model makers A1 100% glue otherwise you will be in trouble! Also, it's best to open this cheap glue, do not refrigerate, and just leave it lying around for a few weeks (with the cap on firmly but not tight - and let it weather. Your want the stuff that takes about 5 or 15 mins. to go off!!! - you know the stuff, we have all bought it once or twice (well I did before I starting modelling anyway!). Keep your BECC flag on the sheet it comes on, pull it back so that it can stand up vertically by itself, place a piece of white card underneath, get your cheap glue and place a few spots sufficient to lightly wet all over the flag, get your forefinger and with a couple or few quick wipes (away from where the flag is attached to the supply paper), spread/wipe over the whole flag, then quickly wipe your finger on an old sock, and quickly do the same again over the flag if need be to make sure everything is covered. If the glue is right you can do the other side straight away (same process), and then bend the flag upright and leave for 24hrs or so. You want the flag damp with the glue and not wet. Now, I don't want to be responsible for people all over the world getting their fingers stuck by using good efficient 100% high strength A1 glue, so I state very clearly again... ONLY USE CHEAP AND CHEERFULL SUPERGLUE - THE STUFF THAT GOES OFF SLOWLY. The result is a flag that looks good (the glue just slightly darkens the colours), is very easy to trim, and it will never 'loose' material - it can also be worked in the normal way to get the 'flutter affect' you might want.

When I did my first flag about 1.5 yrs ago using the instructions of putting glue round the edges, all that happened was a darkened line around the edge of the flag and I didn't like the result at all. So, thinking there must be a better way, used this flag as my template for the above idea - and have used it from then onwards.

I hope someone might find this of use as it does work, BUT, again, PLEEEESE, make sure the glue you use for this flag method is the WEAK TYPE, and is also 'OLD'.

Regards, Bernard

banjo

Re: Super Glue Tip about tips
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2008, 10:56:04 am »

;)

Axminster sell replacement nozzles for super glue bottles!!

;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.