Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Protech Racer 380  (Read 3402 times)

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
Protech Racer 380
« on: April 11, 2006, 06:46:37 pm »

Has anyone seen the ARTR racer, that protech have brought out, fit a servo, ESC,battery and radio gear and you are away. I like racing the club500 but it looks like a good one to try.

I was thinking of getting one to try out, just seeing if anyone has bought one yet

marc
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

Fast Electricals

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Protech Racer 380
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 10:39:25 pm »

I know that Allan from Astec has them in stock. The spec looks pretty reasonable and they should make a good club racing boat (possibly a rival for the club 500!). I have yet to see one run though.

Neil

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 10:07:52 pm »

Hi Neil,

I run the club500's (well when I haven't killed them) and when I saw this in the local model shop I too thought of a trying it out in races like the 500's. It's cheap enough to have a go. When I had a good look it reminded me of the falcon that Astec sell. I noticed on your website you have a sloopy what are they like to race.

Riggers

Fast Electricals

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 07:40:47 pm »

The Sloopy was the boat to have in the mid 1990s. They used to run in the Formula 2 & 3 class. Formula 3 was restricted to sealed can motors and 6 cells. A Formula 2 boat could run on 7 cells and any 540 sized brushed motor.  The boats were much faster than the Club 500 is today and could turn on a sixpence.

Battery and motor technology has moved on and the Sloopy is no longer competitive against the more exotic hulls now raced to European rules using the latest brushless motors and high capacity batteries. Formula 3 was a very popular racing class (mainly due to the low initial set-up cost) and quite a few racers would like to see a the return of this simpler form of racing.     

Neil   

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 09:07:56 pm »

Hi Neil,

So what is the simpler form of racing they are thinking about.

Marc

Fast Electricals

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 10:41:49 am »

Generally restricted motors and cells. SWAMBC has some good ideas. They have a RTR (ready to run) class which is popular with both the  experienced racers and beginners, as well as keeping the old formula 3 and formula 2 class alive. The biggest challenge with restricted racing is to keep the rules simple and easy to enforce.

Neil 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.