Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuel tax act now  (Read 2839 times)

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Fuel tax act now
« on: March 24, 2008, 03:28:59 pm »

We know what the politicians think of motorists. Now let them know what we think of them - Boycott all elections until it comes down by 50%. And while we're at it, and to keep the exchequer happy, legalize posession of all drugs, but make them a state monoploly and make the penalty for unauthorised dealing life imprisonment. So any idiot can buy his coke/grass/horse etc at fixed prices at Boots, and the government can buy the Afghan poppy crop to keep the Taliban farmers happy.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Fuel tax act now
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 03:54:42 pm »

tobyker,
A rather a simplistic stance, especially as most people don't vote anyway.
The activists will always vote so you just let fewer voters choose the government and therefore the policies.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 04:06:31 pm »

if everyone were to not tuse there cars for a week, weell, the public transport system would collapse, and all the fuel companies would have a thing to say to our much respected goverment.
grumpy old XXX

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 11:15:17 am »

The government, of whatever colour, wouldn't give a monkeys about the collapse of public transport.  It doesn't use it.  Also, in many areas, public transport collapsed many years ago.  I live in an area where it still exists, even if I dont know when or where any of it goes, but many people live where public transport is a theory rather than a fact.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 03:38:45 pm »

easiest option, blockade the refineries!!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 07:20:59 pm »

if everyone were to not tuse there cars for a week, weell, the public transport system would collapse, and all the fuel companies would have a thing to say to our much respected goverment.
And you would starve if food didn't get to the supermarkets. Your central heating system would fail and the oil companies would have more fuel "in the bank". Us "Joe Publics" would suffer most.
Notes from a simple seaman

bigfella

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 02:00:23 am »

I have always had a theory that those who don't vote have no right to complain. If everyone is unsatisfied with a policy or a government then the only way is to go out and vote that government out. It is OK to sit there and complain and when it comes time to actually make a change you just sit there and do nothing. 100% voting is the only way to keep the whole population happy.

Had my say, now back in my box.

Regards David

Roger in France

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 06:53:33 am »

I think we are beginning to stray from the subject of this theme "Fuel Tax" . Can we be careful please?

Roger in France
Global Moderator

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 10:07:52 pm »

We've got to find a way to hurt these (mainly professional) politicians. We won't have the option of voting for a party that will cut fuel tax, so what else can we do? Boycotting elections would at least show them that we are fed up with them. If I do vote for Mr Cameron, will I be able to go to Tesco on my pushbike and have a government car to follow me home with my shopping?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 10:17:26 pm »

Thinking back to my previous experiences with Camerons predecessors, I would reckon having a bike would put you in the well-off bracket. 
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 10:33:04 pm »

i know this is slightly off the thread. so sorry. If fuel prices keep on rising in the Western world some will give. IE you cant have pay rise to keep up with the % of fuel rises in general if you did inflation would take off . In turn devaluing the currency causing fuel prices to rise even faster. The government is in a tight spot of there own making .People in this country are beaning forced in to fuel poverty IE they can not afford to live . This is happing more and more as the price of fuel governs most prices. As much as i support protest against fuel prices I  believe market force will have the final say. Who would want to be on the government that made the UK a country were most of it voter are in poverty. in the slowness of time some thing will give what only time will tell but this current trend is unsustainable.

john

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 10:11:26 am »

Dear All,

As to action, well, there are a few options. The fuel blockades/protests some years ago did certainly work and shook the Govt. a bit, however, the Govt. then introduced a law to prevent this with all sorts of penalties - probably treated as treason now! (- in fact any opposition to this Govt. seems to be treated as treasonable now, and nothing can get them to resign whatever wrong they might do!). The public being apathetic these days, there is little chance of getting such similarly effective protest up-&-running again. In comparison, the French have it well and truly sorted out... if they don't like something watchout... motorways blocked, vehicles burnt, whole systems brought to a grinding halt, and their Police stand by making token gestures as they also agree... the result... guess what, things get changed!

There is another effective way. Choose the oil Co.'s who are charging more than the others and simply start using those Co.'s who are cheaper... the result, the Co.'s who start to feel the pinch reduce their prices... you start using them again, BUT, the previous Co. you were using reduces it's prices to get you back!!! The result is two fold: you get cheaper fuel, but you also find out which Co.'s are involved with price fixing! - and then report it to the Ombudsman for enquiries to be made!

The ultimate "act now" is a General Strike in protest at the excessive tax we pay on fuel and everything... but the chances of getting everybody pulling together on the same rope is remote in GB these days. Plenty of moaning and groaning but no guts in the population to do anything about it! - what's worse is the Govt. knows this!!!

There is an old proven equation: get 5% of a population solidly behind something and the rest will quickly follow. So, if 100 Mayhemer's get 10 people each to agree to participate per day, and these in turn get 10 each day, and those in turn get 10 each day etc., etc. and so on, it would in theory only take a month to achieve the target!!! - in theory, after four or five months there would be nearly enough for a General Strike!

If only!

Regards, Bernard

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 10:21:35 am »

I think we are beginning to stray from the subject of this theme "Fuel Tax" . Can we be careful please?

Roger in France
Global Moderator

When did you go green Roger ? :-\
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Roger in France

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 10:31:52 am »

I last went green crossing the Atlantic in 1968!

What I was referring to was straying from a discussion on "protesting about fuel tax" and moving towards discussing "voting habits".

The latter is a perfectly valid topic but would be better in its own thread. It would also need to be discussed in a civilised manner which does not descend into the kind of aggressive, name calling which such politicised topics can engender.

Roger in France.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 10:37:21 am »

No Roger, I meant when did you become a Forum policeman  :police:

You know. Roger in France
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Roger in France

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 10:40:59 am »

I was going to comment on the reference to French protests.

Folk need to remember that many counties have a very different system than the UK. For example, in France all public protest gatherings are illegal unless you apply to the Departmental Prefect for permission. The "Prefect" is the personal appointee of the President and he is given amazing, personal powers to ensure that the Government's policies are carried out in every Department (roughly similar to a large English county).

The Prefect usually grants permission and also sends a detachment of police to ensure that protesters can conduct their protest as approved by him. Which is why the police appear to be doing nothing. Of course the police are supposed to intervene if protesters or anti-protesters go too far.

(Amazing things you learn on Mayhem!).

Roger in France.

Roger in France

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 10:48:17 am »

Dicky D,

I became a Moderator when Martin invited and appointed me a few weeks back.

If I continue my comments about things French. The big difference between the French Gendarmerie and the British Police Force is that the Gendarme is there to "control" whereas the Bobby is there to "assist" (granted it does not always seem like it). It is not a subtle difference, nobody ever called a Gendarme "subtle"!

Mayhem Moderators definitely do not seek to "control" the Forum but they do much to "assist" it.

Roger in France.

djrobbo

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 10:51:10 am »

Hi all ....i think we have been here before >:( . the sad truth is that while we have such a dire public transport system i.e unreliable. dirty. expensive , and in some areas non existant , we will never get a fair deal on fuel prices . The thieving government knows only too well that most people would not or could not rely on public transport and need to rely on the use of their own transport methods >>:-( , therefore the price we all pay will never be fair. And it doesn't matter which group of twits we have governing us it will not change . if you were in their position would you kill off such a lucrative cash cow ? And as for lets all stand together and make a difference , dream on ! . :'( it aint gonna happen .

gonna go lay down in a dark room now ,..

regards..bob.

wbeedie

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 11:14:32 pm »

There certainly are murmurings in the fishing communities just now about fuel prices but that is for red diesel , the problem is nobody sticks together in this country and prefer to bury their heads in the sand ,the press started to turn public opinion against the blockaders last time round with stories of emergency vehicles not getting fuel and for any blockade to work you need to keep Joe Public on side.This island of ours could be brought to its knees by very few people as the likes of Grangemouths maritme fuel transport could effectively be stopped by two fishing vessels I dont know abou other refineries locations but the Government couldnt turn against everyone and jail you the most they could do is charge and release as jails are full of "real" criminals to the point of bursting but everything would have to be planned well involving Maritime vessels,truckers and farmers for it to work with the blue light services never being stopped from fueling up even if it meant garages stopping fuel to the masses for these essential services to keep operating
Enough rabbiting fro me now
           gonna go lay down in a dark room now
Hi all ....i think we have been here before >:( . the sad truth is that while we have such a dire public transport system i.e unreliable. dirty. expensive , and in some areas non existant , we will never get a fair deal on fuel prices . The thieving government knows only too well that most people would not or could not rely on public transport and need to rely on the use of their own transport methods >>:-( , therefore the price we all pay will never be fair. And it doesn't matter which group of twits we have governing us it will not change . if you were in their position would you kill off such a lucrative cash cow ? And as for lets all stand together and make a difference , dream on ! . :'( it aint gonna happen .

regards..bob.
Where I stay the public transport system is a non starter for the outlying communitie one bus to and from theprinciple village on the Isle of Skye so we need cars to survive up here

formidable

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 08:30:38 pm »

Who you going to vote in they are all the same.They have thier chance to vote against these proposales but they dont???
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.