Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Goblin  (Read 3772 times)

GG

Goblin
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:20:31 pm »

This started out as an idea to lure modellers away from their motors and into the world of sail powered models.  The hull is about 24 inches long, being constructed from liteply with scraps of plywood and balsa.  The mast is aluminium tube which, at this size, requires no standing rigging.  The sails are cut from tracing paper, strong enough, sufficiently water resistant and cheap!, secured to the mast and booms with clear waterproof self-adhesive tape.

To make it as painless as possible a transition to sail power, two channel RC is used for rudder and a small electric motor.  That's right, the sails are not adjustable via RC and there is a motor inside it!   Learning how to adjust the sails whilst sailing, admittedly the key to the successfully operation of any yacht, can be very tricky and off-putting for the novice.  Setting the sails at around 20-30 degrees to the centreline allows this model to perform safely with the bonus of using the electric motor to get out of the inevitable difficulties.

Early tests have shown good stability, what else with some 1 kg of lead in the bulb.   The hull is quite dry due to the generous freeboard and flare so a simple hatch and deck coaming is more than enough to keep the insides dry.  Still some fine tuning to do but it looks like becoming a relaxing model to sail whilst waiting for my fast electric models to cool down.
Glynn Guest

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Goblin
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 12:49:34 pm »

Glyn,

She looks nice, relaxing and modestly canvassed (or should that be mylared)

I like the sheer line - very deep-water. 
For my money I would ballast the stern a bit lower and get the bows and sheer well up, but as Martin says "what do I know?"

I'm lucky - my radio has 3 channels so I can put a sail servo on the throttle channel

andrew

Dekan

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 09:01:09 pm »

Did the Goblin get published ?

GG

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:21:42 am »

Yes, "Model Boats" April 2009 issue
GlynnG

Dekan

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 01:06:04 pm »

Thanks GG, I have just ordered your book from amazon.... Have you done any cabin cruiser plans?

GG

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 03:41:26 pm »

No
GlynnG

Dekan

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 06:59:43 pm »

Ok

Jbird

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 07:34:22 pm »

Glynn,

I am building the Breeze, with the intention of having rudder control. I have several of your plans; have you ever thought of making a more traditional sailing ship such as a sloop or brig using your usual building technic?

GG

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 08:21:47 pm »

Yes
GlynnG

Dekan

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 09:36:17 pm »

I got your book today....Some of the plans just need scaling up a little

Jbird

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 10:24:00 am »

Glynn, could you give a clue as to what kind of traditional sailing craft you had in mind? I was just curious. Thank you.

GG

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 01:25:40 pm »

Many different ideas over the years but nothing went beyond an idle doodle.
Glynn

Dekan

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 05:27:50 pm »

GG, I didn't go for the Goblin..In the end I bought a Gremlin plan... it seems a bit short of detail on the sail dimensions  though ..I should be able to work it out..I will probably carbon rods for the sail and boom.... 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.