Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wherry  (Read 5092 times)

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Wherry
« on: March 31, 2008, 12:57:10 am »

Has anyone a photo pf the aft deck of a Norfolk wherry? The Mitchell Library doesn't have a copy of the standard work on the subject. I think the helmsman stands in a small well but I can't find any photos taken from above deck level.

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
Re: Wherry
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 03:52:28 pm »

Hi tobyker
Yes you are correct, the helmsman does stand in a small cockpit, or at least he does on the Albion. A friend of mine has built a very good model of the Albion which has been seen by the Norfolk Wherry Trust.
Go to google images and look at www.gatehousecottagedenver.co.uk  and  www.wherryalbion.com
You can see in some of these photographs that the helmperson as there are women at the helm as well as men are stood in the cockpit which is about thigh high. If I am able to get anymore information from my friend I will pass it on.
Alan

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 11:03:42 pm »

Thanks Alan - That wherry on the cottage site is well reefed! I've looked at the Albion site but I can't find any pictures looking down on the deck, and its too far to go and stand on Potter bridge waiting.....

BJH

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 12:38:05 pm »

Hi

I took a photos of the model that Alan mentions at the last Southwater Dabblers regatta. If you do a search on "Southwater Dabblers Regatta 9/9/07"  you will find a copy of this that I posted.

BJH

BJH

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 12:43:29 pm »

Hi,

If you can't find it try this

Regards,

BJH

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 05:40:20 pm »

The photo posted by BJH is of the model I was talking about.
Alan

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 11:03:01 pm »

Thanks - I can't find the link but the picture of the model is extremely useful. Toby.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 09:21:13 pm »

I know this a trifle late but it may be handy.

There are two wherry publications that may be useful 1) 'Black Sailed Traders' by Roy  Clark, years out of print now but still available from Amazon's 2nd hand bit, which has two drawings of the 'Gleaner' on the fly leafs which are small but well detailed, and lots of photos.

2) 'How a Norfolk Wherry was built circa 1925' by Mike Fuller. The latter is a plastic bound set of A4 sheets printed by the Norfolk Broads Museum at Stalham and has a drawing of every bit of a wherry you'd ever need.  :)

If you could get to the Museum at Stalham they have a complete wherry stern section right inside the building, and you can go aboard and see just what it was like. The cabin is positively munute......

Regards
Kit

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 10:34:24 pm »

Tobyker,

Yes, as a Norfolk resident I can assure you that the Museum of the Broads ( http://www.northnorfolk.org/museumofthebroads/default.asp ) is well worth a visit. Apart from all the info on wherries they have some interesting models, plus a 1:1 scale steamboat giving river trips.

Rick

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 07:08:02 pm »

Thanks, Chaps. It is a bit of a step from Saltcoats to the museum of the broads, but next time I'm staying down there I'll have to try to look in. I have started bodging anyway and now have a (hard chine) hull planked up with the deck, rig and electrics to do. To those who will say it doesn't look anything like a wherry the reply is "OK, a wherry doesn't look anything like this either". She's about 31" loa which is slightly larger than a 1/2" scale Gleaner or Albion, which I think were about 58' loa.  Simple hull, big loose footed gaff rig - it's keeping me off the streets while SWMBO watches the telly. But does anyone know the shape of the sail? What's the angle at the throat? It looks quite high peaked, but I guess it would need to be to get close to the wind.(I've got a couple of electric boats half done, but they are a bit like Jap fours - they just go whoosh)  Now off to the Noth norfolk website.... I once had a holiday job building wooden Folkboats in a Wroxham boatyard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.