Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elco 80  (Read 3104 times)

Spyderman_uk

Elco 80
« on: March 27, 2008, 12:58:46 am »

Hi all, my name is Terry and I am an alcoholic! Oops, sorry, wrong forum! ;)

I have inherited a MTB that I believe was built around 20+ years ago. I don't know anything about the model, but have managed to find some information on the net mainly thanks to folk from Scale Models Forum. It is one of those guys that recommended I try here for more help.
The boat I have has the registration PT201 on the hull. This I assumed to be correct and so started searching for information about it. This lead me to believe it was a Higgins 78 that was transferred to the RN and served in the Med as MGB181, later to be transfered to the Yugoslav Navy. Anyway cutting a long story short it turns out that my boat looks more like an Elco 80 than any other type of boat. So I have decided to restore it to either a RON 29 or a RON 34/35 boat. My preference is towards RON 29 as they served for longer under British jurisdiction in the Med and saw more action. Fleet numbers are PT552 - PT563 for Ron 29 and PT498 - 521 for Ron 34/35.
My question is, does anyone know of anywhere I can find images and data about these boats?
I would also be interested if anyone knew of any kits or plans that this boat may have been built from!

Any help would be most appreciated.
Terry

Proteus

Re: Elco 80
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 01:15:12 am »

the boat is an aerokits mtb and the motor is a taycol supermarine, they sail very well , but the motors can be a pain to reverse as it is field wound and hard to suppress

Fredy

Spyderman_uk

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 02:24:57 pm »

Wow Fredy you certainly know your kits! 8)
Is that kit still available and do you know where I might get plans for it?
Someone else on Scale Models forum mentioned about the motor being hard to suppress. It does look quite ancient and heavy so will be no loss to throw out. O0 I don't know what battery was used, but it was wired through an old Bakelite light switch! {-)

Thanks for the info so far!
Terry

Proteus

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 02:41:17 pm »

unfortunately they have not been made for some time , But they are seen on ebay from time to time, in fact one sold last week a new unstated kit, you may get someone come back on hear with a plan

fredy

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 04:11:34 pm »

Don't Jotika now have the production and marketing rights to the Areokits range? They've already re-issued the Sea Queen.
Maybe worthwhile contacting them.

Spyderman_uk

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 05:27:27 pm »

Thanks, I have just emailed Jotika and will wait to see what happens!  O0

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 02:58:19 pm »

I do not know what scale we are talking about here but I can supply at 1/24 Elco's and Higgins kits and also various parts , guns etc if thats of any use.    johnrhaynes.shipmodels@virgin.net

Spyderman_uk

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 07:11:37 pm »

I do not know what scale we are talking about here but I can supply at 1/24 Elco's and Higgins kits and also various parts , guns etc if thats of any use.    johnrhaynes.shipmodels@virgin.net

Cheers John, I may require your services if there is anything I can't make, or more likely can't be bothered to make! ;)

ps. It is around 1/24 I believe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.