Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best wood for planking a louise heloise hull  (Read 2989 times)

raj002

Best wood for planking a louise heloise hull
« on: April 03, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

I am planning the build of a Louise Heloise.  The write up in the back issue of MMI covers a lot of the construction, but doesnt say what type of wood was used for the planks. Can someone suggest a good source of planking?

RAJ

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Best wood for planking a louise heloise hull
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 02:29:21 am »

Hi Raj

If you go to the main forum page and enter planking in the search box you will see many threads on just this topic.

Make sure you go to the head page, otherwise it will only search the section you are in.

I too am about to build LH, but here is China I am limited to what timber I can get. I will probably use 3mm balsa which will then be covered in resin. I may re-infoce the interior with fibreglass
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 10:36:38 pm »

I am planning the build of a Louise Heloise.  The write up in the back issue of MMI covers a lot of the construction, but doesn't say what type of wood was used for the planks. Can someone suggest a good source of planking?

RAJ

I find that Cedar is the most suitable stripwood for hull planking: it's easy to sand, conforms to curvatures very well and doesn't split. If the standard of planking is good it also produces a beautiful shade when varnished  or when covered with fibre glass finishing tissue (as used on model aircraft wings)

Tip Pre-soaking each strip in Ammonia  for approx 10 - 15 minutes will make it very mallable and easy to bend to acute curves without the risk of splitting. Pin/secure each strip to   the hull and let it dry before final trimming and/or gluing to the frames. i use a length of capped plastic waste-pipe as a reservoir for my Ammonia which enables it to be used over and over again.
CAUTION Always use in a well ventilated area and wear protective goggles and rubber gloves at all times.

Sourcing: try Dennis Nixon, Twigfolly, Attleborough Norfolk - see his advert in the marine modelling mags.  He supplies superbly cut, grain matched   cedar yacht planking kits (3/8" x 1/8")for small, medium and large hulls, and at very reasonable prices inclusive of P & P. In fact I use him for all my wood - ask for his (free) catalogue, you won't be disappointed.

Good luck.
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 04:04:10 am »

Hi Popeye

Is there a website in the ads, or can you post contact details, or even post a scanned image of the ad please.

I am in China and have no access to modelling mags here.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:46:00 pm »

Hi Popeye

Is there a website in the ads, or can you post contact details, or even post a scanned image of the ad please.

I am in China and have no access to modelling mags here.

Email me direct via this site and I'll Email something by return.

To get you started, Dennis Nixon can only be contacted by phone or Fax --Tel 0044 (0)1953 457051, Fax 0044 (0)1953 451896. You'll also have to check that he'll accept overseas orders.

Regards,

popeye
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.