Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rotten wood?  (Read 2814 times)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
Rotten wood?
« on: April 05, 2008, 01:00:21 pm »

Hi all, some help please. I have read on the forum over the last year about waterproofing hulls, thinking that sanding sealer, primer, undercoats and top coats would be enough, I take it I am wrong, as the forward deck on my Dad's restored (3 years ago) Fireboat is staring to feel a bit soft, and the paint is lifting! I dread to think that the forward deck is rotten, anfd needs replacing. The boat has not been used much, and planes, so the front section is generally out of the water. It was sound when I did the refurb, but it does let some water in!

Can someone, in very basic terms., explain the concept of resin? Is it painted on, do you have to put it on with a matting of some sort, then is it filler and primer etc? Where do you get it? If the deck needs extensive repair, do I use car type bodyshop filler? The hull seems to be sound, but I intend to rub it all down to the wood for inspection anyway.

Sorry for the extensive questions, this boat has great sentimental value (circa 1960) and I dont want to lose it!

Many thanks

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
Re: rotton wood?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 01:56:49 pm »

Hi pmdevlin, there is a number of posts for that theme, try
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8909.0
and others, they will be definately out of any help.

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 02:09:27 pm »

If the wood is suffering from wet rot (as opposed to dry rot) you will need to stabilise the rotted areas. This can be done with wood hardening resin which is a very thin penetrating fluid. You would need to strip the paint off the affected part of the model and then drill a series of small holes into to the wood to allow the resin to fully permeate the material. It then goes hard and you can restore the surface finish in the usual way.

Colin

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 02:17:59 pm »

I have this stuff in mind:

http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/product.jsp?id=52

Worked a treat on my M-in-L's door frame a while back. Not cheap, but worth a try to save a much-loved model?

FLJ

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 02:20:56 pm »

That's the stuff!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 05:13:01 pm »

Thats the one Dave, you wont find better.

pmdevlin if you use the hardener first then use Ronseal high performance wood filler[   http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/product.jsp?id=51  ] the two are made to go together and the filler is similar to P38 to use and sand.

Great stuff, have used loads. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

red181

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Rotten wood?
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 10:28:44 pm »

thanks a lot guys! I feel much better now! The cost does not matter as the sentimental value is irreplaceable, it reeks of nostalgia, even after  40 years when the old ic engine was removed, it still to this day has a certain smell about it when you take a cabin roof off after a prolonged time, well I thought it was nostalgic, it was probably the wood decaying! {-)

You cant replace these old models, so I need to save it. I sat prodding the forward deck for 30 mins earlier, hoping it would majically go away, so its a full strip down soon (time permitting), please be prepared for MANY MANY questions. I ran it 1st time in 6 months thursday evening, at Ellesmere Port Boat Museum, by kind invitation of some of the members via this forum, it was nice seeing it on the water again, but its a bit like leprosy, got home, dryed it out, and bits fell off!

Many thanks again,

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.