Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Dockyard Tug 510 moulding - anyone any views on it?  (Read 3671 times)

ddraigmor

Model Dockyard Tug 510 moulding - anyone any views on it?
« on: April 06, 2008, 10:11:10 pm »

After slipping with a scalpel on my HFM ORSV - and making a rather large gash in the thin ABS hull, I have put it back in the box for future work when I build up more experience. Being model less, I have been looking around to see what is out there that a complete idiot like me can detail and play about with.

Lo and behold. Model Slipway do a moulding that has raised doors and wheelhouse windows to cut out and a bare hull ready for modernising / scratch building on a freelance design. It is also only £20. Has anyone seen or built one of these? I know they have a good reputation.

Link here:

http://www.modelslipway.com/Tug510/index.htm

Any ideas chaps? Oh and I will promise to be more careful with the scalpel next time round......  >>:-(

Jonty

Stavros

Re: Model Dockyard Tug 510 moulding - anyone any views on it?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 10:38:49 pm »

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7700.0

Dont know how the lads are getting on pm them!!!!

Stavros

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 10:30:40 am »

Wombat built one - looks great. Be warned though that this is another ABS hull which will need trimming. Rather than a scalpel you could try scissors.

Barrie

ddraigmor

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 04:40:43 pm »

Ta for the info. She looks pretty basic so that inspires me! Especially the fact that the wheelhouse windows can be either cut or painted over - as the dusty model shows!

Want it more to teach myself the electrickery bit, although detailing it should also be a good exercise. Whatever, at £20 I can't go wrong and have just ordered one from the dealer.

Looks like a good wee project for a beginner to mess with - so can't really fail! Wil take the advice offered and buy a good pair of scissors to go with the scalpel - and if I stop drinking, the hand should be steady enough!  ::)

Cheers for the advice - will let you know how I get on!

Jonty

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 09:50:58 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dreadstar

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 10:30:23 am »

Nice job Martin,a very smart little tug that. I might get one of these for myself at some time,even though I'm not a tug person. ok2

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 12:07:24 pm »

Hi all , Yes i have one of Lawrie's tug 510 or as i call it a tug 500 . I persuaded Lawrie to vac for me one whe the Goole boys paid them a visis a couple of years ago , whilst on tour of the workshop i spotted the dusty plug in the corner and thats when it all started  :} .
I have fitted twin geared motors in mine for torque but something went wrong and it goes like stink on a 7.2 racing pack
this is the original built by Lawrie.

and this is a vid of mine.

I will post some more pics soon.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.