Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Panart/Mantua Anteo Steam Tug Build  (Read 143845 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Panart/Mantua Anteo Steam Tug Build
« on: December 26, 2017, 01:51:33 pm »

Hi All

Well after a bit of a break its time to start my second build log  :-))   This time its going to be a steam powered tug and I should say up front that this is my first foray into steam and also my first attempt at a double planked build.  If you did see my last build you will know that I'm a pretty slow builder due to time constraints at home but I will do my best to keep it up to date.  So..........whats in the box?

The kit seems very well thought out and comes with a very impressive set of accessories.  At first glance there are lots of well made brass parts and what looks like a very good anchor winch which I believe with a bit of fettling could be made to work with a small motor.  There is also all of the rigging, a 55mm cast brass propeller and a substantial towing hook too.

The laser cut parts seem cleanly cut and the plywood looks like its good quality.  The planking is limewood and there is 135 strips that are 1.5x7x930mm in size. It does have a prop shaft included and 4 large 1:1 scale drawings to help with the build.  The rest of the instructions are 4 A4 pages of poorly translated from Italian written instructions so I'll see how I get on with those.

The Steam plant is suppled by Pendle Steam Boilers and is a 3.5" boiler with a matched separator and 3" gas tank

The Engine is a TVR1ABB which is a little beauty to build

Which will also drive a boiler feed pump which was made for me by my mate Oohyah/F  (George) from this forum  ok2

The plan from the off is to build the hull around the steam plant and its going to be a very very tight fit with many issues to overcome. The plant will be fully enclosed and hopefully I will solve them all with a lot of help.

Wish me luck - Mark  :-)

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Panart/Mantua Anteo Steam Tug Build
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 01:59:57 pm »

Good luck!  :-))

Nice to see another steam build, and another of George's fine little pumps being brought into service. I will follow with interest.  O0

Greg

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 04:07:55 pm »

seasons greetings  Mark
I can not see any Brasso   or Duraglit or are you Solvol Autosol man in the new kit. good luck and enjoy .
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 04:08:32 pm »

Hi Mark,
It looks like it will be an interesting build. Just make sure that at all stages of the build you can still remove the steam plant for service it, preferably on a single mount. One model I built you had to remove all the components individually which made it very difficult.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 04:20:38 pm »

Very nice bits for your tug! The TVR is not a very powerful engine, and is not really made for higher pressures (above 30 psi).  Just wondering if it has enough power to run both the pump and prop shaft. Have you tested the water pump on shaft against boiler pressure?  maybe needs reduction gearing?

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 05:15:02 pm »

Hi Greg - Cheers mate

Hi David - Seasons greetings mate and lovely to hear from you.  I must be honest nothing it going to be polished on this one its all going to be a matt finish  :-)  (Even if the pump looks a bit shiney in the picture  %% )

Hi Gerald - Its already on a one piece mount but I have just not posted that far ahead yet.  I'm a very slow builder so I've been working on it for a while before I started this log otherwise it would have been far too boring and slow to follow.  Your piece of advise though has seen me make some good decisions with this build which have in turn caused some real problems that had to be overcome.  Especially trying to get everything under decks but also still be accessible and serviceable.

Hi xrad - Always good to hear from you.  The engine turns the pump very easily on both air and steam with as little pressure as 10 - 15PSI.  I have found with the TVR that the correct valve timing makes such a difference to the performance of the engine and I have spent many hours experimenting with this and I'm sure that there is still room from improvement.  Also good lapping between the valve slides and the cylinders makes quite a difference too.  Having said all of that I have not had it with a propeller on as well - but if I try and stop the engine with my fingers - well the engine wins every time.  I must be honest this is my first steam engine and I have been surprised just how much power this little plant has so I can only imagine what other makes must have.  Its purpose is purely for my sailing enjoyment and not for any tug pulling competitions so I hope that its ok for the job at hand.

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 09:32:22 pm »

Bonjour Mark,
Very good choice, several of my friends have done or recreated this kit, with a TVR1A exactly.
Jean-Pierre : Original kit - 1 m (video in English ok2 ) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrKd4jzpl30
Guy : 1,20 m and same steam machine : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1B6etQ30b8 => 27 kilos !

Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 10:52:47 pm »

T beautiful tug model this one. I look forward to seeing it come together.

T33cno

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 11:18:18 pm »

O0  Fantastic Mark! I'm subscribed to this baby  :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 11:32:49 pm »

Having followed your Fairmount Alpine build, I feel sure this one will be very interesting to follow, so I'm in as well - good luck Mark.

Regards,

Ray.

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 11:40:48 pm »

Nice choice! I love the look of this Tug, my next build will either be this or the Imara, but thats' a long way off as i'm barely half way on my current build!

Will be following this, g/luck! :)

My large-scale TID Build Website: http://www.tizdaz.co.uk/forum

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/RCTidTug/

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 03:33:52 pm »

Thanks all  :-))  its going to be a very long build as there is so much to do and thanks Raphael for the links they are very nice boats.  It is a very pretty tug when completed correctly so I'll give it a good go.  Ok lets start

The keel is assembled from 3 parts as was my last build so I can only imagine that this is a standard amongst model boats.  It was held down on a flat board to keep it straight and was placed on cling film to stop the glue from bonding the whole thing to the board.  The wood is 1/4 ply and seems to be of a very good quality. Its 890mm long.

Next was to make a keel board to keep it nice and straight during the first part of the build.

Then I simply popped the bulkheads out of the plywood and dry assembled the hull to get an idea of size.  The fit of the bulkheads was very good and required no sanding what so ever they just simply slotted together.  The horizontal decks are not part of the finished boat.  They are supplied in the kit to keep the bulkheads in the correct line whilst the planking in being done.  Once the planking is complete they are removed and disposed of.  A great idea from the manufacturer which will make things a lot easier.  Well I hope it does  %%

Now here's a couple of pictures that give an idea of just how much modification this kit will need to get a steam plant in.  The parts are obviously just balancing to get a feel for how things need to be; however all of the parts are above the bulwarks let alone below decks.  The engine output shaft is approximately 45 - 50mm higher than the boats propshaft and a pulley system will be no good on this build.  All of the plant needs to be right at the bottom of the boat or it will just wallow around the pond or capsize.

Its plain to see that nothing fits at this stage but its nothing a bit of thought won't sort out - or a big mallet  {-)

Mark

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 08:27:58 pm »

Mark, your work bench is far to neat and tidy and breaks the rules for posting pictures of your build. You know this will not last........ %%

Joking aside, this has all the ingredients for another classic build and will follow with interest.

Stewart
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

T33cno

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 10:29:17 pm »

Agreed Stewart  {-)  almost like an operating theatre  %%

Mine has just been tidied

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 11:00:04 pm »

Mark, May I suggest that you do a tracing of all the wood parts, that way if any get damaged you can make a replacement. another reason is if you want to make another model in a different size you can. I built one model that was slightly too small for the boiler and engine I had so I installed an electric motor, and built another 25% larger, Unfortunately both sold when times were tight.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 11:16:33 pm »

I f I may give some advise ,I would lay out the keel with the running gear approx where it will fit and then mark the keel and cut out that section ,mark the center line on your board then place your frames and keel inverted as it will be quite difficult to remove the keel section after planking.
I realize it is a kit model but they present a challenge to be steam powered but well worth the extra time ( my attachment is of my current build Joffre steam tug.
Cheers
John

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 09:58:09 am »

Hi Stewart and Andy you have obviously never met my wife  {-)   Honestly she will put up with all of my building including painting in the house; on the condition that I clean up afterwards.  I did used to have everything out as you do but soon discovered that everything then gets covered in dust and takes forever to clean afterwards.  So now its all in draws and only takes 5 mins with a hoover.  Happy wife = happy life  %%

Hi Gerald that is very good advice and I was going to do exactly that.  Fortunately when I opened the box the plans come with a set of 1:1 tracings of all of the wooden parts i was most impressed!

Hi John thanks very much for the photo of your build it looks great.  The plan for my boat is to fit the steam plant and all of the running gear and iron out any problems whilst its still a skeleton.  Once I've done all of that I will do exactly the same as you - well hopefully anyway.  The plans advise that the first 4 planks should be fitted to the bulwarks on both sides to keep the whole thing straight before commencing on any other planks.  The plans are quite specific about this and having looked, it would seem that they work together with the false decks.  I'm a long way off of that yet and I'm sure that I will have lots of questions before I attempt fitting planks.

Mark

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2017, 10:26:42 am »

..... something not right about a clean, organised work bench....  <:(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 10:47:23 am »

..... something not right about a clean, organised work bench....  <:(

{-) {-)  I'm am being guided / instructed / told  by a higher power  {-) {-)

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 10:51:23 am »

Poor old Mark.......be damned if you do and damned if you don't......ha ha ha.

I have a cunning plan Mark. Take a picture of your workbench all untidy and full of clutter, then get it printed on a roll of wallpaper. Roll the wallpaper out to take pictures, that will keep Mayhemers happy and your missus...... :-))
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 11:28:52 am »

Stewart thats not a bad idea - maybe gets the kids to do a photoshop for me  :embarrassed:

IanJ

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 04:38:38 pm »

Hi Mark,

Just seen your post. Really looking forward to following your build.

Cheers

Ian

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 02:23:34 pm »

Hi Mark!  Sounds like you have the TVR timing as well as possible. Agree w/you: Timing set is not forgiving on this engine. The window for correct timing is very small. 

Can't wait to see your build and her in the water!

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 03:51:20 pm »

The Hackworth timing is very unforgiving but once sorted this little engine will provide more than enough power. Look forward to more progress updates

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2017, 05:43:01 pm »

You are right lads; I ended up using a magnified lamp to see the slides closely so that I could get the timing as good as possible.  Even now the engine runs slightly faster in one direction that the other but I'm quite happy with the way its running.  I ran the engine in for about 3 hours on air and it seems to have no problems with the steam  :-))   I can see though a time and not to far away when everything has settled in and it will need re-timing but the more you do it the better you get at it!

I'll get an update on the build at the end of the week.  Unfortunately I cannot upload anymore photos into the mayhem image photo site as I've reached my limit for the week  {:-{   Its because I've been uploading the build photos of my last build since the photo bucket issue.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24   Go Up

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 21 queries.