Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell Corvette vs Deans ?  (Read 9672 times)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
Revell Corvette vs Deans ?
« on: August 23, 2011, 10:48:51 pm »

I'm looking for a winter build and need to make a decision soon, the only essentials are it has to be R/C and not too large/heavy, I'm thinking about the plastic Corvette which is available for £60 at a model shop only 10 minutes away.

I've looked at the Deans range several times and their corvette is making my decision difficult, the running gear is included and its not a plastic kit which I would have to convert for R/C, the build is already well documented on the forum for the Revell but I can't see one for the Deans.

I have never built a glass/plastic card kit before, I have built almost everything else from Frog/Airfix/Monogram/Tamiya/Italeri etc, ships-cars-aircraft-bikes at a range of scales, R/C aircraft was my last serious hobby for 15 years, I only have a small indoor electric heli at the moment, I've just finished the Airfix Hood 1/600...yet again! the kit was in the local garden centre so I just got it for something to fill the odd quiet moments, I'll find a companion to go on the diorama later...maybe a carrier or destroyer if I can find one.

I suppose I really want to do the Deans Cossack or Daring but I'm unsure about the build and the time it might take, I'd want the model to be ready for the spring.

I'm looking for an opinion which kit I should go for bearing in mind my previous experience (none with a Deans kit!!!) and my requirements, I'm in something of a dilemma!

Ta

JB.

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

doug james

Re: Revell Corvette vs Deans ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 11:56:25 pm »

Last winter I as looking for the Revell-Germany 1/72 Flower Class Corvette: HMCS Snowberry / USS Saucy as a project and was told it was not available, as Revell had stopped making the kit. I was also told at that time it would likely be back in a year or two :(( This may well have been a Canadian thing I don't know.

colin-d

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 07:04:27 am »

personally i would go for the Deans Kit, mind you I DID SAY PERSONALY..  :o

i am on my fourth and fifth model from Deans, so far i have built the;

Mastif (Tug/compact) took about 3 months to build

Liz Terkol (Tanker/Merchant) took about 2 years to build

Fuire (Tug/HarbourCraft) took about 7 month to build

HMS Inflexible (TurretShip/Warships (UK)) taken me about 3 years to build (build log on this forum)

there is a lot of work involved in building a Deans Kit, i am a normal working man, that only has time at the weekends to build, for some one with more time on there hands, the building times that i have taken will probaby be shortened.   {:-{

none of the plastic parts are pre-built, you have to cut every part of the superstructure out your self, all of the fittings are made from white metal or resin, most of the fittings you will be required to clean of the flash, if your happy about the work involved in completing a deans kit then as i have said, go for it..  8)  8)

they make into very nice models if your modeling skills are up to it..!!  :-))  :-))

there is also a Deans Marine forum, that might be able to help you, and i am sure the Deans workshops would help the best they can..

tony52

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 07:17:26 am »

Colin Bishop did an very detailed review and build item on a Deans compact kit in the Model Boats Construction Special recently.

colin-d

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 07:37:16 am »

yup seen and read that article.  :-))  :-))

us Colin's (being as i am a colin also) do make exceedingly good models..  :}  :D  {-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 09:02:31 am »

I have done several Deans kits.

To add to Colins comments I would say that their instructions are lousy as are the drawings.

Deans do do CD's of their builds and they are worth getting.

If you can figure it out a Deans kit makes a nice model.

One other point check where everything goes before you cut a piece as their dimension are not always right.

The Revell kit is what you expect from a construction kit.

Laser etched parts are available and I would suggest you change the handrails from plastic to brass.

I have made two of these and when they are ballasted they sail exceptionally well in all types of weather.

This is a link to what is in my Revell corvette in the way of running gear. I have changed the battery to a 6v 5amp SLA. The battery also acts as ballast.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5226.msg51370#msg51370

Hope this helps, any problems give a shout. 
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Deep Diver

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 09:07:13 am »

The Dean's kit was the first one that I made when I got back into Boats, that model served me well for a lot of years. Would love to have now but it went to the scrap yard due to so many moves, and I just don't have the time to make it again.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 09:55:50 am »

If just starting in RC boats, and well used to plastic kits, and if you can find one, it got to be the Revell.  Although discontinued at the moment, shopping around will reveal that there are still several around, but not as cheap as they were a few years ago.  It has the advantage of a relatively low price, simple basic construction and conversion, and somebody else has done the hard work.  After doing an apprenticeship on that, go for the Deans of choice, take your time, because you already have a boat to sail, and then you wind up with two masterpieces.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 06:05:04 pm »

Many thanks for all the replies, much appreciated :-))

OK, I don't let the grass grow so I was at the model shop this morning, I asked if the Revell was still available and this was the reply, Yes they have some left, 3 only and no more coming and they have sold several over the last two days...so I now have one + a Trumpeter Liberty ship at 1/350 scale just for fun, I haven't had one of these Trumpeter kits before so I though I try one, looks a nicely made kit and is something different for display, I like some variety!

I felt obliged to have the Corvette as I've had it in my head to build one for many years but didn't get around to it, I know looking at the forum builds from DickyD and others its very worthwhile ship to have especially converted to R/C and with some changes to the fittings etc.

I still want to build a Deans and have noted the comments re instructions etc...I just have to persuade the wife to let me spend the dosh, I'll work on that minor problem!

Thanks chaps:-))

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 11:12:44 pm »

A quick update on today's 'another dent in the bank account' modelling madness..!

Opened the Corvette box and taped the hull parts together, the wife is quite impressed with the size of it and its bigger than I thought, thanks to DickyD for the info on his boat, I've saved and printed some of his photo's and the info of his running gear, all very useful :-))

Lots to think about now, back much later with the Corvette...hopefully with a photo on the water.

One step nearer to a Deans kit I reckon, although I now have to build an N gauge railway layout...for the wife %%

How did that happen? she even made me buy her a Farish catalogue..£5.95 it cost!!!

Pics below of my new model shop just discovered today...its only 3 miles away O0 although the Deans will have to come by post for Xmas.

Cheers

JB.   

steve pickstock

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 08:25:17 am »

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHH! that's a REAL model shop!

Where is it?

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 12:39:01 pm »

http://www.transportmodels.co.uk/

They have a vast range of plastic kits, model railways in scales from N to O and all the tools and materials you could want, the photo's only show one room, there is another with trains and die-cast models etc, the 'foyer' contains several glass cases with displays of models to make your eyes water! there are a lot of modelling paints which will be useful for me.

Its only a few miles from where I live %%

Beware the sewer works on the dock roads, Strand Rd/Riversway, if you intend to make a visit, my route takes me around it to get to the shop but escaping from Preston can be a problem...even for me and I'm a local!

They don't have any R/C equipment as far as I could see...I'll have to suggest it! only been in the shop once so far, I'll be going again soon so I'll try and take a few more photo's if I can.

There is free parking outside the door and its offroad too, it can get very busy in the shop so I pick my time to make it easy.

JB.

steve pickstock

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 02:01:51 pm »

Thanks for that, looks pretty good and not to far from the Mighty Mersey.

As modellers we should be promoting and supporting our retailers before the Model shop as a place to go and talk (and buy) models disappears all together.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 04:42:17 pm »

Thanks for that, looks pretty good and not to far from the Mighty Mersey.

As modellers we should be promoting and supporting our retailers before the Model shop as a place to go and talk (and buy) models disappears all together.

A pleasure, most of the model shops around my area now closed, I have been flying R/C planes for years but not now, Transport Models have all I need for plastic kits + the tools etc, I've just had a quick visit for a few Humbrol paint tinlets so had another look around, the range of modelling bits and pieces is excellent, strip and sheet metal, fillers glues masking tapes it all seems to be there, magazines - books on aircraft - ships, I saw a book on the Corvette, not cheap but I'll be having that one, think I've spent a few thousand...in my head anyway!!!

Coming from the Liverpool area I would use the A59 through Ormskirk/Burscough/Southport and this would take you to 'Penwortham', its easy to reach the shop this way, M/ways are an option but I wouldn't!,  google map says about 25 miles, for the A59.

I must point out I have no connection with Transport Models Preston, I'm just a new customer.

:-)

JB.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 05:51:53 pm »

Have a look at:

http://www.djparkins.com/acatalog/Great_Little_Ships.html

But watch out - you'll spend more than the kit cost you!
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 09:11:01 pm »

Have a look at:

http://www.djparkins.com/acatalog/Great_Little_Ships.html

But watch out - you'll spend more than the kit cost you!

Oh heck!  website bookmarked, a quick calculation and the whole lot comes to around £250  %%

But will it still float?

8)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 09:14:33 am »

Made at start on the Revell, not done much yet, I'm looking at the position of the motor and prop shaft now, photo shows where I am at the moment, nothing fixed except the prop tube which is a 6", the only coupling I have is the one shown, looking at DickyD's corvette his motor is slightly behind where mine is...I want to move mine back about an 1" I think my coupling needs changing to one similar or the same as Richards's...? should I go for that one? a Deans Nychrome I think...

JB.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 10:09:06 am »

Oil the shaft and slowly run up the motor (not full speed out of water) and check for vibrations.
 If fairly smooth, job done!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 03:19:59 pm »

Thank you Sir!

It looks like this will work, motor in a better position now, I was unsure if this type of coupling would take much misalignment but it looks like I'll be OK using it, I did attempt a simple GG design 'Paladin' about six years ago, coupling was just a piece of fuel tubing which worked well but the model was only 3lb's in weight.

A quick pic of the test rig...I'll do a nice tidy installation now I know it runs without breaking anything.

Long while since I did any R/C modelling.

Photo below of the Paladin under way, this was just a trial to see if I could make it work before attempting the Corvette...took a while to get around to it :D

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 08:46:33 pm »

Thought I should post another pic of the motor etc...tidier now...it still works too!

I'll decide where the RX will live later on.

Wondering if I want a 1 or 2 piece SS...not sure about that yet, paint the hull next I think...that might take a while...

JB.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 03:18:04 pm »

Apologies for posting after myself again..! but I need some advice...

Made some more progress and I'm about to send for the motor battery, R/C will have a separate one of course, 6v 5amp SLA ? I'm also wondering if I should change the 385 for a Kyte...but which one? there are several on the Deans website, as this is my first real attempt at a R/C ship I'd like to get it right and not have to change things later, thinking I'll try to move the motor back a little more too or will it be OK where it is? {:-{

Here's a pic, used an airbrush and I'm fairly happy so far, some seeping of the black but hardly noticeable from 6 feet away! I'll weather it anyway...

Cheers

JB.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 06:16:02 pm »

The motor should be just fine where it is.  There is plenty of room to move the battery around for best effect.
Pretty much any motor of that size and with enough poles that is not a "racing" motor will do a good job.  Not really much need for a separate radio battery.  Not much use trying to choose the direction its going to go in with no power to go there.  When top speed reduces, its time to come in, and you still have power and steering.  If it needs another battery for extras, fair enough, but I feel that radio power is best derived from the main power.  Having the radio battery go to sleep while there is still plenty of main battery is not really a good option for me.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 07:08:51 pm »

Thanks Mr F, I'll follow your advice...except my ESC is an Action P79, no BEC and can't use a 6v SLA, I was going to use the new Mtronics micro 5amp but couldn't find one at the time so bought the P79 at Norbreck, I understand your view to use 1 battery for power and control though...committed myself now!

Your advice appreciated, I'll sort the ballasting out this week and then I can think about any extras I would like...a smoke generator is top of the list if its possible to fit one to the Revell, think I've seen it done.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 11:07:04 am »

I'm not sure that a cool steam generator/mister type would fit, and I would be very pleased to be corrected.  When I made an evaporating oil type for mine I found that it needed an extra concentric tube outside the brass "chimney" to reduce condensation and redirect any back into the tank.  A fan might have helped, as well.  Mind, when I trialled it, there was surface ice in places on Fairhaven, so it was **o*y cold inside that funnel. 
Fitting a BEC should be no real problem, probably easier than fitting an RX battery, they are one of the simplest and cheapest circuits to make, and one of ACTions costs very little more than the parts to buy.  Possibly less if he chucks in a case and the leads and/or terminals.
When sorting the ballast, it needs the superstructure in place.  There is a lot of plastic there, and it needs due allowance making.
My first one was done with a two-part superstructure, the forward half including the associated deck.  I had to re-arrange the funnel stays to keep life simple and have an easy de-mounting arrangement for the "aerial" rigging.  A member of my club is doing one - has gone the one piece way.  The two parts do need a substantial bridging piece to keep them fairly rigid when they being handled, but another time I think I would go that way.
I found a home for my electronic bits by using some of the spare sprues to form edge supports around the after deck hole.  These support a false floor made from two styrene sheet panels.  These are not fixed, they just sit there and support the RX and ESC, with plenty of room for a BEC and a switcher should they be wanted.  When it was running an AM set, there was room for the scrunched up aerial, now its on 2.4, there is just plenty of room.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 12:09:25 pm »

Hi jb why cant you fit the 6v SLA, I have one in mine, in fact one in both of them and neither needed much lead ballast. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.