Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from New Member  (Read 1696 times)

miarkaf

• Shipmate
Hello from New Member
« on: June 15, 2011, 05:33:10 pm »

Hi there. My name is Alan and I live in Bath.
 I am very keen to start a new hobby in R/C boats, really scale warship type ships. My ultimate aim is to build a replica of the ship my late father served on during the second Word War, Colony Class Cruiser HMS Mauritus.
I realise this is way beyond my ability at the moment but we all need to aim high.....
I intend visiting the Local Boat Clubs in my area, but where would you experienced builders recommend I start?....Should I buy a second hand boat to learn the skills of R/C control or should I jump in and buy a kit? If so what kit would you recommend?.
I have a lot of experience in scratchbuilding model cars and layouts, so I am not unfamiliar with the arts of soldering/glue etc.....

Regards

Alan

PS I was considering one of the simpler Dean's Marine kits but reading some of the threads on here has put me off the idea somewhat.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Hello from New Member
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:27:23 pm »

Hi Alan,

And Welcome aboard Mayhem!

Don't be too put off by the Deans Marine 'nay sayers' but maybe as a 2nd kit if you have no experience of model boat building.

If you don't already have a boat, buy a 2nd hand one just to get you on the water quickly.
 Ask about any model you find on here and we'll advise you of suitability, price, etc.

.... facilities to the left and tiffin served at sundown!

Martin  ok2

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Roadrunner

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 07:11:49 pm »

Being one of the ''nay sayers'' as Martin so elegantly puts  %%

There is nothing wrong with a Deans kit if you have the time, patience of a saint and the ability's to fix the problems that will arise ( i say will not if for a reason!)

If your unsure about your ability's give it a miss until you have the confidence to go at it, there not for the faint hearted or an inexperience modeller ( if you have read my build log i'm sure you will see what i'm on about)

They do make very nice models once finished but it really is a matter of your ability's rather then the kit. As Martin says it may be a 2nd project, or one you spend years doing rather then 'knock it out' (which you just can't do unless you can work 8 hours a day 7 days a week on it!)

If you go down the deans route for a first large project (even their simple kits)  there is always help at hand on the forum to guide you through.  :-))

nhp651

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 09:38:20 pm »

I intend visiting the Local Boat Clubs in my area, Should I buy a second hand boat to learn the skills of R/C control

if you'd have been down lakeside, Fleetwood today alan, the last thing you'd have wanted was to "learn from experienced sailers"

it was like a Carry On farce........more crashes that a BTCC car race meeting,lol..

i was in tears laughing. {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 03:38:37 pm »

Its a personal thing Alan, because we all have varying skill. I brought a Boat needing the mechs and rc gear.
Rebuilding the propshaft,(ballrace and oilseal type). Fitting the esc r/c gear was a good start and was enough
for me.Welcome to Mayhem and good luck. John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.