Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A VERY OLD STUART SUN TWIN CYLINDER STEAM ENGINE.  (Read 16763 times)

ooyah/2

A VERY OLD STUART SUN TWIN CYLINDER STEAM ENGINE.
« on: July 22, 2011, 03:26:58 pm »

I have just acquired this very old Stuart Turner Sun engine and as it's a bit before my time does any body have a picture in an old catalogue or some pics of this engine to allow me to refurb it and date it plus any data on the valve timing.

It's a slide valve operated by the lever from the squish plate, the lever is broken so a pic would help me to make a new one.
I am not sure whether the base plate which is curved to suit a hull bottom is original or one made to fit some body's hull.
The Sun & Star engines that I am familiar with, the base is flat with 4- mounting holes.
Any information would be appreciated.
George.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A VERY OLD STUART SUN TWIN CYLINDER STEAM ENGINE.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 10:33:29 am »

Some time ago when I posted a question about a similar engine (but not Stuart) Malcolm Beak replied with a photo of a Stuart which from memory he called a Model B I think which was the predeccesor of the Sun and Sirius. Hopefully Malcolm will spot you post or you could P M him. I will try and find the old post. Cheers, Ian.

ooyah/2

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 12:20:01 pm »

Hi Ian,
Many thank's for your reply, it would be helpful if you could give me the link to your posting, also as I don't know Malcolm Beak could you give me a link to him.
Thank's
George.

knoby

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 01:23:01 pm »

i think this is the thread Ian was referring to
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=30101.0
A lovely looking engine George, but not identical to the 1 Malcolm posted

Glenn

ooyah/2

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 09:29:23 pm »

Hi Glen,

I remember the link now.
This engine looks as though there are bits of Stuart in it and somebodys own ideas.
The rocking lever that operates the slide valve is too long to fit below the valve rod and I would think it should have a yoke on the end to fit over the valve rod.
The bottom end of the rocking lever at the swashplate has a recess in it to hold a ball bearing which is held against the plate as the plate has a score in it from the ball.
It's reasonably made but nothing spectacular so it will need a bit of work done to it but I like a challenge.

Thank's for the input and would still appreciate any further info.
George.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 10:35:51 am »

After much scrolling through old posts I have found the one I was thinking of in which Malcolm posted a picture of a Stuart MTB1 which again is similar but not the same as yours. The topic was http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18582.msg196432#msg196432. In another post in the same topic Bogs gave a link to assorted vintage Stuarts which was
http://www.stationroadsteam.com/stuart%20turner.htm Hope some of this helps. Cheers, Ian

ooyah/2

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 09:59:03 pm »

Thank's Ian.

Used the links but can't find the engine it's not listed any where but will keep looking.

George.

malcolmbeak

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 09:21:43 am »

I had noticed this post, but am not too sure what to say. Like George I think that this is a combination of some Stuart castings and a few different ideas. The valve operation by a face cam, lever and the valve return using a spring doesn't seem very "Stuart like" to me. In fact judging by the size of the spring I would have thought that the engine speed would be somewhat restricted. After all, this type of engine is supposed to be "high speed". Say 3000 plus.
Not very helpful I'm afraid, but another interesting engine for your collection.
Malcolm

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 09:53:47 am »

George, the links in my previous post seem to work fine for me and the second one takes me direct to a list of Stuart engines and the years they were made. If you click on the "1B" it takes you to the page http://www.stationroadsteam.com/Stuart/1B.htm which shows something similar to yours but not exactly the same. There is also info on the Star, Sun and Sirius. An interesting aside is that some were available with slide valve for wet steam or piston valve for flash steam. Consensus seems to be that you have a hybrid with some home made parts. Hope this helps, cheers, Ian.

ooyah/2

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 12:44:37 pm »

Malcolm & Ian.
I think that we are all on the same wave length, it looks as if it's cobbled together with bits ad pieces. The link that you gave me Ian shows a similar engine
with a few castings that are common.
The cylinder head is common,
Th cylinder and main base is the common
The base plate is similar, rounded to match a boats bilge with mounting lugs extended to bolt down on bearers.
Bore  3/4" x 3/4 Stroke.

The swatch plate drive was quite common on early Flash steam engines but the spring return is very poor design and not Stuarts.

I will be refurbishing it in due time , what do you think about making it to clean and losing the old patina, or get it running and leave it as found.

Many thank's for your input and help.

I will post it when I get it running which may be some time as we are at last enjoying some nice warm weather and the bicycle calls to be over the hills and far away.
Cycling is one of my past times been cycling for the past 65 years, quite a bit of success in my early racing years  ( A what fond memories. )
George.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 11:26:37 am »

George, one more interest we have in common, I once travelled half way around the world to meet a man who restored Ordinaries (wot most people call Penny Farthings) and to go to the Transport Museum. Dont go touring on bikes but I do still compete in time trials during our summer. Cheers, Ian.

logoman

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 04:36:58 pm »

I will be refurbishing it in due time , what do you think about making it to clean and losing the old patina, or get it running and leave it as found.

I'd clean it and get it running.

ooyah/2

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 11:33:16 am »

After having a look and a clean up I have managed to get this engine running, it will run down to 20 psi on air and then it starts to stall.
But above that it runs very well up to 150 psi.
I am not too impressed with the valve operating lever as it has a 1/8" steel ball on the swash plate which is grinding a groove and if not redesigned will cut it quite deep.
I will need to take of the swash plate and if it's Mild Steel I will be able to case harden it and make a gun metal pad to prevent too much wear.
Don't know how the lever was supposed to operate the valve as it was too long to fit below the valve rod so I cut it down and milled a groove to fit below the rod, it works quite well but I would like to make a yoke to fit over the rod.
Here is some pics of the mods, will now strip it down for re-furb. thank's for the help in trying to identify.
George.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 12:50:52 pm »

Ball race on the bottom of the link George??

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

ooyah/2

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 02:05:31 pm »

Hi Ian,
Not a ball race , just a 1/8" dia ball and it's cutting a groove in the case hardened swash plate so I am going to try a Bronze ball.
George.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 02:46:22 pm »

Sorry George, I meant replace it with a ball race on edge, Rolling contact rather than a rubbing one.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

ooyah/2

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 04:22:55 pm »

Ian,
That won't work as the outer race of a ball race would foul cape and corner as the swatch plate would need to be flat and then the valve wouldn't work.
Ideally this should have a bevel gear on the bottom with a Scotch crank at the top to operate the valve.
I have ordered some bronze balls so will see how that works, maybe it will wear the bronze ball too quick, but I suppose if a collector owned it ,it would only be run on occasions.
George.

ooyah/2

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 09:24:16 pm »

The engine has now been completely refurbished.
New bearings , new slide valve operating rod, new brass steam chest cover and a stronger spring on the slide valve rod.
The swash plate had a St/St ball running on it which was causing a grove to be worn on the plate, this has now been replaced with a bronze ball and works very satisfactory.
I have replace the old cylinder lagging brass sheet with Aluminium, I am not a fan of brass as cylinder covers as I have never seen a full size engine with brass., it's usually blued steel or aluminium.
It runs very well and at 100 psi it fairly sings, I would say about 5,000 r.p.m. and vibration free even up to 150 p.s.i. in a short bursts.
I still havn't been able to identify the engine but still of the opinion that it could be a prototype made by Stuart but never put into production and could be the fore runner to the B1 and the other derivatives.
What makes me think that it's a Stuart experiment is the engine sump as it's very well cast but never seen again on any of the old High speed engines.
Thank's guys for the help in trying to identify the engine and I suppose it's dated around the 1920's just a wooden   plinth to be made for it and a displacement lubricator and then it would adorn any collectors shelf.
George.

The engine in the original condition.

Refurbished engine

kno3

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 09:52:02 pm »

Very nice restoration work. Is the bronze ball supposed to wear and be replaced after some time?

KBIO

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 10:11:09 pm »

Good evening!
Very well done Ooyah!  :-))
Looks like brand new and unique!  O0
Regards!

ooyah/2

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 10:24:38 pm »

Hi kno3,
I don't think it will be problem as the bronze balls are very hard and I don't think a collector or anybody else would have a boiler big enough to get the full potential from the engine and it's very easy to replace the ball if required.
I think that this engine will end up on a collectors shelf

Hi KB10.
 Thank's for your kind remarks, it will look better once mounted on a plinth, I will post pictures when finished.

George.

Patternmaker

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 08:47:43 am »

Very nice restoration George.

Regards Mick

ooyah/2

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 09:46:48 am »

Thank's Mick,
Must say that I am very pleased with the result considering the condition of it when I first got it.
It's a very robust little engine and I am sure that it would take high pressure steam but at present I don't have any high pressure boilers or coils to test it.
The more I look at it the more convinced I am that it's the early fore runner of the B1 and Sun engine.
With the info given by the Members it's dated about 1920.
A shop fitter friend has made me a plinth from American Black Walnut so I am looking forward to having it finished and mounted on it's plinth.
George.

Patternmaker

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2011, 12:24:20 pm »

That will look great in American Black Walnut George, thats what I used for the floors in Wide A Wake

Mick

KBIO

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2011, 06:56:06 pm »

:-) Good evening!
It will look even better, smokong  in a fine and long launch ,drawing lines on the water! %) ok2
Cheers! :-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.