Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Cornwall  (Read 1788 times)

Mickeyfinns

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Hello from Cornwall
« on: April 16, 2013, 07:59:06 pm »

Hello from sunny Cornwall. I came across this forum when I was looking for info on the Deans Marine's Mohawk which I have recently brought.
I'm very much interested  in WW1 destroyers or Torpedo Boat Destroyers (TBD's) as they were Known. My other interest is steam boats which I look at with envy. I will own one one day, model steam boat I mean.
Have to admit I have found this forum to be very informative, intriguing and fun. Will be looking in most days from now on.

SPERO MELIOR
(I hope for better things)

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hello from Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 08:05:54 pm »

welcome from the other end of the country---enjoy all that you find here we are all modeller trying to improve our knowledge with other modellers ideas

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 08:17:07 pm »

Hello and welcome to Mayhem where you might find we live up to our name.   :-))

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 08:25:04 pm »

Hi Mickeyfinns

Welcome to the forum and I hope you find all the help you require.
With regards to TBDs there are several books available, some relatively cheap and others in the £30-40 range.
The best one for all things TBDs would be 'British Destroyers From the Earliest Days to World War Two' by Norman Friedman. It details all the vessels used from the 1880s to 1935 essentially the 30, 35, 40knotters to the A to I classes that served with the Royal Navy.

The cheaper book is called 'Early Destroyers' by Lyons, a very good book with a proper General Arrangements plan of HMS Mohawk by John Roberts.

A member of the forum Bob K has built an A class TBD called HMS Amazon, a rather brilliant model built from a Deans Marine kit.

Hope this helps

Nick B
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 08:38:40 pm »

Hi Mickyfinns
Welcome!
'Early Destroyers' by Lyons is available in Redruth library, if your not close you can always order it  :-))

Mickeyfinns

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 09:15:50 pm »

Thanks for the heads up about, 'Early Destroyers' by Lyons, I brought a copy years ago but mine has plans for the TBD Volex.  Interesting because when I spoke to someone at Deans Marine's, he said they may be bringing out a kit of the Volex. Going to have to look out for 'British Destroyers From the Earliest Days to World War Two' by Norman Friedman.
It was Bob K's building HMS Amazon that brought me to this forum. Amazon and Mohawk are nearly the same with just a few differences. Infact the instructions in my kit are Amazon's as well. A little confusing but I will work them out, I hope. Thanks for the welcome and for the help, I know I'm going to need it. 8) 8) 8)
SPERO MELIOR
(I hope for better things)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 09:28:44 pm »

You are quite correct the plans are of Velox not Mohawk.  %)
There are a few of us on the forum currently building Victorian era and WW1 destroyers or cruisers, keep an eye out for them, Bob K is currently building an armoured ram called HMS Polyphemus, another excellent model in progress.
Good luck with your build. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 10:51:22 pm »

A welcome to you from me also.I sometimes think we should rechristen this "madhouse" and not "mayhem",but  you should enjoy your experiences on here anyway.As you will see there are a few fellow Cornishmen on here,so If you want to PM me and give me some more info please do so.
Cheers,
Mick F
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.