Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What tap and die  (Read 1999 times)

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
What tap and die
« on: June 30, 2023, 07:37:52 am »

Hi, all
Looking for some guidance on what to look for size wise and where to purchase the right tools, I'm not after a complete set just individual to carry out a one off.
I want to put a thread on one end of a 3.3mm brass rod and then create a cap that can be threaded with the same thread that can screw on the end and be removed occasionally, yes it's small stuff but I'm sure you guys would know how I should tackle this..

Thanks
Trucker

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What tap and die
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 08:33:04 am »

I would run a 3mm die nut down it and buy a 3mm dome nut, or acorn nut, to go on the end.  Die nuts and acorn nuts all available on Ebay, or give these guys a ring:

https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/GENERAL_WORKSHOP_TOOLS_.html

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 05:55:34 pm »

If tapping a turned end, you can get three tap sets for each diameter. One is tapered to start and develop the thread, the next finishes it and often a third is available with a flat end to complete blind ended threads like you would be after.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 06:11:37 pm »

Usually you tap a hole but you thread a rod or turned external diameter.  Taps can usually be bought in sets of three but dies are usually only a single die for a given thread with a tapered lead on one side, you then turn the die over and there is a bottoming face on the other side.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 07:09:44 pm »

thanks for the replies fellas, all info taken onboard, but, how do i ensure i get the right size die for the rod i have,

Trucker

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2023, 07:32:28 pm »

If you look at this table you can see that an M3 thread has an external major diameter of 2.98mm:

http://www.apollointernational.in/iso-metric-thread-chart.php

I would expect an M3 die should go down OK.  If it is too tight reduce the diameter slightly with some fine wet and dry but I don't think it would be a problem.  That's the closest metric thread to your 3.3mm so its either go with that or try to find an imperial thread that would be closer to your 3.3mm.  I would stick with M3 for convenience and ease of obtaining a die or die nut.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2023, 08:20:04 pm »

1/8 inch diameter is 3.18 mm a bit closer so might be an alternative.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2023, 08:42:08 pm »

5 BA has a diameter of 3.2mm

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2023, 11:47:23 pm »

It might be an idea to see what you can find in the way of acorn nuts first.  Using them will make the job a lot easier.  That might then dictate your preferred thread to go for.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2023, 07:32:29 pm »

update on my threading issue for the rudders, well, ive moved away from the idea of having to use a tap and die, instead ive drilled two holes straight through the rudder and the brass shaft inside using a 1mm bit then ive inserted a pin which can be removed if required and slide the shaft up into the boat thus then the rudder will be free and i can also get to the props if needed,

Trucker
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.