Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shed heaters  (Read 1472 times)

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
shed heaters
« on: December 03, 2023, 09:09:52 am »

Hi,
Im considering some kind of portable heater for my shed, so wondering if and what you guys have, im thinking of going the gas bottle way, i have a double skinned shed but absolutely no insulation, this is only a consideration so i can continue the boat builds and get some pain spraying done.
could this be a goer or a waste of hard earned cash..

Trucker

Sonar

• Full Mayhemer
Re: shed heaters
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 09:12:57 am »

I use one of these. Just needs to exhaust out side .
Also you can turn it on and start it away via a remote. So you don’t have to go in it  till it’s warm.
Mine runs off of a 12 volt transformer. From the mains ..
No diesel smells  in the shed

Gas it way too expensive. Compared  to diesel

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374058959884?hash=item5717a6c40c:g:iakAAOSw0G1lO4jI&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4MBUTFzAwU454eUyEd2NZWNRbKG0iPfr%2BPZ%2Bw9VJHxJDk3NAGUY2aXeRpK9PSeljU9jsI5a8sGTnPvngWunzG%2BzDuCamomWjOWT2zQpBH1KMmXfg2w3nb8VULVv0XaMMX71dSGltPwqKTDcVh9dwiGeAZcuo3pyOItQkvqc1VgKKVOKnlQD%2Bza9NF%2BG3F6ixjvweojgBAqPquezkEMFJrf4Od4adFMl9KMSsoIiU3SMNWYyVzfpMVLvmlSD6hiumv54hRMMATAECZCNY%2BtmV%2FvdMOWAzOZhjR2VJ%2FT3fdxTw%7Ctkp%3ABFBM6KeN74Vj

Rich griff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 09:58:25 am »

Hi sonar,

Is that the exact one you have please, same company ?

Any issues with the machine or company ?

Bottled gas is expensive and will dump condensation ( water vapour ) as well as killer gases into the shed !

Any insulation is better than none but it's better to get the none flammable type. Mind you it's a wooden shed ?

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 10:26:36 am »

thanks for the early response, insulation is a worry for me, dont really want to heat the night sky too much, im also considering a fire extinquisher but guessing that might be a bit futile in the event, obviously a lot to consider, roll on the spring..

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 08:55:58 pm »

I use an oil filled radiator on a timer set for the coldest times of night to keep the cold at bay. I've a wooden shed that I insulated and lined myself and this seems to work most of the time, and I put the heater on manual for an hour before going in to work. This seems to keep damp to a minimum, but I still need to wear a coat sometimes. Not a lot gets done in the shed during winter.

Ralph

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 09:43:09 pm »

My workshop is a 12' by 10' wooden shed, lined but not insulated and my workbench runs the full length of one side.  I have a small electric fan heater with three settings - cold, low and high heat.  It lives at one end of the bench and blows in the general direction of my upper body and hands.  Even in the coldest weather I find that after a few minutes on high, I'm able to turn it down to the low setting and I'm quite comfortable wearing a jumper.  I do like to stand when I'm building so I have a carpet runner the length of the bench to keep my feet away from any chill coming off the floor.  The cold setting is handy in summer when it can get a bit too tropical in the shed.

Ralph

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 12:33:38 am »

Hi I have a 12 x 8 foot wooden shed with internal cladding and insulating solid close foam inside.  In this weather my 500 Watt oil filled radiator cannot keep up.  Today I went to find the convector heater in my garage and brought the heater into use in the shed.  It took 90 minutes before it was OK to work in, but after a couple of hours I was still too cold to think and gave up.
Outside temp was 5 degrees 41 F these old bones need a warmer workshop.  Here in the SE Friday the outside temp should be 10 C, 50 F and will try again.
Perhaps our friend in Perthshire might find 10 C nearer to summer temperatures?  :}
Regards
Roy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 05:38:13 am »

hehe...get deported  <*<  to OZ  Roy....you know you'd love  :kiss:  the warm winters & boiling summers 

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Rich griff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2023, 01:17:26 pm »

You lucky "xxxxx" dereck 😁

Rich griff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2023, 01:19:15 pm »

Yes, a really lucky xzzzxz!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2023, 01:43:48 pm »

you know you'd love  :kiss:  the warm winters & boiling summers 

And the Crocodiles, venomous spiders, honeybees, snakes, box jellyfish, great white sharks, yellow crazy ants, cane toads, jolly swagmen...... :o :o :o :o :o

I'll stay at home thanks, I think I can survive a face off with next door's cat.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2023, 06:06:25 pm »

All true Colin but you have to visit a zoo to see them!
Roy

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2023, 06:52:51 pm »

I can cope with the cold, it's the heat that always gets me, once the mercury pushes into the thirties I'm guaranteed to break out in prickly heat.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2023, 08:27:04 pm »

All true Colin but you have to visit a zoo to see them!

Even the Jolly Swagmen?

The whole of Sussex seems to be a Billabong at the moment.

Colin

Ralph

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2023, 09:09:18 pm »

Perhaps our friend in Perthshire might find 10 C nearer to summer temperatures?  :}

10C is tropical, shorts and tee shirt weather %% .  Actually no - shorts don't come out until we're into the 20s and the neighbours have been warned.  The other night it was -3C when I went out to the shed, did a Bambi impersonation on the ice on the path, put the fan on and after about 10 minutes I was fine.  I've found that if the fan is on the floor I just don't heat up but having it on the bench works well for me.

Ralph

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2023, 09:24:35 pm »

its great to have a good response regarding the heater issue, but, do any of you get any paint spraying done , which is my goal so i can complete the model for a spring launch.

Trucker

Ralph

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2023, 09:59:06 pm »

I have a semi enclosed area for spray painting (to try and contain any over-spray) so what I do is aim the fan heater in that direction to warm up whatever I'm painting and the paint tins and then leave it on for a while after I've finished spraying (no idea how warm they actually are, just what seems right).  This has worked ok with Halfords rattle cans but I don't think I've air brushed when it's been really cold (I don't keep water based acrylics in the shed in winter in case they freeze)

Ralph

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2023, 11:52:23 am »

its great to have a good response regarding the heater issue, but, do any of you get any paint spraying done , which is my goal so i can complete the model for a spring launch.

Trucker
I assume you are talking about rattle cans rather than airbrush.  I have given up trying to spray inside my workshop, as however hard I try and screen things I seem to get overspray on things I didn't want it on, and even wearing a mask I am worried I am breathing too much paint.  Unless you have a proper spray booth with an extraction fan, I would think carefully about indoor spraying.  You can get away with a quick burst on some small fittings, but if you are doing a hull and superstructure, you might need to wait for the weather to improve.  Unless someone has a magic process that gets around these problems.....?

Greg

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2023, 03:56:33 pm »

I have a 12ft x8ft workshop (sorry metric not my thing)fully insulated, I have an infra heater which works for me , turn on, have coffee, maybe a bacon butty (don't tell my doctor 😁) and it works, low energy too.And when it gets really cold, abandon ship, WD 40 on machines, big bacon butty (still don't tell doctor) and revert to as all do at some point, kitchen / dining room table (no paint spraying though.....can cause a little friction....and odd colour furniture  :embarrassed: :embarrassed: )

Steamed up all the time
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.