Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WW2 LCS (L) (3) prop shafts shallow hull  (Read 660 times)

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
WW2 LCS (L) (3) prop shafts shallow hull
« on: April 03, 2024, 11:05:58 pm »

Hi crew today's problem that I need your input WW2 LCS L 3 problem is the  propshaft clearance I have limited depth in the hull for the  motors 50mm Dia to run prop shafts 4mm shafts turning 45mm 4 blade props my question is this.  I do how ever have depth further fwd in the hull Is it possible to run a shaft from the prop to a red uni joint to another shaft or belt drive that is connected to the motor other words double shaft to motor this would allow me to access the motors ESC etc where I have depth in the hull as the stern tapers upward giving me little room to run motors further aft or has some else have another way to do this I looked at belt drive but I need to keep the motors etc down in the hull as low as possible any and all help much appreciated tassie48

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: WW2 LCS (L) (3) prop shafts shallow hull
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 12:20:30 pm »

A belt drive allows a plethora of different ways to mount the motor(s)

Bob
Officially a GOG.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 04:01:36 pm »

Hi Gregg, You can run as many shafts as you want as long as there's a decent UJ between each. You'll have to make sure the shaft tubes are mounted properly and there's minimal flex in the hull.
How are the other "little" projects?
Tony :-))

tassie48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 11:50:20 pm »

TonyH, Shipmate60, looking at a distance of 600 mm to were I can mount the motors or short shaft and belt system further aft a problem  I have rudder servo aft the twin 40mm bofors and the mk51 gun director have a servo to turn them as well so space at a premium down aft on top of that I have the stern anchor winch which is operational as well so not much space down aft at present, my buddy plays with 1/14 scale  model  loaders so I looked at Hydraulic too very interesting very expensive haha other models I will get back too later in the year the PCS runs well now on its way to museum in the states as promised , the  big schnellboot project only now has the golf buggy electric motor and gear 48 volt system ready for testing during our winter covid stopped me for a while but ok now trust all is well over there  tassie48

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2024, 03:46:20 pm »

With a belt system or gears the motors can be mounted above the propshaft from aft.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

tassie48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 08:24:41 pm »

Shipmate60 Bob now looking at trying to mount both motors via belt drive between the twin aft 40 mm gun turning servo I have 120 mm each side of the center line, keel to water line is only 20mm, at this point but waterline to deck is 80mm so will see if it fits ,I looked at both extra long shafts either via unijoints or belt drive from lower shaft to longer upper shaft,  motors are 50mm Dia running a 8mm shaft was trying to keep the motors weight down low as LCS are a very shallow draft vessel .Plan B is to look at a long shaft thru all the hull frames to keep it ridged no shaft warp so thanks for the heads up time to experiment on belt drives tassie48
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.