Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Boat Designs by W.P. Holland  (Read 486 times)

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
Model Boat Designs by W.P. Holland
« on: May 20, 2024, 10:26:22 pm »

After reading (and posting in) Jonty's Sonic Sippi thread, thought the research carried out into Peter Holland's designs might be of interest to some of the forum members. I didn't manage to complete the research, this is as far as I got.

Peter designed a number of model boats. His designs were always futuristic with easy construction. Although the majority of his designs were robotics, he also designed aircraft, vehicles, hovercraft, a land yacht and boats. Below is a list of some of his model boat designs, there will be others.

Flopalong – Martian Canal Boat MM402 Model Maker Nov 1955 (still available Sarik).

Plutonian Plate - surface airscrew craft MM390 Model Maker Aug 1955.

Coot – Oared craft Model Maker June 1956.

Blo-Boat – Airscrew driven boat Oct 1980 Model Maker.

Rubber Power – Free plan in January 1981 Model Maker.

Hot Foot – Unusual three-point hydrofoil airscrew MM476 Aug 1957 Model Maker.

Hover Kat – Hovering catamaran RCM&E April 1964 free plan.

Pete’s Puddler - paddle driven model capable of running on and off the water. Free plan RCM&E September 1964.

Sonic Sippi - half sized plan and item in Vic Smeed's 1957 book, Model Maker Manual.

Nick-R

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Model Boat Designs by W.P. Holland
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 11:40:29 pm »

If Flopalong is what I think it is, I built it in my early teens.  The plan called for a rubber band run pulley to which a connecting rod projecting through the bottom of the hull (boxed in) was attached.  The other end had a piece of flexible material (Perspex?) attached.  Running the motor caused this to flop up and down like a fish’s fins, theoretically driving the boat.  I never managed to get that to work well - lots of wash but not much propulsion so replaced it with a conventional shaft/prop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.