Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: What's your favourite aircraft?  (Read 224715 times)

rockets

Re: What's your favorite aircraft?
« Reply #175 on: February 07, 2010, 03:19:34 pm »

This  F6 Lightning  my brother flew - he did 1200 hours on various versions including this 6 at RAF Hendon Museum (shame it's displayed with wing tanks). I spent some amazing weekends at Binbrook, Lincolnshire where the last two squadrons ( 5 and 11) were stationed. He flew the last Lightening scrambled on Q alert. A sound never forgotten. :o A film crew moved in and made 'Memphis Belle' when the lightnings were withdrawn and scrapped. {:-{  :-)

End of an era I totally agree. Same when the last Buccs went from Lossie.

wbeedie

« Reply #176 on: February 12, 2010, 02:22:16 pm »

Nice Bucc in a garage forecourt near Lossie
Fav planes of all time ME262
Heinkell 111
Mossie
BF109
Stuka
Lancaster
Shakelton more to do with the twin props on each engine
TU95
Sikorsky s 61?63 best sight I have saw while sitting in a liferaft for four hours
SR71
The Vulcan which I saw at one of Lossies airshows

The Antipodean

« Reply #177 on: February 12, 2010, 02:42:19 pm »

Here is a couple from when I was a kid.

This is a Fletcher Topdresser, hard working beast that in a good head wind can be made to go backwards, the right feathering of the prop and some working of the flaps give it the ability to almost hover.

Transavia Airtruck, used for topdressing, cargo delivery to small areas and there was one used as a tow plane for the gliding club my dad was a member of when I was a kid, they also used a J3 Piper Cub. Being a club brat I got to ride in any tow plane that was there on the days I attended, also being around 4 or 5 years old helps there too.

tassie48

« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2010, 06:53:39 am »

ave to be the Japanese Emily seaplane as the IJN AKITSUSHIMA carries one on deck or the WW2 US  bomber B17G tassie

john54

« Reply #179 on: March 17, 2010, 01:45:20 pm »

Boeing 737 the one that returned me & Anne from a C*AP holiday  >>:-(

Tombsy

« Reply #180 on: March 17, 2010, 05:58:11 pm »

In my opinion, nothing comes close to this, mind you I am a bit biased as that is me in the back.It's a dirty job, but someones got to do it...all the best.. 8) 8)..Smudge

Hey all, first post.
Nice job, lucky is right. The Swordfish gets my vote as well, my Dad was a telegraphist in the Swordfish before he joined the Canadian Navy and retired as Commander.
He did say he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn shooting from the backseat.

Cheers from Canada
Brian

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
« Reply #181 on: March 17, 2010, 10:31:09 pm »

Lots of favorites including this Anson.  Been up in it a few times in the early 60s.

Had my first ever flight in a Beverley, (not this one ). Sat at the posh end, high up at the tail.  :-)

Always had a soft spot for 50s / 60s Navy aircraft, one of the favorites being the Westland Wyvern.  Also like the Fairey
  Barracuda. Not everyone's cup of tea but it appeals to me. No complete airframe left but I think there are a few bits at Yeovil.
  I expect the Swordfish man will know.  Must pay another visit.  Not been there since - - -   {:-{- - -  a long time ago.

Alan.

Alan.

Aeronut4

« Reply #182 on: May 16, 2010, 06:37:33 pm »

The Tiger Moth, particularly this one, is my all-time favourite.  Yes, that's my model in the pic and I have flown in the full size!  Pure magic!

tony52

« Reply #183 on: May 16, 2010, 07:50:47 pm »

Gloster Meteor -  originally built 1944.
Martin-Baker still have two in use for testing ejector seats. One is a 1949 build. Does anyone know the build year of their second meteor?

Welshtrooper

« Reply #184 on: May 18, 2010, 09:40:13 pm »

You're right. So how did I miss that? I thought I scoured just about every inch of just about every UK airstrip.
Regarding GE, how come there never seem to be much activity around airports? Heathrow is supposedly the busiest airport in the world, yet you barely see any planes in the sky. The nearest I found are these...

51°22'54.05"N  2°45'27.78"W (Bristol)
 51°36'53.58"N  0°49'47.00"W (High Wycombe)
 50°13'0.41"N  8°52'2.67"E (Germany)

(Nice piece on Guy Fawkes, by the way - tnx).

Did you not see this at Manchester Airport

53°20'19.97"N  2°17'47.06"W

Welshtrooper

« Reply #185 on: May 18, 2010, 09:51:47 pm »

My favourite aircraft has got to be the Tornado

photo by the RAF

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #186 on: May 18, 2010, 10:28:04 pm »

A favourite of mine also - it's STOL capability was amazing - half a dozen of these on our new aircraft carrier could be very useful in the future for ground attack missions.  :-)

swordfish fairey

« Reply #187 on: May 18, 2010, 10:45:24 pm »

Always had a soft spot for 50s / 60s Navy aircraft, one of the favorites being the Westland Wyvern.  Also like the Fairey
  Barracuda. Not everyone's cup of tea but it appeals to me. No complete airframe left but I think there are a few bits at Yeovil.
  I expect the Swordfish man will know.  Must pay another visit.  Not been there since - - -   {:-{- - -  a long time ago.

Alan.

Sorry, I missed this one. yes there is a large chunk of Baccaruda at the Yeovilton Museum. The complete nose back to the windscreen, I also remember a friend of mine going to Norway to salvage some large chunks of one of the Tirpitz attack Barracuda's. Unfortunately he has passed over the bar so cannot confirm. I presume you know that there is a Wyvern at the Museum too, although it is the R R Eagle powered prototype, but it is the only one left...... All the best.....Smudge.. :-)).. :-))

[/quote]

sentry

« Reply #188 on: May 18, 2010, 10:57:45 pm »

Got to be a NIMROD A W E, nearly as ugly and odd shape as me.
                                         Regards, Sentry

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
« Reply #189 on: May 19, 2010, 11:40:56 am »

Alan.

Sorry, I missed this one. yes there is a large chunk of Barracuda at the Yeovilton Museum. The complete nose back to the windscreen, I also remember a friend of mine going to Norway to salvage some large chunks of one of the Tirpitz attack Barracuda's. Unfortunately he has passed over the bar so cannot confirm. I presume you know that there is a Wyvern at the Museum too, although it is the R R Eagle powered prototype, but it is the only one left...... All the best.....Smudge.. :-)).. :-))

Thanks for your reply Smudge.   :-)) Yes, I do know of the Museum Wyvern.  I last saw it on a visit about 15 ? years ago.  It looks nice and graceful compared to the Barracuda.  The swan and the ugly duckling springs to mind.  The Barracuda appears as if it had bits and pieces added as an afterthought.
I like it anyway.  Would have loved to have seen a complete example.

Must pay another visit, ( without my wife this time ) she can "VIEW" ALL a museum's exhibits while I am still studying the first item.  Then it's "How long are you going to be".   >>:-(

Alan.
Alan.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #190 on: May 19, 2010, 01:34:30 pm »

For me it has to be the Sunderland flying boat.
As a boy I lived in a house that overlooked
RAF Pembroke Dock. There were two squadrons
based there in the 40's We could see them take off
and land every day. Also every kind of RAF vessel was
tied to buoys amongst the aircraft.
Everyone was sad to see them go

Yours Aye
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

rathikrishna

« Reply #191 on: December 02, 2010, 03:24:26 pm »

Sir..when we considering the Super marine Spitfire and Mosquito's, its sure to think about Corsairs...it was the great machine of WW2...here two of my models...when it was launched in later stages of WW2 it was unmatched...even the P47 stays back with it..we know...so it got the nickname the whistling death....and yes its noise reminds that....

pugwash

« Reply #192 on: December 02, 2010, 06:31:46 pm »

Of the aircraft built my favourites have to be the Spitfire, Mosquito (only the british would build a WWII plane out
of spruce ) and the Blackbird Buccaneer.
Of the aircraft not built I would have loved to seen them fly - Saunders-Roe SR177  and the Canadian Avro Arrow CF105,
both cancelled due to interference from the U.S. aircraft industry and in the case of the SR177 huge bribes by lockheed
to the German government to buy the F104 Starfighter and we know how rubbish that was. Plus the TSR2 of course.
Geoff

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: December 08, 2010, 12:55:48 pm »

Bristol Beaufighter, thimble nose, invasion stripes, sea gray finish, brutal but beautiful..
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #194 on: December 08, 2010, 06:46:21 pm »

For me it has to be the Sunderland flying boat.
As a boy I lived in a house that overlooked
RAF Pembroke Dock. There were two squadrons
based there in the 40's We could see them take off
and land every day. Also every kind of RAF vessel was
tied to buoys amongst the aircraft.
Everyone was sad to see them go

Yours Aye
Ned

Not sure if you knew this or not, but we have a Sunderland float in storage at the Steamboat Museum Ned.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

airwolf572010

« Reply #195 on: December 09, 2010, 08:30:20 pm »

Yes for you Martin Hobbyking has just released a new big Mossie so have a look at it and its not badly priced either, thinking of one meselrf, however
I am sitting looking at two rc big jets I have they are both T45 and one this the Red Arrow version and the other is the T45 Gosliong used by the US Navy
These are my 2 favourites as they fly great also. My next would be hangling on the wall and its the Dassault Alpha 5 flown by the Portuguese Airforce.
The colour scheme is fantastic  and she also flies like a dream with a 90mm fan guiding her along. Another big jet.
So have a look at that mossie Martin
Airwolf :-))

chingdevil

« Reply #196 on: December 09, 2010, 11:06:43 pm »

Favorite Aircraft

Concorde followed by a Tornado GR4, Phantom F4G in my mind all classic aircraft.

Brian

rathikrishna

« Reply #197 on: December 10, 2010, 06:40:19 am »

Friends..can we forget the F4 Phantom..?  i still love its cock pit panel with a round dials...ahh...is there any aircraft like it..?  i always feel it as a raging bull....ommm...yummy...

airwolf572010

« Reply #198 on: December 10, 2010, 08:14:41 am »

Yes I forgot bout the phantom should have know better bein from Aussie .. In fact Ive just ordered a RC version of the Navy F4 and am awaiting it with baited breath
good one :-))

rathikrishna

« Reply #199 on: December 10, 2010, 10:38:29 am »

ohh..if so..great...i have some actual footage of F4s...oh..i cant explain the experience that experienced by the brave pilots on that mission...it was an unarmed aircraft version, and was on a rec: mission...so my first model was that one, and followed by 6 more variants...last one was the F4 wild weasel..in to 1:35th scale...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.