Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your favourite aircraft?  (Read 224729 times)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What's your favorite aircraft?
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2008, 04:59:57 pm »

the De Haviland Comet, worlds first jet powered airliner should be rated high in the worlds greatest airliners.
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2008, 05:30:02 pm »

Hi all I read Vulcan 607, un-put-downable!  I believe that was just one of the flights, I think it was done 5 times.  One of the Vulcans failed during subsequent flights and had to land in South America (Brazil?).

That vulcan is now at the museum at east fortune (near Edinburgh) along with one of the concordes
a place worth a look if you are near O0

Robert Davies

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2008, 07:38:24 pm »

I was taking pics of my finished Revell S-65 1/72 S-Boat when this little thing popped briefly into view....

Always been a favourite and nice to see it still flying :)

-Rob

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2008, 09:19:08 pm »

633 Squadron in on the Freeview  (ITV 4) again at the moment... I bet all the aviation museums wished that they hadn't smashed up quite so many Mosquitoes now!    :'(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

chingdevil

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2008, 09:29:11 pm »

Ghost
My first ever flight was in a Comet D, with British Caledonian. I sat in my seat reading the material in the seat pocket, when it suddenly came to me that these things used to fall out of the sky, scary!!

Brian

OMK

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2008, 10:37:33 pm »

The Ready 2 is ok, but as its moulded plastic it weighs a LOT, so needs at least an Irvine 53 to run well. It also does not glide or dead-stick very well at all

I stuck a .52 4-stroke up its nose, on a 11x7 prop. Half throttle is usually all it needs. I been deadstick a couple times but can't say I noticed any issues with its glide slope.

Ghost' was bang-on when he mentioned the Comet. Apart from its iffy track record it was a very slinky-looking plane. To me, it's the epitomy of everything British. It's just such a shame they kept falling from the skies.
A recent thread asked what you would do with the money if you won the lottery. My answer would be to wave huge wads of the stuff under the noses of all you engineers, then bribe you to build a plane that would be a cross between a sleeky Comet and a Lancaster.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2008, 11:24:54 pm »

A couple even I'm not old enough to have worked on, seen at Rougham (Bury St Edmunds) in 2005.

Rick

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2008, 06:40:48 am »

The Spitfire is hard to beat for looks, with that beautiful elliptical wing - it still looks great in the air today, over 70 years after it was designed. My favourite jet fighter aircraft was the Hawker Hunter, a beautifully proportioned aeroplane, and another British product.

Martin I'm pleased you posted the photos of the VC10, in my opinion, one of the most graceful looking airliners ever built. The first time I ever saw one was a BOAC aircraft departing Brisbane airport directly overhead my parents' house, probably in the mid 60s, absolutely magnificent. The rear fuselage mounted engines gave it a very clean, uncluttered appearance, not evident in today's  wing mounted engine aircraft. The Bristol Britannia was another good looking airliner, which had a relatively short career as pure jets took precedence.

I love watching the big airliners land and take off, especially at the now closed Hong Kong Kai Tak airport. Watching the heavies making the Checkerboard approach to Runway 13 was incredible, and actually being in one that was doing so was even better - I was lucky enough to have that experience on 3 occasions, and it's something I'll never forget. One QANTAS pilot is said to have remarked that a flight from Sydney to Hong Kong Kai Tak was 8 hours of boredom, followed by 60 seconds of sheer terror. There are some excellent photos available for viewing on www.airliners.net

Peter

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2008, 09:28:32 am »

Psychedelic Hawker Hunter   :o

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Reade Models

« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2008, 10:21:13 am »

PMK

Going back to much earlier post....
That glider over High Wycombe was well spotted!  Took me a couple of minutes to find it.  Difficult with the wings aligned to the topography?

Regarding lack of visible traffic over airports...
Satellite snapshots obviously only capture a split seconds worth of activity.  Have you tried searching the flight paths?  One of my clients has offices in Cheadle, and if I'm working over there I have to drive past the end of Manchester Airport runway.  On a clear day it's easily possible to see the headlights of as many as six incoming all aligned on the runway and around 90 seconds (my guess) apart!  Incoming traffic seems to be pretty constant most mornings.  I think that they also give priority to the faster aircraft?

I guess it all depends on when the satellite takes the picture?

Regards, Malc

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2008, 10:26:38 am »

hi there, I am very surprised at us all - not one of us has mentioned any Flying Boats as yet  :)  I have a softspot for the Walrus the 'shagbag' as it was known and also the Sunderland Flying Boat.  Plus I also like the PY Catalina flying boat was a nice one.....

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2008, 02:14:46 pm »

Yes you're quite right Bluebird, flying boats!

Catalina - love the way they came up with that huge wing first and then hung a plane underneath!

Sunderland...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2008, 02:18:49 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2008, 02:19:51 pm »

Few more of my favorite 'Sea planes'.........

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2008, 02:25:41 pm »

Happy DC 3!   O0

andyn

« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2008, 04:56:35 pm »

What about the Hughes 'Spruse Goose'?

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2008, 05:56:20 pm »

the sunderland are something else.
I was inside the one at hendon and I knew it was big
but not that big   {-)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2008, 01:51:34 am »

Martin, are the photos of the Sunderland in the building with the red steel work taken at Hendon? I was there on an earlier visit to London some years ago, and it looks familiar. One of our table companions on our recent QE2 cruise was a former RAF pilot who flew Sunderlands, Avro Shackletons, helicopters, and for a while, Nimrods. He retired from the RAF in the mid 70s to take up a position as a civil servant in the Social Security Department in England. He had some great tales to tell of his experiences as a young pilot of the various aircraft in many countries, including the Middle East, Singapore, Malaya, and South Africa.
Peter.

PS: What a great photo resource Airliners.net is, I use it constantly.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2008, 09:54:35 pm »

Saro Princess whilst we're on flying boats?

But to go back to the beginning, how about the de Havilland Hornet, a refined and even prettier reduction of the Mosquito? And if you think the P51 is handsome, take a look at the Martin Baker MB5.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2008, 11:37:04 pm »

I don't agree,
I don't think the hornet is as good as the mosquito it is like the hawker typhoon and tempest
the hornet and tempest were the upgrades but most preferred the original versions

interesting thought that the originsof the P-51 originated in the Uk
but as the factories/ designers were at full capacity the air ministry looked across
the pond and issued the design breif to the americans.
Now we know why it did not work properly until the merlins were installed {-)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2008, 12:43:31 am »

Few more of my favorite 'Sea planes'.........

give me a catalina PLEEEEEESE
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2008, 02:49:46 pm »

Hi all, just an aside on the last post.  I don't believe we get Upton date satelite pictures, certainly not on google earth anyway.  I checked my own house on the sat picture and it shows the house before I bought it over 4 years ago.  The puzzling thing is that about a year ago it showed my house with details of an upstairs conversion, now it is back to a picture several years before we moved in,  without the conversion.
Also my son's house in Oz does not show changes that would be obvious from above from last October (2007)

Are there Upton date satelite pictures to view?

regards Roy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2008, 03:16:28 pm »

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2008, 04:54:40 pm »

PMK

Going back to much earlier post....
That glider over High Wycombe was well spotted!  Took me a couple of minutes to find it.  Difficult with the wings aligned to the topography?

Regarding lack of visible traffic over airports...
Satellite snapshots obviously only capture a split seconds worth of activity.  Have you tried searching the flight paths?  One of my clients has offices in Cheadle, and if I'm working over there I have to drive past the end of Manchester Airport runway.  On a clear day it's easily possible to see the headlights of as many as six incoming all aligned on the runway and around 90 seconds (my guess) apart!  Incoming traffic seems to be pretty constant most mornings.  I think that they also give priority to the faster aircraft?

I guess it all depends on when the satellite takes the picture?

Regards, Malc

i did all my gliding and  glider training at booker ( high wycombe )- also now for my sins i work with a window looking down over windsor and the castle, in the distance i can see the towers of canary wharf, i can see the wembley stadium arch, i can also see the  runways at heathrow and in the evenings especially i can see the aircraft coming in over osterly and out towards chicwick and kew coming in on finals, often you can count a dozen sets of lights in the sky all waiting to come in, and yes its about 80 seconds inbetween flights ... no wonder i spend all day at work gazing out of the window !!!
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Bradley

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2008, 05:46:08 pm »

I wouldn't say it was my favourite aircraft but, I think, a little one that oozes character is the Bucker Jungmeister.  A German aerobatic biplane that was built for competition and I saw one of the first to fly into Rochester Aerodrome (Kent) many (too many) years ago.  It was still resplendent in its yellow paint complete with swastikas.  There are now several in the UK but none retain that paint scheme.  Also, the Swedish model that won the World Scale Championships a year or so ago was a real beauty - I will try to attach a photograph of it that I found on the internet.
Derek.    :police:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.