Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I have now joined the club - Engel Lafayette  (Read 11191 times)

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
Re: I have now joined the club - Engel Lafayette
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2008, 07:58:31 pm »

camera now back so here are some piccies under way. still got problems with BTS, so took a bit of weight out so she wouldnt totally submerge. great fun. though reckon to hell with red and black, shes going to be dayglo orange, take some of the staring at an empty pond of the equation.
colin
grumpy old XXX

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 09:38:34 pm »

BTS sorted. now the speed controller has given up!! me and electronics. running a 15A mtroniks. will get the next size up.
still great fun.
grumpy old XXX

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 11:51:33 pm »

Looks nicely trimed there Colin, finished well in time for the Pool runs  O0

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2008, 09:01:39 pm »

actualy the water is desceptive. she is a bit too nose up. rather that than nose down, though.
I did have a brand new Mtroniks 15A, but that kept cutting out then packed up all together. it was kind of hot so figure it was build up of heat. hoping a 40A sorts it. it was fun though. looking forward to pool run.
incidently, made a start on putting the hull right on my Seehund, see how it goes.
grumpy old XXX

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 09:41:28 am »

Hi Colin,good to hear your enjoying yourself with that sub.
On the point of your M/Troniks s/c, check that the small B.E.C chip has not fallen off the side of the heatsink and hanging loose. They were only stuck on and have tendancy to drop off, they are then no longer able to loose their heat and cut out when the temp reaches about 100deg C. You will probably find that it cuts in again when it cools off. If this is the case, don't stick it back on... it will fall off again, so get a small piece of aluminium around inch and a half square, drill a hole in it and bolt the chip on to it, this will aid heat dissapation and solve the problem.

It will save you some dosh and I think your 15A controller is probably ok sizewise for that boat. Personally, I use the M/Troniks 40A Viper SSR as it has an uprated BEC (1 1/2A) and it is contained within the unit and this eliminates the bec problem.   
Out of interest, how many functions are running off your RX and have you any idea what the total current drain is at full throttle ?
Regards.... Chris

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2008, 11:12:00 am »

I am a convert to switching BEC's over the linear ones in most esc's. Rather more efficient with battery power and no more overheating ESC. I just snip the red wire off the esc to rx cable to disable the onbaord bec. A good quality 3A bec is about £5-10.
Most linear BEC rated at say 1.5amps are only good for that with a 6v supply, hook up 12v and try to draw 1.5amps and you start to oerload it. My Emgel Laff runs of a 15 amp ESC just fine by the way.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2008, 06:31:36 pm »

Chris, mtoniks havnt done an external BEC for a while now, i cant remember seeing one.
the motor is pulling .5A out of water.!
just tried my new useless 15A, with the esc enabled, the rest of the functuions work, but not the motor.(no LEDS)

my old 15A Mtronic worked for a bit, then kept cutting out. cant use it though as there is a noticable time lag between stop and forward, and i can not program it out. the old  one also cuts out after 20 mins or so, but not failed totaly, wheras the new one has stoped workin the motor.
i hate speed controllers, they always fail on me, eventualy.

i am running 4 x 6v packs. 2 in series to give me 2 packs of 12v. one feeds the motor, the other the dive unit. the radio is fed from the dive battery of a receiver fly lead at 6v. the Mtronics has the red wire disconected.
fed up
colin
grumpy old XXX

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2008, 07:37:48 pm »

Should be under warranty if it's new. I've heard of these going bad, so worth seeing if they'll offer a replacement.

The best ESC's I ever encountered for marine use were made by Mike Stothers. He rated them for 20-25A, but they would take a lot more than that.
Sold quite a few of those to fellow club members who'd had problems with other makes, never got a single return. Unfortunately I haven't heard from Mike in a long time, and they no longer seem to be available.

Andy

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2008, 09:01:42 pm »

yes there is a limited warranty on mtroniks. but not if you replace the connections like i did. will not be doing that on my very expensive replacement. i have got througgh a few of these, think i had a bad run.
will sort it
colin
grumpy old XXX

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 10:26:20 am »

That's a nuisance. Although I believe it's possible for the manufacturer to diagnose if the failure was due to the controller being connected up with reverse polarity.

I've heard very good things about Robbe's Rocraft ESC's, although they are rather expensive.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 11:05:31 am »

colin.

Are you using the VIPER mtroniks SC ??

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 02:33:58 pm »

Colin, we always used the M/Troniks 'Sub10' but as mentioned before, moved over to the Viper SSR.  We have always run 12volt and simply utilised the BEC to drive the RX and apart from the odd bec dropping off (bad idea) they have been great. Given the number of these I've sent out over the years, I have only ever had a handful back so I reckon you have been darned unlucky.
It is worth phoning M/Troniks and explaining your situation and the fact they are installed in a submarine, they are always helpful and accomodating.
As a point of interest, I just took delivery of a 'Sub 10' Viper and it has the BEC attached externally so they do still make them. It states clearly that this unit has 'immediate reaction high power reverse' so I think your slow reaction type was not intended for sub use.
Worth a phone call, give em a try?

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 04:06:03 pm »

chris, sorry, didnt see the "sub 10" bit. thats a new one on me. just looked on their page for "SSR"m, no joy. take it you flog it? can you send me details. ordered there marine 40, hoping that will sort it. no agro with replacing connectors, you solder on youre own.
any more advice, greatly appreciated. this thing is costing a fortune, and i ain'nt bought any "gimmiks" as yet.

getting broke fast, girlfreind is actualy cheaper than this particular bit of my hobby

colin
grumpy old XXX

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 09:39:44 pm »

Hi Colin, simply type in 'mtroniks sub 10 viper' in your search box and click on the website, the whole thing will open for you.
I would attach some kind of link for you but my brain is fried after today and I can't remember how to do it.
If you do decide to go after such a unit, I do have one so let me know if you're interested.
Incidently, when I supply these items to my customers, I chop off the mtroniks plugs and fit my own as well as chopping off the  'on off' switch and permanently connecting the switch wires... I don't use the swiches as I simply connect the battery for power 'on' and disconnect for 'off'. If clients prefer them in original condition I simply supply them as they come.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer

steve*mac

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2008, 08:47:48 pm »

I agree with the mtronics, have one in my Lafayette and despite some over-enthusiastic useage never had any dramas... talking of which, anyone want to buy a lafayette, having a clearout.. too many subs and too little a shed.. :D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.