Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: European Passenger Ferry kits (for RC)  (Read 102072 times)

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: European Passenger Ferry kits (for RC)
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2009, 12:21:53 pm »

This is a nice model of a ferry, seen at the Doncaster show.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/shows2009/Doncaster2009/imagepages/image118.html

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2009, 01:04:59 pm »

Very nice!  <:(

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2009, 06:41:11 pm »

Hi Simon . I agree with you. The big difference is price. Heljan have been brave to make loco like the clayton a very short lived loco.The difference is that is priced at around £100 so fan will buy + others. As the price gos up the amount fan's that can afford it go's down and so do the amount of one off buyers.The only way to bring a kit down is mass production and that's the likes of robbe or graunper . Are lot of very good manufacturers are not geared up for mass production.
 Stability is still an issue. Ferries are top heavy. so take for example Ulysse the top half of here would have to be made very light to reduce weight up top. This would mean a manufacture would have to put in extra design here more cost. Most ferries have shallow draft. This would mean a big scale so the model can take weight of a lot of ballast to improve here stability. This mean a larger model make more cost and mean people need a big car reducing market appeal.
I would love nothing more than  a good kit of a nice modern ferry for £400 to £500 but I can see it happening.

ZZ56. the 1:100 scale is common in the merchant model boat scale. Yes car are very hard to fine in that scale but they do exist as I have bought some for my model ferry Celestine which is at 1:100
 Take a look at the photo which Martin posted. Note the depth of happy hunter which is behind the pride of Hull. Happy hunter a smaller model a bigger scale about 1:60? has more hull in the water than the pride of Hull smaller scale at 215m long i would say about 1:150 ish . Pride of hull has a lot more out of the water than happy hunter as a manufacture I know which one would be on my production line and it ant the pride of Hull.
Martin got any more photos or info on her.
John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2009, 07:02:24 pm »

There is another factor to take into account and that is windage. When you scale down a ship the displacement reduces by the cube root but the surface area of the side of the hull only goes down by the square root. As real wind stays the same the wind force on the hull is disproportionate on a model compared to the real thing. That is why most scale sailing boats need a false keel to carry a decent amount of sail. In the case of our ferry more than a gentle breeze will tend to make her list. Combine this with the hull being "tender" anyway for reasons previously stated and you end up with a rather cranky model on the pond. Obviously the bigger the model the less the effect but it is still a headache for the designer.

Colin

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2009, 07:48:30 pm »

Thanks for all the replies John and Colin - interesting. Your photo of the Irish ferry is very inspiring John and what a sleek design! With an appropriate hull this particular ferry would be fairly "easy" to scratch build I think with styrene sheet.

Simon

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2009, 08:08:04 pm »

not until you have seen her stern area. What a detailing night mare.
I was due to go on her last Friday put my company changed last second  and I went via Stena line .
John

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2009, 08:27:14 pm »

Just remembered, I got pictures of Ferries!

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Gallery/Portsmouth/index.htm

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2009, 09:15:42 pm »

Cheers for the photos Martin and John. I can see I'm going to have to have a go at scratch building one of these vessels! The Irish Ferries example in your photos John might be a possibility. I was wondering if I could use the Finnjet hull and some of the superstructure as a starting point; basically a slightly larger scale but a shorter, more chunky ferry than the Finnjet. Perhaps even a freelance design incorporating bits of other ferries. Any thoughts fellas? My biggest concern is sorting out the RC components (how to do the prop tubes, waterproofing them, wiring, where to purchase all the stuff,  :(etc).

Simon  :((

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2009, 09:35:02 pm »

Cheers for the photos Martin and John. I can see I'm going to have to have a go at scratch building one of these vessels! The Irish Ferries example in your photos John might be a possibility. I was wondering if I could use the Finnjet hull and some of the superstructure as a starting point; basically a slightly larger scale but a shorter, more chunky ferry than the Finnjet. Perhaps even a freelance design incorporating bits of other ferries. Any thoughts fellas? My biggest concern is sorting out the RC components (how to do the prop tubes, waterproofing them, wiring, where to purchase all the stuff,  :(etc).

Simon if I was you and was going to build a scratch build ferry I would not get 1 hull from 1 ship and try and get the superstructure from another to fit. Yes do it If you are making a freelance ferry but not if you are going to all the hard work of making a model of a prototype.
1 choose your ferry make a list of 3 and search for what you can get Ie plans photos available.Remember what I and Colin have said about stability
2 Work out the biggest model you can handed Ie car/workshop etc. This will dictate the scale.
AS for water proofing electrics rc and the rest don't worry there's many many experts on here that will help you on this build.

John

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2009, 10:01:02 pm »

Cheers John. Here's an interesting link which you might have seen: http://irishseashipping.com/memorabilia/BIModels/BIModels.htm

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: August 04, 2009, 11:08:43 pm »

Hi Simon nice find there ,thats one for the book mark folder . Look at the model of Ulysse they have on that site. She has naff all under the water. It amassing on how they stay up wright.

Here is a propasel for you. Seafrance Moliere ex ex superfast X .http://www.doverferryphotos.co.uk/pastandpresent/nicoli.htm.
Why here. well there is a kit 1:100. If you go back early in this thread  Hama found a shop in Germany that did superfast VII the kit was €1100 and plans were €75 . Sine Superfast X have been owned by several operators this increases the chances of getting good info/plans form them . Go to page 2 of the thread and Sven said there is a chance of getting info from Superfast at Rostock . I have 296 photos of superfast I to X on my lap top happy to share.
As A build she not the hardest nice straight side not to high superstructure . good bit of hull under water line .

John

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: August 04, 2009, 11:29:09 pm »

Cheers for the info John! Nice looking ferry with a hull quite similar to the Finnjet. If I did choose this vessel I'd certainly appreciate some more of your excellent photos. Did you have in mind the Finnjet hull as a basis for this ferry, or was it by chance that the two hulls are similar?

All the best
Simon  %%

ZZ56

« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2009, 02:13:40 am »

ZZ56. the 1:100 scale is common in the merchant model boat scale. Yes car are very hard to fine in that scale but they do exist as I have bought some for my model ferry Celestine which is at 1:100.

Do you know who manufactures them?  I was considering some figures and maybe vehicles for a future project (dock) but i couldn't find any in 1:100 or 1:96 scales. 

ZZ56

« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2009, 03:11:04 am »

The Finnjet looks very small at 1:400 scale.  The smaller the model, the smaller the sea it can sail in. 

I would echo everyone else's suggestions about building the largest ferry you can practically transport.  Perhaps a smaller prototype might be called for.  For actually constructing it: 
Build a wood/fiberglass hull only up to a line drawn level with the top of the bows
Make everything above this line out of thin styrene card
When ballasting, place ALL weight BELOW the waterline.  Leave nothing above

Try to get this kind of weight distribution:   

You might also want to look into having working stabilizers, connected either to a pendulum or to the rudders, to prevent her from heeling too much in turns or underway in a crosswind.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2009, 09:15:12 am »

these were taken at hop farm/ southern model airshow a year or two ago
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2009, 10:32:22 am »

all in all its just another brick in the wall......

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2009, 12:48:59 pm »

Nice pictures Guy!

There is one other plastic ferry kit which can be found secondhand if you hunt around on the internet and that is the Heller "Avenir" in 1/300 scale I believe (a good size for RC conversion). It looks very nice but I'm more interested in modern prototypes.

Simon

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: August 05, 2009, 07:56:37 pm »

Hi Simon The Avenir is rare as so expect very high prices..
For the Sea France I would not use Finnjet hull very different Bow and sterns.
If you like this ferry what you will need is a set of line drawings for the hull. May be some one on her could use one of the computer programs to make you a set of hull line. I haven't a clue on this. I would wright in German to that shop In Germany for the cost of 1 plans 2 hull ONLY bear in mind the real ferry is 204m long so at 1:100 the hull will be 2.04m long. Celestine is 1.62m long and ONLY just fits in a Mondao .
Next from there with photos etc you should be able to get a round most problems.
There is another Ferry that could be done and that is Sealink St Colmba ,no hull but you can get a good set of model plans which I have a copy.
So like I said Simon get a list of Ferry you like and go for there let us know and we can try and work out pro's and con's for each.
When Celestine clears the building slip I am starting Finnjet 1:100 2.14m long. This will go in a special made roof box which will bolt to my roof rack. I have wall a round my work shop with a 2.4m long plank to see if I had clearance to get her in and out and Its a tight fit put she fits .
Pm me your address and I will try and get you that CD of ferry photos yo you.

Hi ZZ56 go on ebay and type in 1:100 car click world wide and there you see them. There are 2 types 1 is what architects use on model of buildings and the second is made by Kyosho for Japan collecters market. For peope prisler do a box ,try ebay or 4D model in London.

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2009, 06:53:28 pm »

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2009, 09:29:05 pm »

Great find John!   :-))

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2009, 11:24:27 am »

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: August 09, 2009, 11:57:30 am »

And this one for Brittany Ferries:

http://www.bfenthusiasts.com/

Colin

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: August 09, 2009, 12:27:10 pm »

Hello Martin, John, Colin and everyone else in this thread,

I've decided to buy the Finnjet and convert it into a freelance ferry. Instead of the double funnels I will replace these with one funnel moved to around midships. I am going to base the model on an amalgamation of three very nice ferries (my favourites), namely: "Stena Europe"; Irish Ferries "Normandy", and "Stena Germanica". I think these vessels are all very elegant and nicely proportioned. I will modify the upper decks around the stern to achieve a similar shape to the above three ferries, i.e. the square block look. The model will be painted white with either a red or green funnel and named something like "Neptune"; "Rosslare" or "Fishguard" (the latter two because it was in these locations that I started getting interested in ferries). I might do a building thread here if anyone is interested? I'd certainly appreciate some help with the radio control part of the construction; where to source all the parts and how to wire everything up! I was wondering about making the hull of the Finnjet a bit shorter (to replicate the more compact look of the three chosen ferries) by cutting it in two in the middle and removing a small amount of plastic and then rejoining it with styrene sheet and filler. I suppose a working bow thruster is not possible in this small scale?  I realise that ballasting the model correctly and making sure it doesn't blow over is important. I'd appreciate any views on all of the above!

Cheers
Simon  %)

PS: Here are some nice photos of 'Stena Europe" around Fishguard I believe - what a lovely looking ferry!  http://www.abergwaun.com/places/fishguard/stenaeurope/140302/index.htm

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: August 09, 2009, 01:37:51 pm »

Could anyone suggest which thickness plasticard styrene sheet (in millimetres) I should get for the Finnjet conversion - for modifying the sides of the deck, the deck itself, and the funnel? I am thinking about the weight versus strength issue and I want to avoid the plastic warping as it does when the solvent dries.

Many thanks
Simon

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2009, 03:08:02 pm »

Hi Simon That's some nice  ferry's you have picked. I have just down loaded there deck plans  . What I will do is compare them to Finnjet then look at my Finnjet model and try work out what a good route to go. I would advise no thicker than 1.5mm near the top.
I was in Roslair on the Stena hss to Fishguard . A long side us was the Stena Europe.

John
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.