Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: European Passenger Ferry kits (for RC)  (Read 102074 times)

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: European Passenger Ferry kits (for RC)
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2009, 03:26:14 pm »

Nice to hear from you John. I'm pleased that you like my choice of ferries. I'd really appreciate your offer to look into the Finnjet model to see what might be possible with regards to these three ferries (I think Normandy and Stena Europe are basically the same type of ferry - they certainly look identical). I just like these vessels because of their nice clean lines and well-proportioned looks. They would all make attractive RC models and I think the Finnjet could be easily modified to look something like one of my choices.

Cheers
Simon

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2009, 04:22:55 pm »

I've decided to buy the Finnjet and convert it into a freelance ferry...

Which kit is that Simon?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2009, 04:58:20 pm »

Hello Martin,

It's the Revell model (1/400 scale I think).

Cheers
Simon  ok2

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2009, 05:04:51 pm »

Hi Simon . Stena Europe is 150m long by 26wide. Finnjet is 215m long by 25 wide. On a model we can with easily lengthen/shorten a hull but not make it wider. So given that FJ and SE have all most the same width.The scale for Stena Europa is 1:400 making her 37.5 cms long ,Finnjet is 53 cms long. So we have to remove 15.5cms of Finjets hull to give us the wright width to length ratio of Stena Europa.
Here is were the proplems start. Looking At Finnjet hull there is a only a 10cms long section were the bow stop tapering in and the stern starts tapering out.
Second take any hull you have 3 sections 1 stern 2 midships 3 bow. There is more cubic air in a midships section due to the fact that at the bow and stern they tapering in and up reducing the cubic volume of air below the water line. For you to get the correct width to length ratio on SE you are going to have to remove ALL of Finnjets midships section.This will drastically reduce the volume below the water line.The model of Finnjet hull can support only just enough weight for thr kit +motors,esc,radio etc.
I don't know if it can be done sorry to say ,Wold love to hear other people thought or any solutions.

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2009, 05:13:09 pm »

here a plan of Finnjet and Stena Europe in about the same scale not to sure on SE height but length is about bang on. There a fair difference.

John

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2009, 05:40:07 pm »

Hello John,

Many thanks for the comparison diagrams which are very helpful. The longer hull of the Finnjet is not a problem because I would probably keep it that length and just alter the funnels (one instead of two and in the approximate midships position) plus build up the sides and fill in the stern deck area, thus giving the model a fuller look. My intention is not to replicate "Stena Europe", etc, just to draw strong influence from it with a similar livery and other features. However, if anyone does know the answer to your question about how to reduce the length of the Finnjet hull whilst maintaining enough room for the RC gear plus keeping the model buoyant I'd be most interested to hear! John what components for the RC are you using and where did you buy them all?

Simon

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2009, 06:01:18 pm »

I see your plan now Simon .
RC Gear
motors there are 180 I got them at a show pay 1 or 2 quid for them. Silicon fuel tube for coupling 
Steering servo I use one of thoes small micro servo's most model shop stock them ,I use my local shop Howes of Oxford.
ESC  In these plastic kit conversion I use Action kits .P82 micro motor mixer and P68A micro ESC. Speak to Dave FLJ on this forum. Top Products
Battery I use a 4.8v pack size determined by the weight + space available in the model.Most good model shop stock them or you could speak to John at Model power.
Radio. any 2ch will do . I would not go 27mhz as not many frequency slots as compared to  40 mhz or 2.4ghz. Unless you are stuck for size or weight use a normal receiver and you can remove it case saving a few grams.
Prop shaft. Go to a model shop that stocks K\S brass . get some rod and tube this will do.
Props. Finnjet has good plastic props have to drill them out to fit on to the brass rod and clean them up. If you want to go brass Speak to Simon at Prop Shop.
Rudders. Made up from flat brass and rod.
If you are stuck on any thing let me know Simon and we will see what can be worked out

John

Ps If I was you get a selection of plastic card from 1.5mm down to the thinnest. When you come to add it to your model you can then look at them and see which is the THINNEST you can use for that task.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2009, 07:23:20 pm »

Hi Simon here some photos of the Stena Europe I took in Roslair  .

John

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2009, 08:28:23 pm »

Great photos John! Thanks for posting them. I've got the Finnjet on order now so hopefully I can start to design a nice ferry with lots of inspiration taken from the Stena Europe. I'll keep you and everyone else involved with this thread up to date with my progress.

All the best John
Simon   %)

ZZ56

« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2009, 06:51:44 am »

Have a look at this thread on RCgroups, Simon.  I think it might be right up your alley.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1048020

I thought there was a duplicate here but I can't seem to find it.   {:-{

EDIT:  the part about the laser cutting was really interesting; if you are afraid of making mistakes on the frames and keel and you've got the money, it sounds like a good alternative to hand-cutting.

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2009, 01:15:21 pm »

Cheers for the excellent link ZZ56! Very interesting article...

%%

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: August 21, 2009, 01:41:28 pm »

Hello John,

My Finnjet kit arrived today! Luckily it's not damaged because the box got badly crushed in the post. I checked it all and everything seems fine. Now all I need to do is build it! Any help with the RC side of things would be most welcome...

All the best
Simon

PS - I've attached a photo that I took a few days ago near Marseille. In the distance can be seen a ferry to Corsica. The vessel had just left Marseille. It was very hot that day and lovely in the sea! The photo was taken at about 7.00pm just after I got out of the water!

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2009, 11:35:52 pm »

Hi Simon that sure looks nice in the south of France.
Glad you got a Finnjet. Any question fire away and we will see what can be done.
I have started a build thread on my Finnjet I real must get some more work done on her.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=19100.0
John

andygh

« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2009, 11:52:19 pm »

Fantastic view, I'm getting all excited about going down to my sisters place at Cap D'Agde in a few weeks now

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: September 03, 2009, 11:16:42 am »

hi Simon
On Monday I am on the Stena Europe I will try and get some photos for you. Its great on these ferries as you get wi fi on board so you are getting this from the Stena Explorer in the middle of a choppy Irish sea.

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: September 07, 2009, 10:59:13 pm »

HI all went on Stena Europe today. What a lovely boat. There was loads of nice deck to walk on not like on modern ferry. She might be old but the sun was out it was  warm and it was a lovely crossing on a great boat.

John

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: September 08, 2009, 12:42:09 pm »

Hello John!

Sorry about the delay in responding to your earlier posting. I bet it is a nice ferry to travel on and the fact that you can walk around on the decks is a real bonus. Any more photos of the ferry?

Cheers
Simon

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: September 08, 2009, 11:32:13 pm »

Hi Simon I have a few more i will try and get them up on the next few days.

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: September 09, 2009, 08:51:47 pm »

Hi Simon
here are some more photos.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #169 on: September 10, 2009, 01:56:19 pm »

She really is a nice ship ..

Im looking harder into the M/V Caribou she is a gallant ship and would make a nice working model .... plus she's close to home

Hard to believe this ship only draws 6.6 to 7.4 meters of water ..

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: September 10, 2009, 02:14:22 pm »

John, really nice photos of the "Europe" there. As More Coffee says she really is a fine looking vessel, with very clean lines. What a great ferry for a model. The MV Caribou looks good too More Coffee and the overall design looks similar to the Revell Finnjet. Maybe a conversion job or a freelance model along the same lines?

Cheers
Simon

More Coffee

« Reply #171 on: September 10, 2009, 08:08:28 pm »

John, really nice photos of the "Europe" there. As More Coffee says she really is a fine looking vessel, with very clean lines. What a great ferry for a model. The MV Caribou looks good too More Coffee and the overall design looks similar to the Revell Finnjet. Maybe a conversion job or a freelance model along the same lines?Cheers
Simon

Nope ..i have the initial line's for Caribou.. Just need more facts , wheel house camber ,front superstructure rake, funnel dimension, ..Etc.. lots more pictures ..hopfully i can lay her out ..

More Coffee

« Reply #172 on: September 16, 2009, 03:27:38 am »

OK ..i did some math but probably more worthy of different thread..than this one ..on some intial lines i have of said ship above ..using Archimedes principal ..if it takes 56 pounds of water to fill it ..then it can lift 56 pounds ..
So my meager math skills tell me that i would have to build a ship thats 179 cm long,25cm wide, about 54 cm high ..that has a draft of 6.6 cm ..and can weigh no more than 56 lbs .. this dosent seem realistic ..It doesnt speak sea worthy model ..any body else have any ideas..

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: September 17, 2009, 06:05:26 pm »

Hi there. I take it you are displacing about 25.4 Kg.
Looking at her in the photo she not to high apart from the funnels and the mast which can be made light. On her the high I would worry about is to the base of her mast as there is not much above that . With a draft of 6.6cms I would say she is going to be a bit tender. If you were to increase this by say 1.4 cms so she 8 cms draft this would help . There is no real way around the height of the superstructure and the effect wind has on it. Say all that My ferry Celestine is quite stable and she get hit by the wind.

John 

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2010, 10:27:05 pm »

HI all
I Was up in Finland last week . Went on some ferry up there. Talk about a different world . The silja line ferry was like a cruise ship. There are some nice colorful ships up there.Best thing on the trip was the ice and lot of it. Silja symphony had to use her high power spot lights to find her way in the ice a night.

JOhn
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.