Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [78]   Go Down

Author Topic: In the News !!!  (Read 687224 times)

raflaunches

• Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: In the News !!!
« Reply #1925 on: Yesterday at 11:15:46 pm »

Strangely enough I was taught metric at school only but my job on aircraft required both! Rolls Royce engines are still imperial (3/8, 5/16) but the aircraft I currently work on is purely imperial as itís American. My classic car is all imperial AF so mainly work in imperial despite never really being taught it. I must admit I can only visualise my height and weight in imperial as well as roughly guessing how far a mile is in a car.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1926 on: Today at 06:59:17 am »

Funny thing though, BA fasteners are metric.

Jerry C.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #1927 on: Today at 09:30:01 am »

Having been in electronics sincethe thermionic valve, I have happily worked in both.
Even Radio Luxembourg was on 208 metres,
and the Light Programme on 1500 metres😁
The one thingI cannot get my head round to this
day, is wind speed in metres/second.
Give me 20 knots of wind over the deck and I
know what's what.
Ned.
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1928 on: Today at 09:45:51 am »

When playing skip at the bowls club I find I give the bowler info on how short or long he was in all sorts. :-  four inches short , arferyard through, metre and a bit down , 600mm more, halfway,  Makes no difference they are all deaf to what I say.
The early bird catches the worm.
But it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1929 on: Today at 09:57:31 am »

Aha!  now you are getting onto fractions.  I do all my mental arithmetic in fractions it really is so much easier. 
I find many people do not understand percentages.
regards
Roy

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1930 on: Today at 12:54:04 pm »

The French still use the word livre, a pound, to signify a half-kilo, and they measure bicycle frames in pouces, thumbs or inches.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1931 on: Today at 01:20:44 pm »

Horses are measured in Hands and sold in Guineas.Rule Brittania.
Bintur Ellenbach

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1932 on: Today at 02:28:03 pm »

I think the idea of the UK using the Metric System was first discussed in Parliament way back in 1818.  But it took joining the EEC in 1973 before any action was taken, even then pragmatism held sway with a mixed system of measurements.  Now, we can safely use either. Being initially educated in the Imperial system and then having to use use the Metric one professionally, I can happily switch between both.

The Imperial system is often stated to be "illogical" but it's units can be based on quantities that are easy to comprehend.  Yes, the inch is the "width of a thumb", the foot the "length of a foot", a yard the distance between "nose and the end of an outstretched arm" (remember how lengths of material used to be measured?).  The mile goes back to the Roman Empire as a measure equal to 1000 strides. The fathom being 6 feet long was around the height of a man.  OK, some are less easy to relate to, I never got along with rods, poles and chains![size=78%] [/size]

It's when you combine these units that you often see the value of the Imperial system.  Take Stress as an example,  I can visualize a value of 80 tons per square inch but the Metric equivalent of 1.3 G Newtons isn't so easy to relate to.  This has often been the cause of problems as mistakes don't always "jump out at you" when dealing with very large or small powers of ten.

So, when building my models (or doing other jobs) I'll happily work with inches/feet or millimetres/centimetres, it's usually the materials I'm working with that dictate the units used.  But, when discussing or explaining things I try to use both systems, if only to avoid upsetting those wedded to one and only one system of measurement.
Glynn Guest   

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #1933 on: Today at 02:40:44 pm »

Horses for course. I use both.
I was serving in Cyprus in 1975 when the RAF went metric. My local staff had no comprehension of metric. I had a long discussion with my barrack warden on the difference between 1.7 and 1.70. I know they are the same, but I couldn't convince him. In the end he used a double sided tape measure. Measured in imperial, turned it over and recorded the metric. Simples  :-))
Don't Assume Check

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1934 on: Today at 02:55:41 pm »

Yep - it's like me saying to my self, that boat I want to build is 1.8m long, so not that long then realising that it is just 30mm short of 6 foot, cr*p how would I fit that in a small car (just been looking at a mazda 2 as a replacement)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [78]   Go Up