Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS campbeltown build 1/96  (Read 44055 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: HMS campbeltown build 1/96
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2021, 09:05:58 pm »

Lovely job.  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2021, 08:53:57 pm »

Bit more done over the weekend. Most of the superstructure had a complete re paint, including the Main mast. The Matt black was my first attempt with a airbrush, personally I don't think it's come out too badly.

I've also tidied up the "ladder" at the front of the superstructure. In previous photos you can see how wonkey it was originally, it always caught my eye for all the wrong reasons. It's still not perfect but noticeably better.

Finally managed to make something that resembles the motor launch davits.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2021, 10:40:28 pm »

Your work with the airbrush did come out well  :-))  Good coverage.
Pond weed is your enemy

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2021, 07:46:15 am »

HI Dan well done on makeing them boat davits as they are very awkward to make an yes your ladder rungs look ok as i had the same problem on my cambeltown where the rungs went off at an angle what i should have done is just lightly with a pencil drew two dead upright lines an then drill the holes but i like you soon altered them so they ended up right an are you not gonna fit in glass in your bridge windows  as its set the model off  :-))  an fit bridge light an nav lights ?
chris

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2021, 08:05:49 pm »

Your work with the airbrush did come out well  :-))  Good coverage.

Thanks very much!

HI Dan well done on makeing them boat davits as they are very awkward to make an yes your ladder rungs look ok as i had the same problem on my cambeltown where the rungs went off at an angle what i should have done is just lightly with a pencil drew two dead upright lines an then drill the holes but i like you soon altered them so they ended up right an are you not gonna fit in glass in your bridge windows  as its set the model off  :-))  an fit bridge light an nav lights ?
chris

Thanks Chris! There are LEDs fitted for the navigation lights, along with LEDs in the bridge, but I'm undecided whether or not to connect them up or not as I've only fitted a few LEDs across the ship and it might look odd with just a couple. I'll have a think over the next few weeks

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2021, 09:24:35 pm »

will not look odd at all, just a few ligths and red light for the bridsge, dont bother with white as personally its not that realistic, nice subdued lighting would set it off a treat.

Bob
I will finish this model

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2021, 09:41:14 pm »

Maybe of interest (or not)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FLRhagCTy0

Regards
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2021, 10:20:25 pm »

Maybe of interest (or not)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FLRhagCTy0

Regards
C-3PO

HI  C-3PO THAT my old campbetown i built an a bloke bought it off me an put it on utube but she still looks nice as dan this ship was on the modelwarshipuk header picture if you remeber back in 2008 time

chris

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2021, 07:45:56 am »

If I remember rightly I think I only have 8-10 working LEDs on the ship, including a red LED inside the bridge. I did originally plan on having plenty of LEDs around it, but as I was building it, it got tricky being such a small scale. If I do another, it'll be 1:72 scale, like Chris's old one in that youtube video (which I have watched plenty of times for inspiration and tips but thanks for sharing it, it is a helpful video for anyone building a type 22)  :-))

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2021, 10:24:05 am »

HI Dan if you do build a 1/72 model then my advice is make it in two  bits like i did as the hull lenght in 1/72 is nr 7 ft long an in two 3 an a half ft sections is managable but 7ft in one bit no way
chris  %)

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2021, 04:50:40 am »

Unless you build your own trailer.   This one takes 12' Queen Mary 2 plus QE2 and USS Missouri at 1/100

A Task Force 72 member I know has a second hand ambulance to carry his Aircraft carrier

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2021, 08:36:16 am »

will not look odd at all, just a few ligths and red light for the bridsge, dont bother with white as personally its not that realistic, nice subdued lighting would set it off a treat.

Bob

HI Bob   SORRY personally i dont aggree with you on white lights as all ships must have them i would have thought an ive made mine bright as i want them to be seen in daylight
chris

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2021, 05:18:36 pm »

I don't think my partner wouldn't let me build anything that warrants a trailer to transport it  {-)  I think 7ft would be my absolute limit on any model, mainly due to the weight of the thing. They can't be light? And my nearest lake has a good 5 minuet walk to it, so carrying anything to it is usually a pain!

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2021, 09:13:10 pm »

HI Bob   SORRY personally i dont aggree with you on white lights as all ships must have them i would have thought an ive made mine bright as i want them to be seen in daylight
chris
Chris yes all ships have them but what I am saying is they do not stand out in the daylight, so thats why i do not use them looks totally unrealistic, same as red night lights subdued lighting is what I am trying to create as per 1/1
Bob
BTW were did you get the info on anti collission lights as I cant find anything in the manuals, be interested to know
I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2021, 09:13:45 am »

I don't think my partner wouldn't let me build anything that warrants a trailer to transport it  {-)  I think 7ft would be my absolute limit on any model, mainly due to the weight of the thing. They can't be light? And my nearest lake has a good 5 minuet walk to it, so carrying anything to it is usually a pain!

HI DAN this is totally up to you  but if you did a hull jiont like i do where the model spilts in two an you build a carry craydle with handles like  i have done  then its a lot easyier to move the ship around as you can carry the model like a couple of suitcases  but thats my take on it
chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2021, 10:00:49 am »

Chris yes all ships have them but what I am saying is they do not stand out in the daylight, so thats why i do not use them looks totally unrealistic, same as red night lights subdued lighting is what I am trying to create as per 1/1
Bob
BTW were did you get the info on anti collission lights as I cant find anything in the manuals, be interested to know

OK Bob well we will have to just aggree to diagree lol on the lights an anti collishion lights are shown on my plans  an i have a  pic of a real type  22 in dock with her red anti collission lights on at the mast top nr the main radar  but i cant show it as its copyright from the R/N NEWS paper but if you want i can email it to you just say an the ship is all lit up as she is on show like my tiger will be an if im goona send her in harms way then its a simple matter of switching the lights off
ATB
chris

hope you both as well as can be an hope you have a nice christmas   an SORRY dan for takeing over your thread an let you get back to your build
chris an hope you have a nice xmas also

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2021, 11:01:08 am »

I think we all understand any image of a Warship taken in dock can represent something that will never happen or occur at sea :P ...and visa versa

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2021, 09:35:16 pm »

HI DAN this is totally up to you  but if you did a hull jiont like i do where the model spilts in two an you build a carry craydle with handles like  i have done  then its a lot easyier to move the ship around as you can carry the model like a couple of suitcases  but thats my take on it
chris

I would definitely consider it Chris! So much easier carrying two lighter parts that one heavy one! And no worries about taking over thread! Makes for a interesting read. I probably won't get chance to do much over Christmas, but I hope everyone has a good one  :-))

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2022, 09:04:24 pm »

Evening all,

Over the past few days I've been respraying the hull, after years of neglect it had began to look tired and warn. I'm at a stage where I can start adding the deck markings, pennant number, depth markings etc.. I've found the pennant numbers and depth markings, but I'm struggling to find anything I can use for the yellow deck warning circles around the guns, launchers, and the heli deck markings. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't think I'll make a neat job of paining it by hand. Especially the circles.

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2022, 09:26:32 pm »

What diameter do you need them Dan?  You can buy semi circle yellow stripes for putting on motorbike wheels, they come in curved sections, these may do the job.

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2022, 09:59:47 pm »

Ah I probably should have checked this before I packed up for the night. At a guess the smaller ones will be around 40mm diameter and the bigger one 70-80mm and maybe and 2-3mm wide. I'm sure they do these decals for 1:72 scale but can't seem to find them for 1:96. I will see if I can alter these motorbike ones, thanks for the suggestion

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2022, 06:47:32 am »

Evening all,

Over the past few days I've been respraying the hull, after years of neglect it had began to look tired and warn. I'm at a stage where I can start adding the deck markings, pennant number, depth markings etc.. I've found the pennant numbers and depth markings, but I'm struggling to find anything I can use for the yellow deck warning circles around the guns, launchers, and the heli deck markings. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't think I'll make a neat job of paining it by hand. Especially the circles.

HI Dan a company called BECC  do all deck markings in all different sizes as i use them an an when you buy the sheet they are sticky back so you can fit them an if not right then lift them off an refit till they are right just put BECC decals in your search box an they should come up as they make hundreds of differnt signs an marking an flags as HOBBIES stock them  also thats where i bought mine
an they are in yellow an black colours if you cant find them tell me an i'll look for them for you ok
chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2022, 07:51:23 am »

Dan,

Look at BECC from Cornwall Models , you will need to look through all the items

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?SO=1_3_4_0&TB=O&SS=Becc&PR=-1&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SS=Becc&SS=Becc&SS=Becc&SS=Becc&SS=Becc&SS=Becc&SS=Becc&SS=Becc&PN=0 :}

HI Dave sorry yes you are right on the companys name yes it is BECC  i made a new years mistake first one honest lol an will we see any thing more on the burke ?
chris

Dan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2022, 11:15:54 am »

Thanks both! I got them.. wasn't prepared for the 112 pages to search through. Found them on the 110th page  {-) 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.