Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Sir Lancelot the Building from Jan09  (Read 101015 times)

wallace

Re: Sir Lancelot the Building from Jan09
« Reply #275 on: December 18, 2010, 01:17:43 pm »

Here are a few more photos of the bit that are all done its the chain link from bridge to the rudder

wallace

« Reply #276 on: December 18, 2010, 01:26:44 pm »

The last photos this year and in a few weeks time will be into my 3rd year with building the Sir Lancelot not to worry why rush a job.
I have been looking at the hull over the past few weeks and have decided to re-paint not happy with it to many little bits on the ships side so I will remove very carefully the brass portholes and  sand down with a very high wet/dry paper and I will also when I re-paint the black line will be redone this time in black satin,got to fine a good soft brush to hand paint the hull.
See you all in 2011.    wallace  :-)) :-))

wallace

« Reply #277 on: January 15, 2011, 12:56:32 pm »

Well here we go again into another year with many days of building and sailing ,the photos that are just posted are about the main mast yard-arm.I covered the ship with bubble wrap down to the water line as I was not happy with the width of the line plus I'm changing the gloss black to matt black so after taping all around then taping the wrap all over the ship I re-done the red lead and cover the gloss black after giving it a fine rub down.I re moved the wrap carefully as I can and everything looked OK  was doing something on the main deck and the yard arm  did not look right had a close look and one side was down I just touch it and it came away in my hand OH I said
once again white metal lets me down so I have started to re make the yard arm this time out of wood and the blocks are being re-place by brass blocks which look great 9mm x 5mm the other photos are showing my up and down taping for the water line  and others on the main deck hoping to get it into the lake this spring.  :-))

wallace

« Reply #278 on: January 15, 2011, 12:59:51 pm »

Just about the re-painting

wallace

« Reply #279 on: January 17, 2011, 06:55:11 pm »

My apologies to all about the last lot of photos a few were a bit out of focus.
So I have put some new ones on here about my yardarm with the metal blocks I'm using.

wallace

« Reply #280 on: January 17, 2011, 07:03:07 pm »

Here's what I have been doing today for a few hours,I have been setting up the port and s/board Oropesa floats ready to fix when I am happy,I may re-paint the floats,so at the moment they are sitting on blue tack good ah.
And a photo of the rear its looking good. :-)) :-)) :-)) {-)

wbeedie

« Reply #281 on: January 17, 2011, 08:14:53 pm »

This looks a good un,what like is it to build for a kit as I intend to get it once finances dictate it but will be adding a few subtle changes here and there to do a wee interpritation of an Island class and renamed Suma as my grandfather served as CPO on it and won his MM and other medals as a member of Harry Tates pirates

wallace

« Reply #282 on: January 18, 2011, 09:56:56 am »

This is a reply to Wheedie ,if you have been following my build you will know now its into the 3rd year of building could have finished it a lot sooner but for my health.
I have really enjoyed building it and like everyone you put your own designs on it,alot of the build I have re-done as I was not happy the worst bit about the build was the hull but I have done my best to make it the best,some bits are very testing but like all building if it doesnt look right or you cant work it out walk away and come back to it the following day.White metal bits are 40% good but like all white metal not very strong.
If you want more info please PM me  as I dont want to get away from the build and go into chit chat.   wallace  :-))

wallace

« Reply #283 on: January 19, 2011, 04:30:48 pm »

These photos are about the re-painting of the black line I re-done painting it Matt Black
Just a few touch up on the grey needed alot better than the first one.

wallace

« Reply #284 on: January 20, 2011, 10:02:39 am »

Yesterday I at long last fixed the strering chain tubes both sides and also the chequuar plate platforms both sides I have fixed them so they dont move when the superstructure is taken off,
Also I have put into position the Oropesa float cranes and as a safe measure I have pinned both so if they get touch down at the lake by little hands they wont fall over pictures show how I done it  hope they look ok to one and all.My black line had three coats of matt black and has dry well so happy with the build ,and Im going to put Lancelot into my fish pond to weigh it down to the water line  my pond is so clear and clean and not like the boating lake plus I can take my time,its getting a bit hevy now to take up stairs to the bath. Hope you like the photos

wallace

« Reply #285 on: January 20, 2011, 10:04:48 am »

Just a few more

wallace

« Reply #286 on: January 21, 2011, 04:32:46 pm »

Spent only one hour this afternoon on the boat and fitted the two Oropesa floats and once again the white metal let me down as one of the brackets broke but manage to get it all fixed with a little help from super glue.The weather changed so fast and its got cold again. :-)) :-))

wallace

« Reply #287 on: January 28, 2011, 04:45:10 pm »

Just got the name plate done and these photos show me planing the centre of the stand
also a photo of the brass blocks on the yardarm on the main mast

wallace

« Reply #288 on: January 28, 2011, 07:01:16 pm »

Just a few more about the name plate setting up plinth with name plate and also the top yardarm with the brass blocks
and the supporting wire which is brass rod. :-))

wallace

« Reply #289 on: February 02, 2011, 06:40:00 pm »

Heres a few more of the buold these are once again about the main mast yard-arm they show that the brass blocks are now fixed onto
the yard arm and the stays that support it is getting ready will fix it all together when I fix the yard arm to the main mast.

wallace

« Reply #290 on: February 03, 2011, 04:38:11 pm »

Well at long last I have done the yard-arm its all fixed to the main mast and all the blocks are fixed  in place by very thin wire
holes were drill through the yard-arm to take the wire a tiny bit of super glue added and after all was set I cut the wire as close to the yardarm as I could the rest were filed flat all repainted and the stays are out of brass wire for support that is also painted black and spotted with a little glue  sorry the picture is not to clear but will re-take on another day.I also fixed the deck plates for the main mast stays and the two side stays.

Paul Godfrey

« Reply #291 on: February 03, 2011, 07:13:41 pm »

Hi Wallace,

She's looking great - must be getting near to her maiden voyage  :-))

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes,
Paul

wallace

« Reply #292 on: February 04, 2011, 09:59:20 am »

Thanks Paul yes I'm getting there the only touble is everything that i'm fixing on that I have made before I dont like and i'm re-doing getting abit fussie but yes I'm so happy the way she is coming along I keep saying I must start to weigh it down so when the good weather comes along I'm going to put the lead in and do it in my fish pond also I have to move the on and off switch's to the stern and box them in as not to keep taking the superstruct of and also work out how to best do the charging of the 12v battery keeping it in the boat.Had some good tips but I'm no good at it.
Glad that you like the build and many thanks for all your kind replies over the months of building.
                       wallace  :-)) :-)) :-))

wallace

« Reply #293 on: February 05, 2011, 04:47:00 pm »

Heres some more of the build the main deck is nearly all done and the support wires to the main mast are not fixed as yet  I have now taken them off and given them two coats of red lead priimer and I will leave them for 48 hrs to harden then paint black.
I put one of the fittings on the main deck in the wrong place yesterday by the time I found out the glue had gone off but I did get it off just broke the bottom abit but alls well and all mended  wow

wallace

« Reply #294 on: February 05, 2011, 04:51:21 pm »

more of the build I just get carried away so pleased the way the ship is coming to life

wallace

« Reply #295 on: February 06, 2011, 02:56:18 pm »

Heres what I have done today I added the support pillars between the lower and upper bridge.

dan

« Reply #296 on: February 06, 2011, 06:44:15 pm »

nice looking boat wallace  :-)) fair play, your hard work is paying off!

wallace

« Reply #297 on: February 12, 2011, 06:59:15 pm »

Todays photos are about the rigging the end bits early photos show you how I started making the rigging  so today I had a few good hours and got one side done hope you like the top off the rigging went through small brass shackles which went through a small brass ring the top was whipped with cord and glue into place and all end bits cut of with a hot blade.

wallace

« Reply #298 on: February 12, 2011, 07:06:36 pm »

some more of the rigging and bits

wallace

« Reply #299 on: February 14, 2011, 04:53:32 pm »

Just getting on with the small bits thats always take hours to do,so today I finish doing the rigging so both sides are done I'm pleased with the way its turned out.
and the other photos are of the fittings I had to make to put onto the mast which I done with two brass rings and super glued in place will have to re paint but never mine. :-)) :-)) O0
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 19 queries.