Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 13309 times)

JohnneyBoy

• Full Mayhemer
    • John's Library
Windows 7
« on: January 12, 2009, 02:07:34 pm »

Hello,

Well, just got Windows 7 64bit beta running today... very impressed. Seems quiker than Vista, a few other changes than Vista.
Also decided to use IE8, well just play with it.. seems reasonable, However I will see continue with Firefox, which I have also loaded, and is working fine so far.

Anyone else tried these guys out yet?

John

Garabaldy

Re: Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 03:13:27 pm »

i use 64bit windows xp at work.  We had a mountain of problems getting 64bit compatible drivers for our printers.  We couldnt print for months.  In the end i think our IT department actually made the driver themselves.  But dont quote me on that.  Have you had issues similar to this?

catengineman

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 03:26:14 pm »

Windows 7  <*< >>:-( <*<

I've only just got this Vista system and only just started to find my way round that

R,

JohnneyBoy

• Full Mayhemer
    • John's Library
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 04:02:18 pm »

Hello,

Printer: No problems, it is a network printer, i.e. connected to another machine, but it works fine, HP 1220C so quite old, no drivers from HP.. jus the Windows inbuilt ones.

To be honest Windows 7 feels much the same as Vista, a few changes to the look and feel. Speed is about the same as my Vista machine, but my Vista machine as a Beta of SP2 on it, and this made quite a difference to Vista's speed!

John

The long Build

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 06:28:51 pm »

I thought Vista was going to be used for all future updates ? , Also what is the point of installing the Windows 7 with it expiring in August 2009 and then you have to reload your original package.?  or am I missing something.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 06:43:50 pm »

Vista has not proved a marketing success and will be replaced sometime soon with Windows 7  which is only in Beta release at the moment. If you are already using Vista or XP it's not worth upgrading to Windows 7 beta unless you like playing with computers and sorting out any problems which can be associated with a beta realease such as a lack of device drivers.

Colin

The long Build

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 07:19:25 pm »

Well I hope that they give a good discount to anybody that bought Vista.  >>:-( but unlikely .

JohnneyBoy

• Full Mayhemer
    • John's Library
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 10:04:22 pm »

I thought Vista was going to be used for all future updates ? , Also what is the point of installing the Windows 7 with it expiring in August 2009 and then you have to reload your original package.?  or am I missing something.

I'm carrying various testing on a spare machine I have. I happen to be a software developer.. well and a bit more ok2  But I'm not allowed to say.. or else I would have to  <*<

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 08:23:07 am »

You'd have to  <*<? OH, I see, you'd have to  <*< your Vista PC. I've thought that too..... ok2

7 is on the spare machine upstairs and seems to be running fine, according to pc-guru-engineer son. I'll abandon XP only when I'm forced to by software and hardware requirements.

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

JohnneyBoy

• Full Mayhemer
    • John's Library
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 03:46:22 pm »

You'd have to  <*<? OH, I see, you'd have to  <*< your Vista PC. I've thought that too..... ok2

7 is on the spare machine upstairs and seems to be running fine, according to pc-guru-engineer son. I'll abandon XP only when I'm forced to by software and hardware requirements.

Andy

So you should be able to stay on XP into the next millennium, going on Microsoft's continuing extension of release of XP licenses, and thus support..

The long Build

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 06:01:25 pm »

How did the final testing of this work out , are you or anyone thinking of upgrading to Windows 7.

I see MS will be withdrawing support for XP in 2014, and I was thinking that an upgrade to 7 to go in line with the office 2007 upgrade I'm doing would compliment each other.. or not..  any thoughts

And what are the real benifits of Windows 7 against XP ?

Larry

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 06:43:11 pm »

i HAVE WINDOWS 7 RUNNING ON A 1.7GHZ PENT 4 AND IT WORKS!!!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 07:14:06 pm »

And what are the real benefits of Windows 7 against XP ?

Microsoft have tried for about 4 years to drop XP but too many major corporates wouldn't by into Vista.
Additionally Vista was plagued with more than the usual teething problems and was seen by many IT depts. as a step backwards.
Most new machines are now coming with free Windows 7 upgrade voucher, might be worth check if yours does.
Vista will be dropped MS as fast it can possibly can.
A few tech heads at work are running and seem very pleased with it.

Interesting discussion here:
http://news.zdnet.com/2422-13568_22-345909.html
http://news.zdnet.com/2422-13568_22-347511.html

Microsoft's upgrade advisor:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 07:26:58 pm »

I've tried the release candidate and quite like it. As I am about to replace my desktop. I'm waiting for October 22nd - don't wish to get involved with Vista thankyou %%

Barrie

madrob

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 07:31:07 pm »

I still cant get half my old xp stuff to work with vista  <*<

The long Build

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 07:40:22 pm »

Very nearly went for Vista but then the .. hit the fan , Dell seemed to drop it for a bit which to me was the decider not to get it, I run Vista at work and admittedly have no problems , we had initial problems with the printer but other than that.  I'm seriously looking at W7 but don't think I will get it from day 1.

snowwolflair

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 08:23:51 pm »

Microsoft goes on a cyclical move on then fix.

3.0 was a move on and 3.11 fixed it
NT was a move on and XP fixed it
Vista was a move on and 7 should fix it.

My conclusion is that you buy every second Microsoft OS

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 08:57:51 pm »

My conclusion is that you buy every second Microsoft OS

Good Idea! I tended to wait until I absolutely had to upgrade O/S. I was on DOS when others were on W3.1 - 3.1 when others were on 95 - 98SE well after XP had appeared and I never needed to go anywhere near Vista. Have tried the Beta W7 on PC guru son's system and it seems to be better than Vista ever was.

Agree with Martin, reckon Vista will disappear as soon as W7 is out - unlike XP, which has, despite its foibles, been a great O/S, IMHO.

But, I'll still be sticking with XP until I have to move on, and then I'd probably marry it with a new system that can exploit it.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

The long Build

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 09:11:06 pm »

Ok MS  W7 is out on the 22/10 I have just read that there is a Windows 8 being developed or something !! <*<

chingdevil

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 09:40:08 pm »

I am just having a PC built which will come with Vista, but it comes with an upgrade voucher to Windows 7. I have used Vista and do not think it is too bad, but I am reliably informed that windows 7 will be the dogs.

Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 12:22:10 am »

"dogs.".... dinner?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andygh

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 02:12:47 am »

Vista has been the most stable Windows I've ever used (95 onwards)
IE8 is dreadful, tried it twice and gone back to IE7. much better

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 04:36:51 am »

For those contemplating moving to Win7, make sure before you do install it over Vista (or from scratch), that all the drivers are available for your hardware bits and bobs.
So if you have an HP/Compaq, Dell, or something like that, make sure you can download all the stuff from HP or Dell or whoever first. And don't forget your printer drivers either!

I have had Win7 on a Lenovo laptop since it became available through out VLA and I like it lots, but not all the Vista drivers work for some of the hardware. Now, for example, I have to trust Windows to manage the network connections when I change locations rather than use the Lenovo Access Connections tool... Yuck!

Just an FYI and YMMV too, no doubt.
Alister

gturfrey

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 04:46:46 pm »

Never ever under any circumstance do an upgrade from vista to 7, i guarantee you will be wasting your time and your PC will take a major performance hit. Its a well documented fact that upgrades leave way too much legacy code behind which slows down your PC. Clean install all the way. If it works in Vista it will work in 7, if it doesnt work just disable digital driver signing and then it will work.

Gavin

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 04:59:17 pm »

Clean install all the way.

Gavin's right - a clean install is always worth it.

(Just back your files up before you do it!)

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.