Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75  (Read 105572 times)

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
Re: Diving supportvessel Well Enhancer 1:75
« Reply #175 on: December 14, 2010, 05:45:28 pm »

Hello Phil,

Thanks for the kind words.

If you look back 1 or 2 pages you will find some sailing pics, but unfortunatly I don't have any pics of her sailing while looking this good.
The next time sailing will be when the weather has changed to the better and the wheelhouse can be fixed properly atop of the superstructure.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #176 on: December 21, 2010, 03:56:01 pm »

Finally I continueed the work on the Well Enhancer:

Started fixing the crane-arm.

The entire arm.

It was pretty much time to continu the work on the wheelhouse.
Made a new deck from Evergreen.

Glued some support underneath the deck.

First new panels for the wheelhouse.
The old panels were not good enough for using on the new wheelhouse, so I have thrown them in the trashbin.

Dryfit.

More panels.

Second part of the superstructure which I worked on today.
I don't yet know where i'm going to attach this to.

Tweety has inspected the bowthruster.

Continued the work on the bulwark.

Geetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #177 on: December 24, 2010, 10:03:05 am »

Update:

I've been working some more on the bulwark.

When the glue has dried the filling and sanding can start.

Only the rear most piece still needs to be fitted, but as the deck there is removeable and is blocking the way for the bulwark and that that deck still needs to be narrowed (which will be done after the electronics have been completed, I've made it wider for easier exces) and then the last part will be easily fitted.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #178 on: December 24, 2010, 02:35:44 pm »

Update:

The first casing has been build and placed in the new wheelhouse.
Both the size and shape differ from the casings in the old wheelhouse because I then hadn't build the outer walls on them as I thought it might had been better to do that later.
I changed my thought about that, as it's much easier to build everything on something that has been completed, and it saves room for electrics.

In order to make it easier for myself to reach a high level of detailing (which is what I want with this model) I started working on the interior of the wheelhouse, so I can easily access all the parts of the interior.
Next step will be painting the floor, so I can place all the furnuture and instrument panels.

On this desk all the systems involved in the GMDSS system are situated.
Some of these systems have lighted instruments, so I put some SMD LED's inside the desk.
The brightness of the LED's will be lowered in some way, maybe using a resistance, maybe by having it shine through a layer of plastic.

Started building the 2 drawers underneath the desk.

This is as far as I am now.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: December 31, 2010, 07:04:32 am »

Update:

Ik heb wat meer spanten op de verschansing geplaatst, daar wordt het toch wel een stuk steviger van.

2de casing gebouwd, en daarna ook maar gelijk het dak van de brug erop gezet.
Er zal nog wel redelijk wat verstijving aangebracht moeten worden om de mast te kunnen dragen, en het helidek zal hier ook nog wat krachten op gaan zetten.

Some technicians working on some currently invisible furnuture and electronics (it seemed to be to much work to actually build those, but technicians who are doing nothing at all will get kicked of the bridge very hard (hopefully for them of the stairs rather then just being kicked over the deck as that fall is much higher ok2) so I had to think the furnuture and panel in the photo ok2)

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: January 01, 2011, 08:43:23 pm »

Update:

Painted the bridgedeck black to stop light from coming through.

The left version was made about a year ago, but it doesn't look all to good.
I thought that building would be best, and so I did.
By putting the lot together in 1 time I made it harder to get parts that much out of position as it did on the first version.

Making the coffee-machine.
The outer dimensions of this machine are 5mm long and 3mm wide, so it was really very hard to get everything properly in position.
I think some filler and sandpaper will help fixing that problem.

Preview of what it will look like when in position on the bridge.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #181 on: January 02, 2011, 11:24:42 am »

Update:

Made the plates that will keep the coffee hot.
I made the plates by hammering a metal tube into a sheet of plastic, making a very nice round plate.

The head of this RPG will be used as a part of the coffeemachine for holding the stuff in which the water is mixed with the beans (what is it called in English?).

Cut the end of the RPG off and glued it on the coffeemachine.

This is what it will look like in the wheelhouse.

Seen from above.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: January 02, 2011, 03:07:49 pm »

Update:

The captain was complaining about the temperature in the wheelhouse, so I decided to start working on the airco-units.
These are the first parts for airco-unit 1 out of 3 for on the wheelhouse.

Glued the first parts together.

Made some cuts in the front panel to fake the exhausts for the air.

The first parts of the front instrumentpanel.

This is the first control panel for steering the ship.

Now all I need to do is install the lights and PE the panels, then painting it and applying the transfers and then this unit is finished.

First radar under construction.

Preview of what it will look like.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: January 02, 2011, 07:20:31 pm »

Update:

Another desk under construction.

Even though this ship can be kept in position extremely accurate by electronics (for example using satelite navigation) there still is a chart table in the wheelhouse.

Furnuture in position for a preview.
The wooden construction is standing around the stairs.
I don't yet know how i'm going to build the stairs or if i'll paint them.

Last photo for today.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: January 14, 2011, 11:02:42 am »

Update:

Bridge interior.

Glued the main winch to it's servo using epoxyglue.
Unfortunatly that doesn't seem to have worked out that well.

The new winch which is to pull the spring in to move the crane-arm down.

Placed the main winch inside the crane-arm.

Attached the wires to keep them out of the way for the hoisting cable.

Build the secondairy winch.

Unfortunatly the 2 winches don't fit besides each other.
That means the secundairy winch will have it's cable run backwards first before bending upwards to it's drum which is standing atop the crane-arm.

Also made an overall view.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2011, 03:23:35 pm »

Update:

I didn't know what base component my different brands of spray cans had, and apparently the base compenents of these 2 brands don't match.
Another couple of hours of work ruined.....
I will build a new bridge deck with a brass frame underneath it so it will be able to hold the weight of the mast and the helodeck.

Primered some furnuture.
Now I also understand why everyone puts his parts on bars, these pieces fled away from the wind full of paint.....

That was the last picture.

Greetings Josse

kiwi

« Reply #186 on: January 29, 2011, 05:20:32 pm »

Your doing very well Josse.
I think we have all had the non-compatible paint bit at one time or another. I now always keep to one brand paint per model.
Will look very nice when she gets on the water all finished
cheers
kiwi

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2011, 07:11:02 pm »

Finally an update again:

Placed the upper plate of the front bulwark.
The plates extending above it will be trimmed to the correct height.

In order to be able to hold the somewhat heavy mast and funnels I stiffened the casings in the wheelhouse.

In order to prevent the bridgedeck from bending I also stiffened the bridgedeck.
I did this by glueing an additional layer of wooden planks underneath the layer which was there allready.
This method is based on what I learned when replacing a part of the bow which was build up of 2 layers of planks.
The parts of the bow that I removed were such stiff I would break them before I could bent them.

Placed the interior and some of the crew.

Another, just because I can..

Everything back together.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: March 09, 2011, 08:06:00 pm »

Update:

I checked all of my drawings and against my expectation I found a drawing which has the latest changes of the design that were made prior to commissioning of the real ship.
This drawing will help me building the new constructions on the rear deck (which is where most of the changes were made) to build her as she appeared just after commissioning.

Unfortunatly the general arrangement plan doesn't show the construction, but based on my education and internships I should be able to design a construction myself, so I started building it right away.

I designed some brackets to guide the forces into the pipe gradually to make it look realistic.
As this is part of the lessons of this period at school I think i'll show my teacher some pictures of the construction to ask if this indeed is a proper construction.

Dryfit of the pipe which has been cut into the proper size.
When the frames are all glued in place I will glue this in position, ending above the platform.
Unfortunatly this platform is placed right above the removeable deck which excess to the battery and other RC-equipment.
The 12V battery is positioned right below this platform.

Placed the second pilar and some more frames.

That's it for now.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2011, 01:24:24 pm »

Update:

Dryfit.
Because of the planks that were added to the sides the deck is now too wide, but I will solve this problem some time soon.

Add the derrick and then it's good to go.....

More frames.

Even more frames.

Maybe I like photographing.....
Oh wait, i'm a professional photographer for a reason.....

Placed a coin next to the construction to show how big (or small) it is.

Another dryfit.

I like it, now some paint and some weathering and this will be good to go.

Forgot a step, apply the last piece of edge in the round part.
Though the nails kept the plank in place properly it doesn't entirely hit the deck, as some of the frames turned out to be too long.
I'll deal with that later on, as only the best stuff will get a place aboard this model.

Another dryfit.
When the sun starts to shine more often I will probebly start painting this construction, though the brass parts will get a layer of metal-primer before I start painting the entire construction.

Last but not least an overall view.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: March 13, 2011, 11:38:53 am »

Update:

As I decided that I won't sail with Well Enhancer before the wheelhouse has all it's panels, being filled, sanded and painted, and it must be able to hold the mast firmly.

The lower row of panels is applied, but before the sailing can start I want to have the wheelhouse filled, sanded and painted properly.

Starts to look like a wheelhouse now.

Today I modified the bottom of the mast to make it fit at the centreline rather then off the centreline as it did before.

Overall view of last friday.

The rear funnel has a sort of ventilation shaft mounted at the rear, but I build that covering the entire breadth of the funnel.
Today I decided to trim it the right size.
When that is done I will apply plastic sheets to cover the wooden base like I did with the superstructure.

I started to demolish the lot with a hobby-knife.

Placed the first 3 plastic panels.

In order to prevent the bridgedeck from bending when the mast is standing on top of it I decided to build some reinforcement inside the superstructure.

That's it for now.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: March 13, 2011, 08:54:24 pm »

Update:

More supports for the wheelhouse.

Put the crew in position for a photoshoot.

"Rotterdam sited captain".

Or maybe the Panama Canal, the mountains are quite a bit too close for Rotterdam....

I still haven't seen anyone cleaning the decks.....

Apart from the cleaners the rest of the crew is working pretty hard.

Pulling the platform in place.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: March 22, 2011, 03:44:30 pm »

Update:

Today I opened my can of metalprimer to protect my brass against the weather and to make sure that the coloured paint won't fall of easily.

Painted the crane-house both on the inside and on the outside, as this can dry while in it's normal position.
I started the painting so I can start painting the new platform, but I just realise I didn't take any pictures of that.

As I just was painting I decided I could paint the mast as well, but I couldn't paint the entire mast as that will gice trouble in future soldering work.

Also painted the crane-arm a bit, though not so much that putting it down somewhere would leave paint on the floor.

Besides the painting i've also started filling the wheelhouse, so maybe i'll start sanding that tomorrow.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: March 23, 2011, 11:07:46 am »

Update:

Today I tried to sand the wheelhouse, but the somewhat weak plastic panels made that very hard to do.
Therefore I decided it was time reinforce the wheelhouse.
Here i'm turning a square bar into a U-bar which will be placed in 1 of the nasty corners of the wheelhouse.

The first frames in the wheelhouse.

I placed the first frames vertical, but later on I found out that horizontal frames will take less material, so from then on I changed to horizontal framing.

Here the U-bar is finished.

Right now the front half of the wheelhouse has got it's frames.
The rear half will have to wait till I got new supplies.
I also added to brass bars to the casings to stop the deck laying on top of it from falling forwards or backwards.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: March 31, 2011, 06:30:42 pm »

Update:

I made some adjustments on the searchlight to make it able to control elevation.
The + wire is now used to make the searchlight elevate, while the -wire is attached to the metal parts to remove it's wire, making it look far better now.

More reinforcements under the bridgedeck.

Bought some new supplies including a plastic flat bar of only 2mm wide and 0,5mm thick with which I will make the window supports which will hold the glass itself.
Placing these parts is pretty tough as these small parts easily get full of glue, making it hard te have them stick the wheelhouse rather then either my fingers or the tools that I use to put them in place.

Also bought some brass bars to finish the reinforcement of the wheelhouse.
While applying these bars I put some wait on the ends of the bridgedeck to make it flat again as it has bended upwards towards the ends.
The new bars and window supports will help to keep the bridgedeck in shape.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: April 05, 2011, 11:01:35 am »

Update:

After having sanded and filled the lower row of panels I started building the upper row of panels.

I thought that adding window supports would be pretty tough on the upper panels, so I started adding the window supports before placing the panel.

Added window supports on the first panel.

In order to stop light to shine through the panels I applied some silver paint at the inside to stop the light.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: April 05, 2011, 01:34:39 pm »

Update:

Because the panels at the sides of the wheelhouse don't have any windows I was able to build and place those without making it hard to place the other panels properly.

Put in the crew and interior to show what it will look like when the outside is finished.

As it takes a while for the paint to dry I started working on the panels that will come on the other side of the wheelhouse.
At this moment these panels have also been painted silver, but I forgot to make a picture of that.

As the paint still needs some 6 hours to dry I continued working on the rear funnel.

Starting to look like a funnel.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #197 on: April 05, 2011, 08:14:43 pm »

Update:

In order to dryfit the crane arm properly I started working on the boomrest.
I made an edge on the end of the tube to help the solder to connect 2 tubes properly.

This boomrest is a pretty complex 1 as it has 2 legs which are bended over 2 of the ships axis, which makes it very hard to determine the angle at which the 2 parts come together.
Fortunatly that leaves 2 legs that are bended over only 1 axis, of which the angle is perfectly shown in the drawings.
First step is to build the 2 legs that are bended over 1 axis, and apply the supports that will later on be connected to the remaining 2 legs, but first the first 2 legs need to be connected.

As paper burns more easy then plywood I decided to make the drawing on a piece of plywood so I can build this complex construction properly.

This is one of my better pieces of soldering.

Also added the lower part of the second leg.

Placed the panels which I made this morning.

Seeing the crew you'd get the impression that Well Enhancer is about to set sail, but unfortunatly she isn't.

The roof of the wheelhouse fits a lot better now too.

That's it for today.

Greetings Josse

boater12

« Reply #198 on: April 05, 2011, 10:15:32 pm »

She is looking really good Josse, with all the time and skill you are adding, will you be fitting a 'smoke' unit so that the funnel is realistic ?

Jim.

andyn

« Reply #199 on: April 05, 2011, 10:19:09 pm »

Derogatory comment removed.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.