Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mtroniks Viper marine Speed control & Bait Boats!  (Read 22930 times)

tight-lines

Mtroniks Viper marine Speed control & Bait Boats!
« on: May 25, 2009, 08:57:20 am »

hi guys,im new to the forum,but i have been looking at your site for ages,,so thaught id ask you a question,,,thanks

right i have 2 x viper marine 15,,,,,that i was going to controll 2 motors on a bait boat,,,im have spent alot  of money on this boat,and my goal is to build the best bar none,,,some aspects that should make it the best are my low drain electronize motors,that will only pull up to 4 amp stalled and the,8 x 4000 mah,,11.1 v lipos,,but after getting everything to gether i have tried one of my motors and the viper 15 esc make a realy bad whine at low revs,,,,now i know that this has been posted before,but i relay dont have the option of keeping the whine noise this load as it supose to be quiet for sneaking my rigs out,,,and when i have them both running it will be like a cat on a hot tin roof,,,,but! i do like the way they work,,,,but the sound realy is not a option,,,,,any help on what to do or what esc's to get ,,thanks for any help,,,,,and i love the site lads

stallspeed

Re: Mtroniks Viper marine Speed control & Bait Boats!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 09:40:03 am »

A rheostat or bobs board type condrol works on dc or you can convert your esc output to dc with a low pass filter between the esc and motor.to stop the the vibration.

A filter needs two two  4 amp inductors  per motor on the esc to motor leads and anyhing from  1 to 10 microfarad 63 volt in parallel stacked polyester capacitors across the motor terminals.
Some clever person or the Maplin counter staff will help you choose the right parts.

tight-lines

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 12:09:07 pm »

hi,thanks for the reply!,,,and will these things elimanate that whine noise completely,or just help a bit,,,you mention two ways of doing this should i do both? or which one is better,,,i dont supose you could post i link to some parts as i dont have a clue at this stage,,,,thanks for the help,,,any one else with any views on this? :-)

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 12:16:56 pm »

Welcome tightlines.

Right as I understand it you have two motors and two esc's. You want to run them quietly and as efficiently as possible. This is no problem. What you need to get is a P94 from ACtion Electronics. This is a little black box with two esc's and a mixer built into it. You can run your motors in any configuration you like and the mixer works beautifully and quietly. You will not be disappointed. Check it out here. I am just a very happy customer..

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/mixers.php

tight-lines

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 12:32:07 pm »

hi thanks,i did want tank steering thougth,your right about these thougth,,wish i had got one now,well i do a bit,,

im stuck with two new viper 15's now thougth,,,,i dont doubt the guy that posted about putting things in between the motor and esc,,but as i know nothing about this,,,cananyone tell me more ?,,or if this will cure it or help?,,and are there any down sides to his ideas,,,eg fire! or very high curent draw,,,etc,

stallspeed

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 12:40:54 pm »

A rheost control is a servo operated variable resistance between a battery and motor to regulate current and rpm.These were much more common in model boats when electronic circuits were expensive.They are a pain because the resistance range has to closely match the motor.You would get a 2 amp bobs board for example.They don't make a whine because they don't chop the motor current at audible frequency like the Viper esc.

If you scroll down to the fourth diagram in Paul Hills' site you can see what an inductive filter does.It smoothes out the motor current so that it.doesn't give off the distinctive whistle.

Does the boat have to creep up quietly behind the fish?

tight-lines

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 01:27:24 pm »

A rheost control is a servo operated variable resistance between a battery and motor to regulate current and rpm.These were much more common in model boats when electronic circuits were expensive.They are a pain because the resistance range has to closely match the motor.You would get a 2 amp bobs board for example.They don't make a whine because they don't chop the motor current at audible frequency like the Viper esc.

If you scroll down to the fourth diagram in Paul Hills' site you can see what an inductive filter does.It smoothes out the motor current so that it.doesn't give off the distinctive whistle.

sounds sad i know ! but yes,,quiet is good

tight-lines

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 01:35:57 pm »

hi so if i want to keep my esc's do i just need to get one of these filters?,,,ive looked and looked at the 4rt diagram and read it all but its,well,well over my head,,,,i could do with some one showing me what i need to buy for the filter set up,and if it will work well in making the viper 15's quiet

Stavros

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 01:49:11 pm »

personally I would just sell the mtronics vipers on ebay and get a P94 A much better set up and less hassle

Oh just to let you know there has been a lot of grief with the mtronics set up's catching fire the Action products do not

Dont believe me then read this thread THIS is what happens to them,last week I was seting up for a friend a trawler and you guessed ti a brand new Mtronics 20 amp burnt it's self out on the bench!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16385.0

Stav

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 03:08:29 pm »

Most modern ESCs work by pulsing the motor coils at a high frequency.  This is exactly what happens with a loudspeaker, with exactly the same result - an audible tone.  Some do it at a higher frequency than the human ear can respond to.  I have no idea what the fish can hear - they might respond to higher frequencies than humans, they might not.  The same "noisy ESC" when working a different motor, might well be quiet.  The same can apply to the same motor mounted differently - a totally rigid arrangement will ensure that any sound energy generated by the motor will be transmitted to the hull structure, which then acts as a sound box.
Bobs boards have other downsides - they dissipate heat at anything other than flat out, and they are mechanical, with moving parts that need careful adjustment and are subject to wear.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

craftysod

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 03:39:31 pm »

In one of my boats, i use a viper marine 15,never again because of the noise.
Another boat uses an action esc runs perfect and quiet
Another uses a cheap china esc runs perfect and quiet to (well the missus boat,cant hear it above her screaming  {-))
Mark

tight-lines

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 06:24:35 pm »

dont know what to do for the best now as im,unsure how to do the low pass and cant afford the p94 unit

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 11:51:48 pm »

For those of use who have these noisy viper 15s, does anyone know what motor/battery combinations they are quiet with?

tight-lines

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 06:55:08 am »

hi,ive tried it with mfa motors and some outher 400 motors,id be hard pushed to find a motor ,i think thats quiet looking at these 2,or hearing them

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 08:37:12 am »

Has anyone other than me noticed that there appears to be a couple of forum members who appear to be working on commission with a well known manufacturer and retailer also on this forum ? {:-{.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Proteus

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 08:54:29 am »

You would need a white stick and dog if you missed it.

Proteus

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 09:31:18 am »

Has anyone other than me noticed that there appears to be a couple of forum members who appear to be working on commission with a well known manufacturer and retailer also on this forum ? {:-{.

What action to you propse should be taken?  {-) O0 {-) O0 {-) O0 {-) %% O0 %% %% :police: :police: :police:
Don't Assume Check

Timo2

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 10:06:11 am »

Hi
       Umi  must be new MMB  smoking controller

Ps    and it,s HOT

Timo2

tight-lines

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 10:54:10 pm »

hi,thanks for the help guys!! :-)),,,,ive got my options down to 2 choices,,,action electroniks ,they were very helpfull,and knew there stuff,but said i might still get the noise,but there stuff is top quality,so many good reasons why i want there stuff,,,or electronize speed controlers,,i belive these are good too,would still get the noise but can change the freqency to try and get it a little better?,,,,
so its a case of wich one i take a gamble on?

andyn

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 11:06:52 pm »

action electronics,or electronize speed controlers, which one do i take a gamble on?

From my standing, only the electronize is the gamble...

Go 2.4ghz, no worries

tight-lines

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 11:13:08 pm »

hi mate dont supose you could just give me some ideas about why it might be a gamble,or why it might help to choose2.4ghz,,,as im gona be parting with what little money i have this week,,,thanks

andyn

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 11:35:16 pm »

2.4Ghz radio equipment accepts no interference, because the oscillating frequencys of everything in a boat is waaay lower than 2.4Ghz

Also, I have heard some not so satisfactory stories about electronize stuff.

The best ESC to get will be one of Dave's

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 12:31:15 am »

I have at least 6 Viper 15s in my various boats, and apart from a slight whine as the power is applied, they are extremely quiet in operation.

DickyD, as far as I can tell, some members are reporting problems with Viper ESCs, and others are saying they have found the ACTion gear to be good. I see no favouritism in that, merely calling it as they see it. The only commission the ACTion owners would get is the Forum member's discount Dave offers.

Peter.

tight-lines

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 09:32:39 am »

I have at least 6 Viper 15s in my various boats, and apart from a slight whine as the power is applied, they are extremely quiet in operation.

DickyD, as far as I can tell, some members are reporting problems with Viper ESCs, and others are saying they have found the ACTion gear to be good. I see no favouritism in that, merely calling it as they see it. The only commission the ACTion owners would get is the Forum member's discount Dave offers.

Peter.

discount,did i hear discount?--how long do you have to me a member for before you are allowed one?,,would come in handy that,,,

so am i right in thinking that 2.4 handset and reciver if used with my viper marine 15,would stop them making noise,

if so i bet there alot of money,,,i think im leaning towards actions stuff and its gona be either 2x esc or just get the p94 mixer,,i dont no why but i think that the mixer will be a bit more quiet,than there esc's,,,,bcos my old bait boat called a procat,had a mixer board and it was 100% silent,,,,,
please keep your views comming in ,bcos they are helping alot thanks

craftysod

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 04:15:43 pm »

I use 2.4 with viper and still get a whine,except at full throttle
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.