Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mr Fids freelance 'huntsman'  (Read 11582 times)

Mr_Fid

Mr Fids freelance 'huntsman'
« on: June 05, 2009, 07:55:35 pm »

That looks really nice, you have done a fantastic job.

I too am building a Fairey Huntsman, allthought i have to admit i think the plans got a bit messed up as it looks a little different to yours!
I have put a few pictures so you can compare.

See you soon!

andyn

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 08:11:12 pm »

Isn't that an OPS 90 in there?

I notice the servo horns on the winglets inbetween the forks, are they going to be servo driven? That would probably be a good idea when it gets windy, they do like to flip.

Mr_Fid

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 09:33:08 pm »

Hello
I have made the wings adjustable (front and rear) but not via servos.
i have in the past also found that at speed they can fly and that is why i have good sized wings on the front.

The pictures below are of the Winstone Eagle and that was very fast (CMB 90) however that used to really fly!

And water does damage at 70+ mph!

andyn

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 10:56:24 pm »

And water does damage at 70+ mph!

You're telling me that??

It is a OPS 90 in there isn't it

The long Build

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 10:58:53 pm »

Bit of super-glue should sort that out  :}

andyn

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 12:16:49 am »

Bit of super-glue should sort that out  :}

And this one?

Mr_Fid

Re: Mr Fids freelance 'huntsman'
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 07:26:08 am »

Hello
Yes it’s an OPS 90. I normally use CMB's so it’s a new one for me and as yet haven't managed to get it running! Hopefully my boat will be ready for next week.

I only posted my pictures as a wind up to Ramon, as we are patently waiting for the arrival of his boat down our club! And I promised him I would post my pictures to hurry him up!

Regards Martin

Ramon

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 10:07:10 am »

Nice try Martin! and well spotted Tiger Tiger.

Looking forward to that secret testing, I'm as anxious as you probably are having seen the pic of the Eagle but roll on Wednesday.

The boat looks really good  :-)) :-)) - a real 'free spirit' paint job too and if it goes like your yellow mono then I'll bring the vallium! %%

To others reading this I'd just like to mention that Martin and his boating buddies have made me very welcome indeed at the water inspite of the fact that as yet I haven't arrived down there with anything to sail. but itis coming guy's I promise you. So thanks for all your help, advice, ribbing, sorry I mean encouragement and friendship I will be 'active' before too long.

Regards - Ramon

andyn

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 07:22:35 pm »

As far as I remember the OPS 90 is a good engine, but the best 90 size engine I've come across so far is the PIP A-90, 10% faster than a CMB, much, much, much ,much cheaper, and has an extra horsepower over the CMB.

Best of luck with it, looks like it will go well.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 06:38:35 pm »

That looks really nice, you have done a fantastic job.

I too am building a Fairey Huntsman, allthought i have to admit i think the plans got a bit messed up as it looks a little different to yours!
I have put a few pictures so you can compare.

See you soon!

Thats a nice looking hydro is it your own design or from plans?whats the dimensions ive been looking for something similar for a zenoah for a while now.
Mart

Mr_Fid

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 05:34:08 pm »

Hello

The boat was made from plans from the late Roger Newton.

I use them only as a guide and redraw them to suit. and the top is totally freestyle!

Its based on the Miss Circus Circus. plan number 146G http://www.newtonmarine.com/plan_details.php?prodId=379&category=5

Good luck

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 06:25:46 pm »

Ahh good old Roger cheers ,might have a go later in the year but ive got too many projects at the moment.
Mart

Mr_Fid

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 08:02:54 pm »

Well it was a very nice day and the water was very smooth....

BUT... i had problems with the engine.
Basically i couldn't get the engine to idle (start engine, then as soon as you take the plug lead of it stalls) unless i leaned the mixture, then when i launched it boy did it go, but it was very very lean so i had to stop.

Can some one explain weather i need a hotter or colder plug??? Never could work that out.

Thanks

omra85

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 08:32:09 pm »

Hi Martin
A "cold" plug has a thicker element than a "hot" plug, therefore the hotter the plug, the more easily it will ignite the fuel/air mix.
Great - we all use the hottest plugs! Unfortunately no! The thinner the element the quicker it will fail or burn away. So you have to achieve a compromise between "burnability" and durability.  This will depend on the design of your engine plus all the other factors - type of fuel, size of prop, length of pipe even the type of water!!
The numbering sytem on most plugs goes from low numbers being hot and high numbers being cold.
The fact that your engine cuts when you remove the glow lead would indicate, as you thought, that it is too rich AT LOW REVS. 
Don't forget though, that you have two needles - one for low revs (throttle almost closed) and one for main jet (throttle fully open).
You probably need to lean out (screw in?) the idle needle - to get the engine to tick over, but also richen (screw out) the main needle for full throttle as you say it is too lean. Try to set up your main jet before your idle screw as one may effect the other.
Bit of reference information here - http://home.intekom.com/modelboats/boat/tunepipe.html (horrible background though :-)

Cheers
Danny

Mr_Fid

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 10:00:09 pm »

Hi danny

Thanks for your reply

Yeah i kind of worked it out that i need a hotter plug, i will get a selection of plugs for next weekend.

However this OPS engine only has the one main needle, so its a bit new to me.

Anyone had any luck with these engines on the original carbs?

andyn

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 10:02:02 pm »

The OPS will be twin needle, the second needle it hidden inside the throttle arm, it's a small screw, you will need a jewellers screwdriver or similar to adjust it.

Mr_Fid

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 10:53:27 pm »

Hello

Honestly the OPS90 only has one

omra85

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 01:52:39 pm »

The servo operated arm connected to the remote needle at the side of the engine is for adjusting the main flow ie the throttle wide open setting.
Once you have it reasonably right (a bit rich) then you should be able to finely adjust it when the boat is moving at full throttle.

Almost all carbs have a second needle due to the fact that, when you start closing the throttle barrel, the airflow reduces but the fuel flow does not (or not in proportion anyway) causing the mixture to richen giving a lumpy tickover and eventually stopping.  The second needle acts to reduce the fuel flow proportionately to the airflow giving an even tickover as the barrel closes.
Very occasionally, this "fuel reducer" takes the form of a fine "V" slot on the barrel which restricts the flow as the barrel closes.  It is usually adjustable by a knurled end piece which rotates to increase or decrease the opening.  A similar method is sometimes used, where the spray bar in the carb venturi also has a "V" shaped slot and performs the same function.
Yet another method 'from the old days' is to have a fine "air hole" which is uncovered as the barrel closes, thus allowing more air in to stop the mixture richening.
If your carb has none of these (which I would find very surprising) then you are stuck with getting the main jet right and leaving the tickover to look after itself.  This will mean that you will probably need to launch quickly, open up, have your run and not start shutting down until you are ready to come in.  Judged correctly, you will be able to get the boat in to the bank before it cuts out.
It is not a method I would be happy with, for anything other than speed runs, as you would have no method of reliably slowing down for obstacles (eg. rescue boat) and then accelerating away.
A close up picture of your carb might give us some clues.
Cheers
Danny

Mr_Fid

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 09:31:04 pm »

Hello

You lot dont belive me!!!

The carb is mounted so the fuel enter the top, and the throttle link is on the bottom. the barrel is also free to rotate 360 degrees and doesn't go in or out, there isn't any little hole or small "V". In real terms i think it is called a Single Hole In Top carb (or "SH1T" for short)

I have made an adaptor so i can fit a CMB carb that might be the best way forward?

omra85

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 10:09:09 pm »

Hi Martin
Well, so much for OPS carbs - all or nothing  %)
I think you would have a hard job getting a good mid range, let alone tickover with that carb!
I can see where your 'name' for it came from - very accurate!
I have a VERY old Picco carb from a 40 which is also "single hole" and that was truly rubbish.

The bore looks surprisingly small for a 90, I'm guessing about 10mm (unless it's the size of your fingers  :o) so a change to a CMB carb would give advantages to top end speed as well.  The bore on my 90 and 91 are both 12.0mm - even my Picco 67's is 12mm!

Your adaptor will (presumably) be able to mount the new carb the "right" way, ie across the engine, allowing you to connect to, and adjust both needles.

Danny

Edit - just had a thought - if you're REALLY clever (ie much cleverer than me) you could "mix" the channels on your radio so that, as you close the throttle, the mixture would also reduce  :-))  It would take some setting up and as you changed mixture during a run, it would alter the slow end as well, but it might just be do-able  {:-{ {:-{

andyn

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 11:30:25 pm »

It's a hydro motor is it not? Therefore all it really needs is fast %)

I've got a single hole jobby on a plane, truly awful, try to harrier at low throttle and you've got a wonderful job of trying to land without tip stalling {:-{

Mr_Fid

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 07:25:46 am »

I will keep you up dated on this subject.....

I will try a few different plugs (hotter) and see if i can get a good run, but also the UK suppliers are going to get back to me with some help? So i will let you know the outcome.

Regards Martin

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 08:06:25 am »

It's a hydro motor is it not? Therefore all it really needs is fast %)

Nice one Andy  {-) your right on there,hydros dont need slow speed they need to rip  :-)).
Mart

andyn

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 01:27:40 pm »

All these hydro's being built is inspiring me, I'm going to try and get one of these Aquacraft Pickleforks on fleabay and put a geared .21 in it...

Do try changing plugs, this thing should be fast O0

ids987

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 04:02:27 pm »

Just like the one I had - not a single needle to be seen - in the carb anyway.
Most of the OPS 40 and 60 carbs were very much like a smaller version of that - except that the main needle was built in.
I have heard one or two use a variation on the same name - some have been know to call them sh1t or bust carb's.
Seeing as the 40 and (I think) the 60 basically started out as control line engines, I guess a throttle control was overkill !
If you did want to use it "as is", it will need to be set up so that it appears to be very rich on the shore / stand. If it is rich enough, you will need to give it quite a lot of throttle and revs to keep it going, and probably keep working the throttle to keep the balance between over-revving and dying.
If you have a CMB 90 carb it should improve things a lot. CMB carbs are not the best, but considerably better.
The only question is whether the carb, needles, and spraybar will stand up to the vibration from the OPS 90. The OPS 90 is a real groundshaking engine - or at least the old ones were.
Can't wait to see the videos when you get it going properly - should be impressive.

Edit - just saw Danny's edit - with regards to mixing the throttle and Radio / Remote main needle. I think I have seen it done. Can't say much more than that though I'm afraid. I've never owned radio equipment with channel mixing built in....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.