Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell Gato - my first RC Sub  (Read 4850 times)

andy01732

Revell Gato - my first RC Sub
« on: October 09, 2009, 06:41:20 pm »

Hi, thought i would share with you my first attempt an an RC dynamic diver. Have had to use two pairs of drive shafts so that the motors will sit inside the water tight compartment built using the kit bulk heads. Kit rudder and hyroplanes used but reinforced with brass. Have used two Tamiya 540s as they should have more than enough grunt to drive her under water. Next step is to fit the battery and servos. I will keep you posted.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: Revell Gato - my first RC Sub
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 08:05:15 pm »

:-) 2 Tamiya 540 on direct drive you say? Post pics of her maiden, this I'll have to see. Nice job on the conversion by the way.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:46:14 pm »

Andy,
What voltage will you be running her and what size ESC?
540's are some overkill with those props too.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

RonP

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 09:07:26 am »

Twinscrew torpedo I think, I should rethink the motors on that one if I were you, it will take off, try a couple of 380s or similar and cut the blade size down, those props will sap too much current
and will screw up any ideas you might have had about trying to turn. Having said that, looks a really good effort for a first timer---well done we need more people like you in this hobby, too many old farts like me about.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:18:22 am »

I completely agree with Ron that we need more inventive and creative younger members into this hobby to take it into the next generation.  That looks like a great job so far and is going to become a very interesting model.

I have to share my own experiences though, which may give you a bit of guidance as to your construction.  I converted the Revel Type VII for surface running only and found that two servo motors were plenty for the propulsion with two 20mm props on the end of the shafts.  If you are going for dynamic diving the best way of doing this is to ballast the model so it is only just positively bouyant so it doesn't take a lot of force to take it below the surface.  This usually means that the model is ballasted to around the "Decks awash" level and the forward speed does not need to be unrealistic to get it to dive.

Your motors are way too big and could cause serious problems when you try it.  If the model doesn't leap out of the water and spear the nearest duck you may well find it unstable and very difficult to steer and look extreemly unrealistic in operation.  I think there is a very real danger of the bow coming out of the water so much that the forward planes won't even be submerged.

If you get the ballasting right there is no reason why a couple of servo motors wouldn't suit your model as well but if you do want a bit more drive for diving I'd still go for very small units and much smaller propellers.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Patrick Henry

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 09:24:39 am »

Most people go for a pair of 385 motors and a lot of the guys use the kit props...or a pair of 35mm brass ones from someone like The Prop Shop.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 10:57:02 pm »

Pair of 200's in mine & still had to trim the throttle back by 60%

admiral donuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 12:33:52 pm »

I feel the need,the need for speed.
Hold on though,a brainwave! submerged fast electric racing.last one to surface wins.
Any kaiten pilots out there ?

Robert Davies

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 03:16:41 pm »

I feel the need,the need for speed.
Hold on though,a brainwave! submerged fast electric racing.last one to surface wins.
Any kaiten pilots out there ?

Already been done.....  ok2

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8212.msg128092#msg128092

-Rob

admiral donuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 09:24:42 pm »

Damn,missed it. I will have to try submerged steering courses,how can you tell if you touch an obstacle (didnt want to put BUOY)
Keep it clean guys
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.