Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Plain Geordie & Curly Kate,  (Read 13788 times)

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Plain Geordie & Curly Kate,
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 07:59:04 pm »

Hi, One of Andy Stewarts records named the "Rumour" is nice to listen to. There is an alternative
to the "Geordie" subject in as much Newcastle, in the civil war was Royalist.
                                                    Nemesis

omra85

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 08:02:03 pm »

Does this mean I've got to learn another language then ?

I think you'll need an course in advanced gibberish, Dicky

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 08:56:04 pm »

I think you'll need an course in advanced gibberish, Dicky

That along with the English and  the Rubbish should hold me in good stead methinks. Is there a funny handshake too ?  {:-{
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

sentry

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 11:34:24 pm »

I was born in Hebburn  lived there 20 years when met wor lass after we won the cup in 73  in the chelsey cat in sheilds  moved to lincolnshire for work still where been married 36 years  wor lass is a Mackem and the mother-in-law still complains yar tacking like him.
                          Sentry.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 02:03:04 am »

>>:-( Am spellin funetic tuh help yis larn thuh reet twang - Aah divven nah.  :(( Nemmy sez wah 'charlies'  :o (thuh 45 was king georg/die? - wer allwis loyil ti thuh croon - reet ideeah  ;)
'Oor Wullie's' a 'worky ticket' startin this lot - 'The Broons' an theh 'but'n ben'  hols ill be next  ;D

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 10:24:42 am »

All this reminds me of the old story....

A Japanese business delegation were visiting Tyneside with the intention of setting up a car factory. They toured various engineering firms, shipyards and workshops, then all went back to the Chamber of Trade for a debrief. Through their translator, the thanked their hosts and said how impressed they were with the Geordies. In particular, said one delegate, they were amazed that several of the workers had already learnt some Japanese.

The locals were stunned, and asked the delegate to explain. He told them that in one foundry he had distinctly hear a worker call to a colleague and say, in Japanese:  "Owa marra - hoy ya hama owa hea!"

Rick

Wasyl

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 10:29:44 am »

Dus it nae dae you gud tae speak yer native tongue,for too long our native dialects have been driven underground,by those that would have us believe, that we must speak the Queens Englsh,Up here north of Hadrians Wall,more and more people are reverting to speaking "the Scots language,..not Gaelic,just Scots,
How many times have we who make up the UK when we are on holiday in ..Spain Germany France,etc, we are automatically classed as English, whenever we open our mouths,.its ok if you are English,but for the like,s of Scots, Welsh, Irish,its a no,no,Whenever anyone says to me,"you are English"I tell them that in order to communicate i peak English,but I am from Scotland,
and before anyone jumps on me,"No I don,t want Scottish Independance" {-)
as fur oor Wullie an the Broons, you,ve obviously been getting the Sunday Post, {-)

Wullie

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 11:02:19 am »

Ref the original point of this post i.e. the round and square ends of bread slices; my Mum and my Gran always referred to them as Audrey and Polly. Any ideas where this came from? Anyone else heard it (East Midlands)?
FLJ

Wasyl

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 11:48:43 am »

Yes,back to the original point,...how easy it is to get side tracked,i,ve never heard of them being called anything but,Plain, Geordie and curly Kate,..but it would appear from the way we were side tracked,that its a Northerner term,..like Boggles,Boggies an broon ale,

Wullie

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 03:38:51 pm »

I was brought up in the East Midlands - Northants - and never ever heard the rounded or flat bits of a slice of bread called anything! The crusty first slice of the loaf was called a "cob end", I think, but we were too poor to afford bread often!

Rick

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 04:13:31 pm »

Bread is traditionally called, 'the staff of life'. There are so many types and varieties - just like our selves/dialects etc and it may be that 'humour' is our yeast. I've subscribed/tasted many forums - Mayhem/mers 'rise above the rest' - the mix is  O0  right   O0 :} I have thoroughly enjoyed the thread/'gentle leg pulling'.  :-))

Wullie - As youngsters we loved the Wullie/Broons (alternating) Xmas 'annuals' - are they still published? -I don't read the (Scottish) 'Sunday Post'.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2009, 04:17:47 pm »

I was brought up in the East Midlands - Northants - and never ever heard the rounded or flat bits of a slice of bread called anything! The crusty first slice of the loaf was called a "cob end", I think, but we were too poor to afford bread often!

Rick

Methinks you may have just started a whole new diversion on Monty Pythons 'Hard, you think you've had it hard ?' sketch  O0

Mike

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 05:30:32 pm »

Ho Wullie, huv you got ony wally dugs on yer mantlepiece? Ah distinctly rememember evrybiddy hud them when ah wis a bairn.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 07:52:57 pm »

Bread is indeed the staff of life: and the life of the Staff is one long loaf.

Wasyl

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2009, 11:11:33 am »

Bread is traditionally called, 'the staff of life'. There are so many types and varieties - just like our selves/dialects etc and it may be that 'humour' is our yeast. I've subscribed/tasted many forums - Mayhem/mers 'rise above the rest' - the mix is  O0  right   O0 :} I have thoroughly enjoyed the thread/'gentle leg pulling'.  :-))

Wullie - As youngsters we loved the Wullie/Broons (alternating) Xmas 'annuals' - are they still published? -I don't read the (Scottish) 'Sunday Post'.
Yes,oor Wullie and the Broons.are still published,along with another old favourite of the time,Rupert the Bear {-)
wullie

Wasyl

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2009, 11:13:15 am »

Ho Wullie, huv you got ony wally dugs on yer mantlepiece? Ah distinctly rememember evrybiddy hud them when ah wis a bairn.
The only Wally dugs that i,ve got are the ones i got from the Dentists, {-)

Wullie

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2009, 12:46:15 pm »

My Gran had a pair of them on her mantlepiece in Possil Park - Her father, Great Grandad Murdoch was a piper on a Clyde steamer (the Waverley) in his later years. Her husband/my Grandad's  favourite loco was powered by the  Napier Deltic (he was a driver on it in his last years before retirement). He was in awe of it's power/sound and comfort - "it pulls a dozen carriages like a piece o' string an I get hame clean". He was very unromantic about steam power - he started as a cleaner and worked his way onto the footplate. He was especially proud of driving the odd 'special' train north to Balmoral/May.   

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2009, 02:20:59 pm »

By coincidence the online Gazette has an article on Dorfy - she tarks jus lyke Perkasaman  O0

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/cookson/Dorfy-on-the-stress-of.5917243.jp

Mike

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2009, 03:53:29 pm »

Ah nah Dorfy, shuh's a canny lass, mind yuh, shuh wud'n gis a gan iv ah byke. {:-{  Ah met a wen ah wis pullin me tanner barra lyk a nackad gallowa - lowded doon wi fornitcha, on anotha flit. Ad sent the bairn tuh hoy the keys thru thi landlads dor, wuh canna pay im  :embarrassed:- Wiv got nowt foh weh sels. Wuh'll hev tuh get the 'provi man'. The 'littl in' needs a quack but wuh hav'n got thuh 3s  6d to pay im. Ah got a polis for free boots foh the bairns - ah cut sum'a them doon foh thuh gels. (Tyneside in the thirties? - Tales aboot thuh gud ol dayz ) :-)

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2009, 05:47:07 pm »

Er - aye well canny - mebbe ah spose  %% {:-{

Mike

artisan100

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2009, 08:21:27 pm »

Plain Geordie and Curly Kate

I thought they were the two presenting One Man and his Dog on BBC2 this week. Kate Humble and ......oh, it doesn't matter about his name. ;)

Geoff

john strapp

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2009, 09:19:21 pm »

Methinks its time the missionaries were coming over the wall to educate those south of the border in Queens english.
Its a well known fact that the purest english is spoken in Inverness.
                                                                                                    Jock Strap

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2009, 10:21:42 pm »

Hi Jock, I think  Wullie's bringing  up reinforcements on the thread  ;) - I like your idea as long as you send 'four an twenty' of them  O0.

I think Mike and I belonged to the 'Likely Lads' era  %). This series was a real personal favourite and I think La Frenais 's characterisation and writing was spot on. Geoff has impeccable taste and judgement.  :-))

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2009, 11:13:07 pm »

Methinks its time the missionaries were coming over the wall to educate those south of the border in Queens english.
Its a well known fact that the purest english is spoken in Inverness.
                                                                                                    Jock Strap
As is usual, you have a problem with spelling. "Queen" has only 2 "e's" and not 3. And here was me believing that Scottiche education was better than wot we got. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Wasyl

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2009, 11:39:59 pm »

Queens!!!...Queeens....??????...specsavers for you Bryan,or are we missing something here,..and your "Scottiche"has the Germanic look to it,or is it Saxon {-) {-) {-)

Wullie
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.