Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Club 500 race boats - Model Slipway.  (Read 31545 times)

explorer750

Re: Club 500 race boats - Model Slipway.
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 08:10:05 pm »

Hi,

I will firstly say that this boat does not have to apply for the club 500 race rules as it WILL NOT  be raced.

The question is what upgrades can be made to a club 500 hull to make it run better and faster.

I would like to hear of possible motor, hardware and electronic upgrades. O0 I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 01:55:44 pm »

Hi explorer750,

I run a Club 500 FQ (fairly quick)

I have cut down the hull to the bow chine line, and carried this removal through to the transom. The transom has been warmed up and flattened off to fit the new deck line. The Deck is also cut down, giving a lip of 5mm from deck level all the way round.  This makes the boat approx 45mm lower.
I have glued two styrene strips on the chine line on the side of the hull and filled the gap with car body filler to give a sharp chine brake off point. I have done the same across the transom. ( The standard hull has very soft edges which is not good. (Bad)

The motor mount is made of ply wood and is a pair of runners approx 230mm long 70mm apart running down the hull. with a cross member to which the motor mounts. The back edge of the motor is 230mm from the transom. The battery pack also sits between these runners, so the pack runs down the middle of the hull (not across as original) on a ply platform as low to the hull as pos. just above the prop shaft.

The shaft is a slim line m4 racing shaft. I also removed the prop exit molding under the hull.

The original mount for servo and receiver is retained but fitted close to the transom. A 25mm hole is cut in the middle to allow the rudder tube access.

The motor is a seventeen turn double running on eight cells and a metal prop. Obviously water cooled.

On this set up with fresh cells it's a bit twitchy. I intend to try a turn fin fitted to the transom and also spray rails under the hull.

Unlike the standard boat, I have been unable to flip the hull no matter how hard I try.

Bob

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 02:29:31 pm »

Hi explorer750,

I run a Club 500 FQ (fairly quick)

Unlike the standard boat, I have been unable to flip the hull no matter how hard I try.

Bob

Now I find that hard to believe. LOL  8)

Cheers Mate,

Ian
The best cure for sea-sickness is to sit under a tree.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2008, 03:18:21 pm »

Hi Ian,

Sorry to hear you've been unwell.
Called in to the show on Saturday and Ted told me.

Wish you a full and speedy recovery.

Best regards Bob.

explorer750

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 05:47:16 pm »

I have only run mine in standard form, and still not managed to flip it even by turning side on to a wave at full pelt.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 06:57:31 pm »

They have a habit of turning over if they come into contact with other club 500's when racing.

I have had my revised version on its side after clipping buoys, but it has always kept correct side up.

Bob

explorer750

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 01:45:04 pm »

Could you run a club 500 with a surface drive system? Would it be  any better?

Also can someone suggest a motor upgrade, Brushless possibly.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2008, 12:22:21 pm »

Hi again,
I see no reason why not. (Surface drive)

I have a crackerbox that was rubbish, and I changed that to surface drive with better results. Still wont turn though. But it did stop it porpoising

The old sloopy was also used with surface drive to good effect. As I understand it, surface drive boats don't turn so well, but I have an ian williams boat with surface drive that almost turns in its own length in both directions.

The best thing is to suck it and see, you can always fill in the hole and try something else.

Regards Bob

Bob

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »

Now here,s a question to get the weekend going .......what colour is fastest  BBDave says that Yellow is quickest what is the real answer come on all you club 500 racers spill the beans   :P
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2008, 05:56:23 pm »

Could be:

Racing Red

Whoosh White

Blistering Blue

Galloping Green

Or Even

Pulsating Pink  O0

Don't Assume Check

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2008, 08:51:39 pm »

Hi all,

Well from my experience with Club 500 racing, I would definitely say that Yellow boats are quickest.
I was world champion of Bridlington THREE years in succession. and once runner up. (to a green boat)   >:(
My old boat was taken over by a new owner, and is doing very well this year (it is now in its sixth season)
and has just broken the club record for the most laps in a single club 500  race.

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2008, 09:08:11 pm »

the weekend isn't only about springers there is also club500 raceing just that the title of the thread says re springer tugs lighten up Stavros it's only fun  ::) perhaps as a moderator if you don't like it move it to another thread
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2008, 10:17:01 pm »

Well, we have been racing Club 500's at Alfold Charity Show this weekend, I came third, I was running a white hull, yellow deck, blue cabin with white windows purple and yellow strips. Unfortunately the boat is now a lot worse for wear, I feel another 500 racer coming along very soon.
Alan

andyn

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2008, 03:11:39 pm »

Well we have a kayak at the club that is 'Mighty Green' (official Liquid Logic name), and has subsequently been nicknamed Zeus 'The Mighty Green Kayak'

Stavros

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2008, 07:01:05 pm »

Me been rather busy today as I built a 500 in less than 7hrs without really trying.
Everything you could possibly need apart from the obvious is included in this kit from Model Slipway.Right what do you get,well hull ,deck,superstructure,batt holder,electrics tray,rudder post strengthener,Motor mount,propshaft and prop,motor,rudder,comprehensive inst book.
I started off by trimming the hull and every conceivable part that needed trimming just to speed up the build process.The propshaft hole and rudder post were both drilled and aligned up,the rudder support,electrics tray and the motor mount were all epoxied in all at the same time with 30min glue.Next it was the turn of the deck to the hull with the same glue.The rudder servo was next and this was stuck down with automotive double sided tape,followed by the speed controller and receiver.A hole was drilled for the aerial and the superstructure locating tabs were installed,one at the front and 2 at the stern.Hopefully I will test it out tomorrow and post the results

Stavros

1 What you get in the kit
2 Motor mount
3 Rudder support
4 Electrics tray and batt tray glued in
5 Motor on it's mount

Stavros

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2008, 07:02:19 pm »

6 Hull and deck glued together
7 Cabin roof with the window transfers stuck on
8 Electrical installation
9 In all her glory

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2008, 07:09:51 pm »

What glues did you use?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stavros

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2008, 07:16:11 pm »

Only one Martin Zap epoxy 30 mins

http://zap.supergluecorp.com/pt39.html

Stavros

bbdave

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2008, 10:55:58 pm »

I built one a few weeks back great fun on our local lake and we went racing up at bridlington a couple of weeks ago at there springer and club 500 weekend which was even more fun! here's a couple of pics of mine with modified v8. why did you go for blue stavros could you not handle the speed of yellow  {-). i've had to put red stripes on to slow her down!

O0

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2008, 11:15:50 am »

Can anyone show me a simple way of sharpening up the transom edge?

Where did you get the little V8 BBdave?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stavros

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2008, 11:19:37 am »

Why do you want to do that Martin, you going to cheat are we.The V8 come s with the kit Martin I got one to

Stavros

bbdave

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2008, 10:24:17 pm »

Have you run her yet stavros?

Yep kit part Martin just played a little with mine (need to get out more)

Stavros

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2008, 11:12:41 pm »

Not yet dammed electrics in the Eldergarth took up all my time and it went to late >>:-(

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2008, 04:04:23 pm »

Just come back from playing all I can say is WOW sorry no piccs bought new camera so could not do 2 things at once will post some on sun

Stavros

Daniel

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2008, 07:43:44 pm »

ask laurie at model slipway
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.