Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Containership MSC Napoli  (Read 11345 times)

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
Re: Containership MSC Napoli
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2007, 02:42:39 pm »

Well yes, I suppose that a BMW motorbike could be classed as a 'hazardous item' if it got into the wrong hands, but seriously, surely it isn't always possible to re-arrange containers at each port of call so that the most hazardous stuff stays topsides? What happens when the nastier stuff has been loaded first, surely it must remain deep inside the hull?
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2007, 02:55:31 pm »

No, the cargo is loaded so that the next port is always 'get attable', usually in columns. If you do put stuff overstowing the next ports cargo you are not a popular bloke as the restowing costs plenty (occasionaly you have no option) A bit like a three dimensional puzzle as besides keeping it in the right order you have to keep the ship trimmed, stable with no bad bending/shearing moments (mmm ?) and the cargo accessable to as many gantries at the same time  ;D. With the big box boats it is all computerised anyway but there are strict guidelines as to what part of the ship hazardous can be stowed and no way can a 'on deck only' box find itself moving below. That's why I used to be on film stars wages -not !!

MikeK

OneBladeMissing

• Full Mayhemer
  • Man overboard! Leave Him! (Eric Sykes)
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007, 04:23:54 pm »

I wonder if that BMW bike will end up on Ebay, and what the reserve will be!
"Give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by ..... or a short ship and a GPS!"

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2007, 06:28:28 pm »

I wonder if that BMW bike will end up on Ebay, and what the reserve will be!

I think that whoever got that bike is going to find it difficult to enjoy their find. It isn't a case of 'finders keepers', legally it's salvage, which means that although it still belongs to its original owner, the finder has to fill in a salvage form, Customs & Excise were handing them out like confetti on the beach, and negotiate a price with the legal owner to return it, which could be a fair amount in this case. The VIN number or whatever, will pretty soon be on the DVLC computer, so no-one could legally register it. Apparently, most of the people on that beach were taking away things like packs of nappies, and I can't see anyone making much of a fuss about that, especially once they'd been used. Could be a bit different with a BMW bike though.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 09:33:53 am »

You could try getting an old one from a scrap yard and swapping identities (I don't think there will be many of that model scrapped yet !) We were once tied up at a lay-by berth in the Manchester Ship Canal next to a Fiat holding car park, when they had just brought out that little sports car (long time ago now) We were admiring one when a delivery driver came past and said something to the effect that if we dropped a driver a few bob and the same with the gatekeeper we/I could borrow the trade plates, have one away home overnight, and be back to the ship next morning. Didn't do it, of course (honest  ::) ::) ) When we were discussing 'what if' we came up with exactly the same problem with the DVLA that anmo mentioned. You would constantly on edge in case you incurred too close an interest of the law when driving it. Having said that, the driver said it as if it was not a novel idea so maybe there are cars disappearing from the vast car holding parks all the time with organised crime supplying forged paperwork, but that's getting off topic  ;D ;D

MikeK

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2007, 10:15:06 am »

The more hazardous containers will have been deck stow by law, with the less dangerous stuff below decks - as per instructions in the haz. 'blue books' so I suppose the coppers are right scaring people off.
MikeK

I'm quite happy to take your word for all that, but last night on the TV news, they told us that the most hazardous containers were stowed deep inside, and not on the deck. Have the BBC got it wrong? They showed a cutaway of the ship showing exactly where they claimed the nasty stuff was hiding.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2007, 10:27:35 am »

The nastier the stuff is the more accessable it has to be in case of just such accidents, with the general exception of stuff that goes bang when wet ! I forget how many volumes of the 'blue book' there are (around 9) but every last bit of hazardous cargo is listed in them and precise instructions on where they can be stowed and also how far away the minimum distance from cargo of  other different haz classes is allowed. As a generalisation, the nastier it is usually means on deck stowage. If you had a lot of haz of different classes it could be a pain in the backside juggling everything

MikeK

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2007, 10:40:35 am »

I remember watching michael palin "around the world in 80 days", the neptune diamond had a container blow up!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2007, 02:46:23 pm »

See Ebay's removed most of the advetised Napoli stuff as they have to. Do the people doing this not realise they HAVE to register it with the Receiver of Wrecks , wait a full year before the stuff can be sold and if they don't they can ( and going by this mornings press briefings WILL ) be found and prosecuted !!!

Now if there had been a container of big model boat kits on there.............  ;D :o ;D

Davie :D :D
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2007, 04:50:42 pm »

I should think that any of the stuff with electricals in it is likely to be pretty useless after immersion in salt water - "nice BMW bike, new, just needs rewiring....."

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2007, 10:51:34 pm »

I think the bike must have been in a sealed container.

On the news last night the guy was wheeling it up the tracks with the head light on and working.

Could just be a TV thing I long ago realised that you don't believe anything you see on TV.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

Roger in France

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2007, 06:51:52 pm »

As someone else on the Forum said....you cannot trust much of what journalists say because the subs and the editors want it fast and simple. The better journalist may possibly find the facts and attempt to understand them but when it gets to the editing stage....forget it.

I long since decided "If they can get so much of what I know about so badly wrong, how can I believe any of the stuff they tell me about subjects on which I know little or nothing"?

Roger in France.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2007, 11:47:13 pm »

it has to be said thank god this ship wasnt the victim.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2007, 09:14:27 am »

Or a liquid gas carrier ! If they float they can also sink, they havn't built the unsinkable one yet, despite a few claims otherwise  ;D ;D

MikeK

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2007, 09:29:02 am »

Or a liquid gas carrier ! If they float they can also sink, they havn't built the unsinkable one yet, despite a few claims otherwise  ;D ;D

MikeK

Why don't shipowners fill nooks & crannies with some expanded polystyrene like modellers do? That should stop them from sinking.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2007, 12:07:25 pm »

I think if they did that, to get sufficient buoyancy, they would have to fill the cargo spaces with foam and put the cargo in the nooks and crannies   ;D ;D

MikeK

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2007, 12:16:33 pm »

they could of course try building the ship out of blue core, then hey presto, unsinklable ship!

cdsc123

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2007, 12:35:35 pm »

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2007, 01:37:08 pm »

Ghost in Shell,
You are correct there, mind you the waste nuclear waste ships are well built and good ships in a seaway.
Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2007, 10:12:46 pm »

i did have a chance to see Pintail in the flesh, (that pic isnt mine, its a commercial one), i was surprise on how big she isnt

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2007, 11:42:47 pm »

They don;t need to be big, but they have to be sea worthy, they regularly do Japan and back.
Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2007, 11:20:02 am »

unlike the napoli, the PNTL ships have 2 props 2 rudders, with electric drive on the props, and 2 diesel engines with a cross over.

http://www.pntl.co.uk/pntl-fleet/ship-tour/

interesting ships :)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2007, 03:14:36 pm »

I didn't realize that she carried 2400 containers.

Wouldn't they be better to build them wider than present.

The longer they are the more they are prone to snapping their backs.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2007, 03:33:06 pm »

I didn't realize that she carried 2400 containers.

Wouldn't they be better to build them wider than present.

The longer they are the more they are prone to snapping their backs.

Actually the more often you run them aground the more likely they are to break thier backs!!

The required amount of strength can be built into any ship design to make it as safe as you want it but there will always be compromises depending on your acceptable level of risk.

Unfortunately you can't design them to withstand sitting on a rock and watching the shear force and bending moments slowly going through the roof as the water level goes down.

From my own reading of MAIB (Marine Accident Investigation Branch) reports I would say 90% of marine casualties are human error related.  It is beleived that this one was as a result of poor repairs completed after another grounding of the same ship two years ago. 

Maybe they didn't like this one!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 23 queries.