Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell type V11 convertion  (Read 16845 times)

REDDEVIL

Re: Revell type V11 convertion
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 07:08:26 am »

HEre you have some pics of the work to open all the hole in the deck of mine

submate

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 07:58:07 pm »

Hi all.

Just when I thought I would get all the electrics finished, my dive micro switch went TxTs up.

The batteries will be in the bow section sealed in a balloon and all the decking made removable.

Apologies for the lack of photos I keep forgetting my camera! %%

bijou

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 02:15:30 pm »

HI.Can You make a picture for the next time?.PLEASE!.
 ok2  :-)

submate

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 04:31:10 pm »

Hi  all.

Just some up to date photos of the WTC, as you can see things are very cramped. The batteries will in the bow section.

I still have some work to do in with the WTC. Will update ASAP O0

submate

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 04:33:26 pm »

The next 2 photos did not load so here they are :embarrassed:

submate

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 04:37:48 pm »

Oops

submate

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 08:12:47 pm »

Hi

The batteries will be sealed into a balloon enough wire so they can be easily removed for charging.

The main centre deck with the conning tower is sequired by bow deck section and that is held in place by 2 discs rotated by 90

Hope the pic is ok

;)

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 09:07:19 pm »

Nice work so far. What batteries are you using, often you can place them in the wet area without resorting to a baloon which can bring its own problems with stability when the battery heats up.

submate

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 05:25:33 pm »

Mankster

I am using 6  sub c type at 2200mAH capacity. I am open to any tips you may have.

Ta

O0

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 06:18:45 pm »

Glue lined heatshrink tubing sounds ideal. Then seal the ends with silicone. I find that any gas produce can find its way out, or can you put a vent in one end if you prefer.

coolbumble

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 08:03:31 pm »

Hi again
Noted you mention using 6 sub c batteries They will need quiet a lot of space and rather heavy I guess each must weigh about 35 grams each or so making a total of 210 grams . In my Revell type V11 conversion the battery only weighs 70grams and the size is 48mm x 34mm x 8mm made from two phone batteries. Weight and space can be a problem in this conversion it needs to submerge but also surface !!!
I was looking at lithium batteries on Ebay which are available 3.7 volt 2200mah and only weigh 40 grams each size 60mm x 18 mm two of these may do the job have actually ordered a couple to try .
Regards
Ian

submate

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2011, 06:39:40 pm »

Thanks to Mankster's suggestion, I have used an old bike inner tube to cover the batteries and have sealed the ends with silicon mastic.

I hope to do harbour trials soon and let you all know.

Coolbumble, I have plenty of space in the bow, but I will see how everything goes in the trials. Thanks. :o

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 06:53:09 pm »

That should work. Here a picture of my 12v pack in the bath. I used Glue lined heatshrink tubing. I used silicon fuel tubing to insulate the wire connectors.

silent running556

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 08:09:11 pm »

I was wondering about batteries too. I'm about to start on the bulkhead compartment section on a Robbe version of this boat and the recommended batteries are 6v 5ah, if were to use different batteries would this mean moving these bulkhead dividers in advance? I still need batteries, rc and paint.

silent running556

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2011, 01:59:33 pm »

Thanks for the info, but i decided to opt for the original batteries above to be on the safe side. I actually got hold of some Stabilit Express too after all. ok2

submate

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2011, 08:26:28 pm »

Hi

Some pics of the battery arrangement.

The on/off switch is the plug & socket inside the WTC bulkhead. So all I need to do is plug in close WTC and slide it in parking the wire
into the bow.

Bath trials soon & will report back asap.

coolbumble

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2011, 04:12:18 pm »

Hi

Now you have the battery outside why don't you also have the connector outside. It will save you having to disconnect and reconnect the WTC every time which isn't desirable once its watertight !!!!

I have found no problems doing this in my subs
Regards
Ian  :-))

submate

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2011, 07:14:12 pm »

Hi

The bath trials were a disaster, bow plunged straight down and I got water leeks to sort out. A good job it was in the bath as it would have been a one way one time only trip!

As Coolbumble suggested, the batteries were too heavy and I did not balance the C of G!

I am now thinking of using AA Or AA A's re-chargables and distributing them. Any tips /suggestions ?
 :((

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2011, 07:36:26 pm »

Have a look at A123 Lihium LifePO4 batteries. You will only need two cells for the voltage you're running at, much easier to package than NimH or Nicads and this technology overcome many of the issues that you find with Lipo batteries. You will need a specific charger for them though.

coolbumble

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2011, 12:13:22 am »

Hi Andy

Sorry to hear about your trials ! I had problems of leakage on my first sub  a VC11 and sorted them with testing the WTC on its own and  in the kitchen sink weighting it under the water if necessary and putting it through all its functions. My cause was ill fitting of the shaft seals which in the end I found I had to redo . To assist in "floating the boat" I use pieces of dense polystyrene attached to the upper sides of the hull . Trust you also sort out your battery probs this particular model due to its size is tricky as a first project.
To prove it happens to not just you I am enclosing pic of the WTC showing the water leaks I had to sort !!
Best of luck  :-))
Ian 

Albion

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2011, 08:36:53 pm »

Have a look at A123 Lihium LifePO4 batteries. You will only need two cells for the voltage you're running at, much easier to package than NimH or Nicads and this technology overcome many of the issues that you find with Lipo batteries. You will need a specific charger for them though.
yup they are good, im just outfitting a second boat with them

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2011, 02:14:28 pm »

I think what is slowing up adoption of this superior battery technology is

1. Lack of knowledge.
2. Shortage of suitable chargers, or at least inexpensive ones.
3. A smaller selection of capacities and sizes.
4. Higher initial cost, although over time they should be a lot less expensive than lead acid batteries which are considered to be 'cheap' batteries.

I've noticed that Norbert Bruggen has started to spec them in his models (Deepflight Aviator kit shows liFe PO4 batteries recommended). They're far less sensitive to deep discharge, are housed in tough cylindrical housings like NiMH/Nicads and have the longest cycle life of any competing technology (2000 cycles).

Lipo still retains the crown for ultimate power density, but unless you're building a very quick boat like a Subdog, I see no reason to look beyond these batteries.

submate

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2011, 05:23:45 pm »

Hi
I have followed advice and put 2 brass screws through the fore WTC bulkhead and will put vasileen around the plug a socket
to help with insulation.

I still have to trial this.

Sorry about the picture quality.

submate

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2011, 07:41:08 pm »

Hi all

I am now back in circulation now my domestic life is back in some sort of order.  <:(

I have had one awful S*D of a year and a near breakup of my marrage, fingers crossed it does not? :o

Now I have the impetus to start again on the project.

The sub has a slipping drive shaft to which supa glue need applying. I will report back when repaired.

:-)

submate

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2012, 07:16:05 pm »

Hi all

I have now gone one step forwards IE dive prob fixed but gone 3 steps back because the o ring seal to the motor section has snapped.

Photo will come later, before I affect repairs, hopefully. <:(
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.