Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: U47  (Read 8800 times)

thegrimreaper

Re: U47
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 02:48:14 pm »

found an interesting link on wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

not illigal to display in the U.K. or many countries, article is an interesting read in history and also on how the flag became what it was in the war and what it represents now

Roadrunner

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 03:04:09 pm »

As far as im aware the swastika is banned in Germany and there is a prison term for those who wear it along with a few other countries, i know for a fact that German model kits are not allowed to produce the symbol to go with a German model ship or aircraft, what has been found those who wish an authentic level of detail work around the ban but creating a 'stencil' of sorts which would be faint lines of the symbol itself.

Here in the UK im not sure if its banned or not, but i would have thought though common decency that would stop you putting one on a model regardless if its part of the models heritage and authenticity.
Although i say that i do personally think that we could be a bit open minded about the use of that particular flag on models that would have shown it during the time period, but saying that Hitler designed the VW beetle and how many of them do we own! I personally haven't got a issues with seeing the flag on a model as it would be in the right context but i certainly wouldn't do it myself knowing what my grandparents went through.

But this could be said over a great many flags of the past but yet they are more excepted then the swastika, take the confederate flag for instance we all know what the most common use of that flag was for during the 1920- upwards of the persecution of 'afro american' people by extremists like the KKK until they accepted as equals but yet only last week the flag was displayed at a local show under the Gatling gun model someone was displaying, and even some modern films show the flag, take The Dukes Of Hazard' displayed full blown on the top of the car.
These flags are accepted as part of history and used in the right context should be allowed and not judged the person who's displaying it, rightly or wrongly.

I suppose its your choice to use it or not, as long as your not breaking the law

Take the Bismark for example it wouldn't be the Bismark really without the flag painted on the bow of the ship

deadbeat

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 03:15:51 pm »

I don't think there would be a problem if you used the German Naval ensign. Have a look at www.uboat.net

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 03:59:32 pm »

Hitler designed the VW beetle!

The Beetle was designed by Ferdinand Porsche.

silent running556

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2011, 01:02:13 am »

Don't worry , if it had a white flag with markings on it originally then that's what it'll have now, i want it to look authentic. U-BOAT flags are white not red apparently. :-))

brianB6

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2011, 01:40:27 am »

Two thoughts
The flag would only have been flown when entering or leaving harbour.
The swastika is far older than the third reich and has been an Indian symbol, in both directions, for centuries.

silent running556

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2011, 02:42:43 pm »

The Royal Navy has been told to take down its flag at times as the cross offends some people. People take it too seriously sometimes. admire the work taken to build these boats etc not any political attachments.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.