Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1279080 times)

berth44

Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #1250 on: November 30, 2009, 01:56:02 pm »

I've just started to work on the two 'house like' aircraft hangers in issue 105. The support brackets, parts 998/90/1002/4 were just way 'too wee' for me, even with my 'binoculars' on I had no hope and gave up on them.
So I had to find a solution and a 'Plasticard' strip of the right thickness just happened to be at hand. A touch of 'superglue' was applied and the srtip pressed home into the slot in the roof. This was done for them all and the strip was trimmed to the right shape and the catwalks fitted in place. I have supplied a photo that should explain this procedure. So if you're like me with failing eyesight and big fingers, it's an idea....Dave

berth44

« Reply #1251 on: December 01, 2009, 01:04:10 pm »

I suppose the next logical step would be to finish the hangers, this I have done, here are the photo's...Dave

berth44

« Reply #1252 on: December 01, 2009, 01:07:27 pm »

OOPS, pressed wrong button, maybe this time!!

duttydozen

« Reply #1253 on: December 01, 2009, 11:04:07 pm »

coming along nicely there Dave but be warned you need to sand/file 2 mil from the inner walls of the hangars or they won't fit between the funnel and the guard rails.
I'm finishing mine at the weekend
At last.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1254 on: December 01, 2009, 11:13:20 pm »

Welcome to the forum, duttydozen.

How about some photos of your build, I'm sure others would love to see how you have progressed.

Peter.

duttydozen

« Reply #1255 on: December 01, 2009, 11:31:08 pm »

These are a few days old,i'll put an up to date pic up tomorrow as my camera needs batteries.

berth44

« Reply #1256 on: December 02, 2009, 04:49:24 am »

Well done Peter, looks great, terrific paint job, and aint you lucky son of a gun, nearly done as well!!   What's to go, rigging and railings??? Thanks about mentioning the fact I've to take 2mm off the inner wall of the hanger (both of them???)
At this stage I'm afraid of damage, but if it wont fit, what choice do I have???......Dave

berth44

« Reply #1257 on: December 02, 2009, 05:11:56 am »

Thought I'd try a see if I can improve the blast bags of the main guns. Here's my first effort, totally an experiment using 'wood glue' with a bit of fingernail art to create 'çreases' The 'bumfled up' appearance where the barrel enters the turrets was purely an accident!! The barrel is so tight in the turret, I can't get it out, nearly pulled the whole frront off, hence the gap!!. Here are some photo's................Dave

mark_1984

« Reply #1258 on: December 02, 2009, 08:26:45 am »

Nice one Dave.  Looks much better than the original.  Can you give us some more detailsof how you did it.

berth44

« Reply #1259 on: December 02, 2009, 10:38:11 pm »

No worries Mark, thanks for the positive comment, only too glad to pass it on!! Using my 'normal' craft glue, (this small bottle has a nozzle attached) all I did was to spread it all over the 'moulded' bag, not too thickly as I would imagine it'll run! I applied a pretty even thin layer, turning the barrel with my fingers and 'blowing' on it to keep it Even' (I even placed it in the chuck of my drill and spun it round!!) Seeing as it was pretty warm, I let the barrel hang in the chuck of the drill in the sun until it became clear and non tacky.
It was then worked into the turret, (make sure the thing fits first, you may require either a wee bit slimming of the plastic part, or widening of the turret front, but you don't want it 'slack!!') this has the effect of pushing the glue forward to form that sort of 'bum fled' look! (accidental discovery!!) As the glue is hard, but still 'soft', using my thumbnail I formed the creases that are apparent in the photo. I suppose if you wanted more pronounced creases, you could add another coat of glue (??)
Anyway, I'm happy with the result, I've managed to get the barrel out the turret, I'm happy with that one, just need to clean up the back before I inserted it for good!, now for the other 7, just got to make up something to hold them all when they are drying!!

mark_1984

« Reply #1260 on: December 02, 2009, 10:47:48 pm »

Thanks Dave, it certainly looks the biz.

berth44

« Reply #1261 on: December 04, 2009, 12:02:29 pm »

Left them in the sun too long Mark and the glue went hard...oops!!! Applied some more and worked on them just as they turned clear. Done a wee modification, took about 1/4 inch of the glue off the rear of the barrel, then worked it forward to the part where it fits into the turret front, doing this reduces the size of the 'bumfle'....Dave

duttydozen

« Reply #1262 on: December 05, 2009, 02:42:21 pm »

FINIIIIISHED.
I enjoyed that.
Cheers for the welcome,by the way,Peter.

I must admit i almost 'lost it'once or twice but i'm glad i stuck with it.

Gary

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1263 on: December 05, 2009, 09:27:00 pm »

Cheers for the welcome,by the way,Peter.

My pleasure, it's good to have you aboard. Nice job of Bismarck, too.

What's that other one on the wall shelf?

Peter.

berth44

« Reply #1264 on: December 20, 2009, 11:46:28 pm »

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all....Dave

mark_1984

« Reply #1265 on: December 21, 2009, 09:19:32 pm »

Merry Christmas everybody,

May your stocking be full of models !

Best wishes
Mark

mark_1984

« Reply #1266 on: December 22, 2009, 11:32:26 am »

In a desperate attempt to put Martin to shame I've managed to continue with my build and updated my web site !

http://www.buildthebismarck.co.uk/modelframe.htm

reefrich

« Reply #1267 on: January 04, 2010, 10:59:58 am »

Love the detail, you have created!

Wasyl

« Reply #1268 on: January 21, 2010, 12:21:35 am »

I have to applaud all of you,who built this Bismarck,its my favourite ship,..i too have now got one,but i took the easy road to get it,I bought one off ebay,as this was the only way i,d ever get one,as i can,t build,..she will sit nicely with my recently purchased 1/200 Prinz Eugen,

Well done

Wullie

dano48

« Reply #1269 on: January 21, 2010, 10:24:07 am »

Greetings, and a Happy New Year !! to all, I'm Richard, I have been following this forum for some time now , and would like to thank every body involved in this build it has given me a much needed heads up on the construction of the model :-)), I have just received issue 131, although I have not started to build it yet due to to many other projects :}, this is my first model, hopefully won't be my last ;),I am waiting to get the lot,  then I will start on the remote controlled model, I would like to ask a couple of 4 questions mainly directed at Dave (berth44), or other Aussies, I live in Brisbane, and would like to know,
1) if the paint codes referred to in the magazine are ready available in Australia,
2) and they mention for the R/C model polyurethane paint for the hull, can you get that in model paints?, if not, what similar colour?
3)what sort of water proof wood glue did you use,
4)two part filler? 
If you'd be kind enough to give me some brand names, I will source them out,
Keep up the good work,
Kind regards, Richard

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1270 on: January 21, 2010, 10:38:11 pm »

Hi Richard, and welcome to the forum from me, here in little old Lennox Head, in cockroach country  O0 Just an outlying suburb of Brisbane really, it's only 2 hours drive away  {-)

Hopefully some other Aussie members (berth44?) will be able to answer your questions. Concerning glue, I normally use cyano such as Zap, for most woodwork, but occasionally use Selley's Aquadhere exterior grade PVA, which has given good results. I also use Araldite in high stress situations. The secret is to thoroughly waterproof the hull after construction, if it is completely waterproof it doesn't really matter which glue you use, in my opinion.

Are you a member of a club, or are you flying solo?

Peter.

dano48

« Reply #1271 on: January 22, 2010, 08:36:10 am »

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply , cockroach country?, I think some got away from your town mate {-), I am sailing solo, I have seen some models from the Logan club and I have spoken to members , but as yet do not belong to any club, between work and my other hobbies, I don't really have the time to join, can't wait for retirement O0, regarding the glues I always thought that cyano(super glue?), was more for non porous surfaces, I know that there are some thicker than others but I thought there are better ones for wood, By waterproofing the hull do you mean paint? or fibreglass, then paint?,or some other type?
Cheers, Richard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1272 on: January 22, 2010, 09:16:19 am »

Hi Richard,
 Welcome to the forum a, welcome to your Bismarck build..... "You vill do as you are told!"
  (Is that still in bad taste these days?!)

1) if the paint codes referred to in the magazine are ready available in Australia,
   Depending what type of paint you want to use (car spray, modeling (Tamiya etc.) enamels (tinlets), house paint, use
    whatever looks closest to the colour in the magazine!

2) and they mention for the R/C model polyurethane paint for the hull, can you get that in model paints?, if not, what similar colour?
   As above, choose how you are going to finish you hull first, (sanding sealer, resin, sealant, epoxy) and then  decide how
    you want to paint that.

3)what sort of water proof wood glue did you use,
   Evo-stick watherproof wood adhesive & Unibond Exterior.

4)two part filler?  
   Car body filler Isopon P38 etc.

Have you seen my "build"? - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4024.msg39250#msg39250
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dano48

« Reply #1273 on: January 22, 2010, 09:57:32 am »

Ya vol my Commandant {-), Tanks Martin, you did welcome me before, :-)) a couple of years ago I think, yes I have been following your built, that's what got me started in the forum from google , and I like your sense of humor {-), and then you stopped, >>:-(:} I do want to use the model paints, maybe some one can recommend the best way to finish the hull, before painting, some of the brand names you mention, I don't know if I will find them here, that's why I ask  for some Aussie feedback, they will be easier to source, sorry if I am being a pain but I am new to boat modeling and want to do it right first time, thanks again,
Cheers, Richard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1274 on: January 22, 2010, 11:39:58 am »

I'm planning to sand my hull to shape and paint with umteen coats of sanding sealer.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.