Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1278892 times)

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #800 on: October 08, 2007, 07:58:06 pm »

oh be wary of who takes you up on youre offer. if there wearing a dirty raincoat, run. and please dont forget youre lickle helpers, protect them at all costs. worth there weight in gold.
grumpy old XXX

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #801 on: October 18, 2007, 09:56:58 am »

Finally my first four parts of the Bismark finally turned up, so I am going to experiment and cut out all the parts in balsa and build two for the price of one, and one should be very light.........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

mark_1984

« Reply #802 on: October 18, 2007, 10:25:06 am »

Hi Roy,  That would work fine for the wooden parts, but you might find it more difficult reproducing the etched brass parts and cast parts that are likely to follow.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #803 on: October 18, 2007, 01:45:05 pm »

Mark,

That may well be true but I am determine to have a bash at it, I will have to waite and see what they throw at me I suppose........ ::) ::)

Roy

Down below

« Reply #804 on: October 18, 2007, 07:07:30 pm »

Er, might be a daft question, but why are you duplicating parts in Balsa when the supplied original parts are made of ply?

Balsa is far too soft for this model ;)

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #805 on: October 18, 2007, 09:47:30 pm »

I have read every post on this build and at different sections all have stated to build light if possible, so far what I have received in the packs is almost double the weight of the balsa, so therefore it must be lighter and should sail better..

As for not having the strength, I fail to see why not, as it will be built the same and double planked in balsa then given fibreglass matt and resin on the hull which I would be doing whether it is ply or balsa, I have yachts which are A Class built entirely from balsa and are 1.8 metres long and have been happily sailing them for years with no problems, so I think the strenght issue is non existant.........

Roy

mark_1984

« Reply #806 on: October 19, 2007, 05:44:34 am »

Hi Roy,  There is little you can't achieve with some inginuity.  I'll look forward to hearing how you get on.

Cheers
Mark

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #807 on: October 19, 2007, 07:27:35 am »

Roy, go for it mate. One of our club members has built several large battleships, around the 2.5 metre mark, using balsa covered with fibreglass with no problems at all.
Peter

RantandRave

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...don't get me started!
« Reply #808 on: October 19, 2007, 10:38:51 am »

You could try photocoping the parts if possible, then you could cup out and reproduce in almost any size or material.... might be breech of copyright though.

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #809 on: October 19, 2007, 11:19:45 am »

You could try photocoping the parts if possible, then you could cup out and reproduce in almost any size or material.... might be breech of copyright though.

I don't think there would be any copyright problem as long as it's purely for your own use, you aren't copying any of the parts to sell, or pass on to someone else. That's UK copyright law though, they may have something a bit different out in the far-flung ex-colonies, though I can't envisage anyone from Hatchette or Amati traveling all that way to impound your Bismarck copy. Like most kits I've seen, this one seems to be massively over engineered and over complicated, never go the simple route and use one piece of wood where you can fit in three or four smaller ones, so if you use some common sense and do it right, you could end up with something much better than the original, at least as far as the hull is concerned.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

Down below

« Reply #810 on: October 19, 2007, 02:34:18 pm »

I have read every post on this build and at different sections all have stated to build light if possible, so far what I have received in the packs is almost double the weight of the balsa, so therefore it must be lighter and should sail better..

As for not having the strength, I fail to see why not, as it will be built the same and double planked in balsa then given fibreglass matt and resin on the hull which I would be doing whether it is ply or balsa, I have yachts which are A Class built entirely from balsa and are 1.8 metres long and have been happily sailing them for years with no problems, so I think the strenght issue is non existant.........

Roy

Each to there own, sounds a lot of hassle to me, it will be very interesting to see how you get on and am sure Amati will be watching closely too as you seem to know something they dont about this model.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Build the Bismarck
« Reply #811 on: October 19, 2007, 09:08:49 pm »

Question:
I was under the apprehension that there is / was a 2nd layer of planking but it seem that the 2nd layer is not over the top but just 'around the top' ie. just under the deck - is that correct?

Second question:
If there is only one layer of planking around the main bulk of the hull, when do I start thinking about smoothing out the hull and prepping it for weatherproofing?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

mark_1984

« Reply #812 on: October 20, 2007, 02:07:33 am »

Hi Martin,

The majority of the hull does have a second payer of planking.  In fact all of it except the recessed bit just under the deck.
Don't do anything about waterproofing the outside until the second layer of planking is completed.  Any waterproofing you do on the first layer of planking will just stop the second layer of planking from being glued properly, and wont achieve anything.  Water shouldn't get past the paint/waterproofing on the very outside of the hull.

This link shows you what the Germans have received up to date.  It may (or may not) help.  The second layer planking starts at issue 35.

http://www.subifa.de/heftvorschau/die_bismarck_aktuell.htm

Cheers
Mark

The long Build

« Reply #813 on: October 23, 2007, 11:41:27 pm »

Hi Martin
Did you start getting your issues of the "Build The Bismark" at the start or did you start your subscription a bit later, as a friend of mine who is also building this is up to issue 34-35 and well into the structure like the German site .  Just wondered...

By the way looks it looks nice , I got the first issue but then thought against it..wish I had gone for it now... although to much on now so maybe right decision

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #814 on: October 24, 2007, 04:21:51 pm »

I started my subscription about 3 or 4 weeks in, a few teething problems with the delivery of a few issues but soon sorted out.
I've just received issues 29-32 with a binder and a DVD!

.... this wood stuff will never catch on!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

stevenrichie

« Reply #815 on: November 05, 2007, 07:14:14 pm »

Hi Martin,
I was beginning to think i was the only modeller who was prepared to shell out this sort of money on a weekly magazine project just for curiosity reasons!!
It has been very interesting looking how far you have gone building the Bismarck,i am just about finishing the planking ready to sort the decks,I think it is going to be money well spent.
I will keep checking to see how you are doing [so i can learn from your build]
Keep up the good work,
Steve Richie CADMA

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #816 on: November 05, 2007, 10:50:31 pm »

Hi Steve, how did your planking go?

Martin

Down below

« Reply #817 on: November 09, 2007, 02:03:25 pm »

Hey Martin hows the build going?

Have you seen the German previews & build re the deck planking yet?

The supplied stuff looks awful, its out of scale, the plank lines look too thick and the qty looks wrong compared to the actual ship, never mind the differing shades of part supplied, it wont match from structure to structure!

Seems they have supplied a printed deck outline on a panel rather than supplying what they advertised as it having thin laser cut limewood deck planks.

Iss 61 deck part has a poor print registration in that the plank line on the curve to the right runs out :o

Even there supplied RC set does not include the parts the originally advertised, they show three prop shafts and send two let alone showing plastic rudders that turn out to be self assembly laminated ply versions, wish I knew that magician {-)

Am starting to loose patience big style with this kit >>:-(

Maikiro

« Reply #818 on: November 15, 2007, 01:18:29 pm »

Hey All, I see some peeps down under dont have issue one yet.
If you dont then send me a Message with address and I will send the only spare issue one copy I have. It will be missing a paintbrush and crap glue, other than that it does have the magazine and parts... :)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #819 on: November 17, 2007, 01:43:29 am »

tjilpi

« Reply #820 on: November 18, 2007, 09:24:16 pm »

Greetings Saw-dust Fans,
Way down here in the wrong half of the world we're just looking at Part 11 (planking) and laughing hysterically. With all the spitz und sparkz from the German site about the model, can anyone condense into a series of dot points what they think is wrong with the model? I see a couple of paragraphs running "Ach, if only I'd known that at part xx, I would have mounted it backvords!!" etc, all in a heavy Teutonic accent and I thought I'd try to incorporate this advise.
Cheers
Oz

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #821 on: November 18, 2007, 09:44:41 pm »

Use waterproof PVA glue. - You could also use a thick superglue,  very quick!
Don't bother with the internal PVA and gauze thing - I would recommend using a spray varnish / paint to seal the internals.
Shape the plank edges so they fit alongside each other closer.
Shape / contor the ribs so the hull planks are glued to a flat surface.
Decide early on what motor setup you will be using.
Number the parts before separating them, especially the ribs / bulkheads.

tjilpi

« Reply #822 on: November 18, 2007, 09:56:28 pm »

Thanx mate,
On reading through I see several summations and I'll thank the people individually (when I remember to take note  :embarrassed: ). You mention 'which motor setup. I mean to r/c the model, the setups will probably be covered in the previous 40-odd pages but could you give me a brief rundown on the variations here please?
Double Cheers
Oz
ps. you guys are great  O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #823 on: November 19, 2007, 02:09:47 pm »

As you probably knew already , the Bismarck had 3 propellers.
Hatchet are offering a 2 motor setup utilizing motors with gearboxes.
Apparently Hachett will be detailing a two motor installation with dummy 3rd / middle propeller.
I will be using a 2 motor setup but using Graupner parts as supplied by marki53 from Germany.
A third, working centre shaft can be fitted but this will require extensive reworking of the hull and frameworks  - and your on your own if you want to do that! (Marki53 supplies both 2 & 3 motor setups )

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2830.msg51244#msg51244

Down below

« Reply #824 on: November 21, 2007, 03:53:09 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 57   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.