Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: BUILDING A STUART TWIN LAUNCH ENGINE & BOILER  (Read 40242 times)

Patternmaker

Re: BUILDING A STUART TWIN LAUNCH ENGINE & BOILER
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2011, 03:16:46 pm »

George & KBIO,
Thanks for your comments and interest, very much appreciated.  I was beginning to wonder if its worth the time and trouble to post pictures, I'm not the type of person that gives a running commentary on my build but very willing to answer any questions or queries.

George, I have put 4mm of ceramic fibre in the fire box cover and 3mm in the smoke box cover, thanks for your invaluable help and guidance on the boiler.

Regards Mick

ooyah/2

« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2011, 06:08:23 pm »

Mick,
Keep posting your build, you must remember that the majority of  members buy all their bits and pieces for steam and don't  scratch build everything like you do.
It's very encouraging to see what you are doing considering that your major experience is in building things in wood and as this is your first boiler build it lets us all see what can be done when you put your mind to it.

I don't suppose that you have spent an enormous amount of money on the boiler build and the fittings , considering what it would have cost to have it made by , say by Maccsteam which for a Scotch marine return flue boiler would be up in the £1000 region all complete as you have posted.

I for one look forward to the link up with your engine and the first steam test, so keep posting, you are doing a great job.

George.

Bernhard

« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2011, 07:55:32 am »

:-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
YES  what ever you are doing on the launch and boiler engine...let us Know and See it,,, :-)  ,,, and 4276 Views...
THANKS

Regards
Bernhard

america12mj

« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2011, 09:08:20 pm »

:-))
Hy guys
a very god job Patternmaker !
a very nice boiler
i just start build the"la mouette"whit a 3x expansing, made himself, and for the boiler i want use ....COAL, it's a big challenge .
welcome on the french forum
i post my last boat
the"cap sizun"

regards :-)

America12mj

thelegos

« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2011, 09:26:48 pm »

Hi Mick,
Yourself and Ted Welding with his 'Natterer' are the two things not to miss so keep it coming if you can. Before watching you two chaps I'd never considered this type of work but that's all changing, I've got an old piece of mahogany furniture to sacrifice and have started to acquire a few good quality tools. There's even a steam plant in my ebay watch list!
Roger

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2011, 05:47:05 am »

america12mj...I have seen a PICASA web page from Pascal Joubert ....is this you?  %)

It has some brillant photographic images of the build of Cap Sizun...... :-))

I think many members would be interested in you posting a new thread of your build under your name here on mayhem...... O0

regards Derek

https://picasaweb.google.com/109661643894098666352/CapSizun?authuser=0&feat=directlink&gsessionid=jCLwiwPUOf_qI0IH-b4zMA#
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

KBIO

« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2011, 12:42:45 pm »

Hello!
I think many members would be interested in you posting a new thread of your build under your name here on mayhem...... :-))
and then, we can stick to :
BUILDING A STUART TWIN LAUNCH ENGINE & BOILER %)
Cheers! ok2

Patternmaker

« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2011, 02:49:34 pm »

Condenser, Lubricator & Pump Valve, not far to go now.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2011, 04:25:52 pm »

Nice job Pattenmaker!
 That's looking annoyingly good! ok2
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2011, 04:35:11 pm »

Hi Mick,

That's a very tidy arrangement indeed- I'm surprised with that layout you haven't utilised some waste heat in the seperator and put a coil in the feedwater pipe as an economizer.

I love the flanged brass top to the seperator, very professional, are you going to employ a small child to do all that polishing....!?

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Patternmaker

« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2011, 06:38:53 pm »

Hi Greg

No surprise, look at the boiler build for water heater, far superior than putting it through the separator where
the exhaust steam temperature is considerably lower, most suppliers of separator's use soft solder, I used silver solder.
To date I have used over 18ft of various size copper pipe, and will probably need another 3ft to finish the installation.

Mick

Patternmaker

« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2011, 06:43:30 pm »

Thanks Martin,
I try not to be annoying.

Mick

thelegos

« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2011, 08:49:11 pm »

Hello Mick, very very nice and thank you for continuing. Some of the comments from the experts underline the work involved in creating this engine and boat, steam is indeed a whole new world!
Roger

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2011, 10:44:31 pm »

Hi Greg

No surprise, look at the boiler build for water heater, far superior than putting it through the separator where
the exhaust steam temperature is considerably lower, most suppliers of separator's use soft solder, I used silver solder.
To date I have used over 18ft of various size copper pipe, and will probably need another 3ft to finish the installation.

Mick

Of course you have, I was surprised you would forego the effort to put in a detail like that, I stand corrected. It's almost verging on scary the amount of material that goes into a plant isn't it.
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

acrowot1927

« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2012, 08:18:10 pm »

[img]Hi and hello just joined this forum, I have just acquired an ML7 and a Milling machine it has been 10 years since I have used either so am very rusty. I would like to have a go at building a Stuart Twin Launch as I have the castings left to me by a dear departed friend, he bought this in 1975 I believe. with it is the casting kit in the picture below as anyone any idea what it is?
Hope I have attached the pic. correctly.
TIA

ooyah/2

« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2012, 08:38:13 pm »

It's a set of very early steam boiler feed pump castings, and as the water pump is an integral part of the main frame casting it's difficult to grip for machining.
George

acrowot1927

« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2012, 03:15:40 pm »

It's a set of very early steam boiler feed pump castings, and as the water pump is an integral part of the main frame casting it's difficult to grip for machining.
George

Thanks ooyah/2, all is now clear, I think I will give this bit a miss.

Patternmaker

« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2012, 03:37:03 pm »

I would suggest you check the port measurements on the cylinder casting before you do anything, if they are not within the drawing dimensions this will cause no end of problems with the reverse gear when adjusting the valves and eccentrics.

Mick

acrowot1927

« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2012, 12:02:41 am »

I would suggest you check the port measurements on the cylinder casting before you do anything, if they are not within the drawing dimensions this will cause no end of problems with the reverse gear when adjusting the valves and eccentrics.

Mick

Thanks for the tip Mick, at the moment I do not have the drawings and most of the cylinder and the pistons have been machined by my friend and the pistons and rings fitted, the drawings are not with the castings. I am going to ring Stuart with a view to obtaining the drawings, a bit disappointed that they are not full size but as the saying goes "beggers cannot be choosers".
John
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.