Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: RMAS Moorhen  (Read 61689 times)

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
Re: RMAS Moorhen
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 02:57:05 pm »

I have now started to construct the main bridge section. First job was to modify the moulded hull, as the sides of the moulding tapered outwards the higher up you got, so i gently heated the plastic, at deck level height and with the aid of  a steel rule, used that to "push" the rail to a more vertical angle, to allow for the removable bridge section to be a better fit and profile.

right, back to action. First job was to mark and cut out the 2 side pieces, making sure to note the differences between sides of course. I then added a "sleeve" piece to the bottom/inside area of the side plates, to ease alignment when removaing/refitting the upperworks. There will be additional boxes for it all to sit over, once the deck is in place, but the deck is not going on untill the powerplant is in and working, to give me more access.
I then cut out  the cross panels,one for the fron, one for the rear, making special note of the angles of the upper wheelhouse deck and of the underside radius also, these will give profile to the upper deck and under "roof" once installed.
I then marked out and cut the wheelhouse deck, making sure to get the "add on" piece around the funnel and the cut out for the deck ladder too.

I have made up some triangular corner support tags, to hep keep everything square during build. I also added 2 x10mm wide cross brace strips to hep keep the front and rear panels flat and square too.

the main upper deck pieces are cut from 2mm thick styrene, moreso for strength and rigidity, as this is the item going to get most of the handling when in use, as you have to hold on to the sides of this to lift off to access the hull access panels for switchear, batteries, motors, rudders etc.  I will also need to run some cabling up, via a multi plug connector for the mast lights and radar at some stage, to the side boxes will be hollow, to allow me a direct through route.

the portholes have been marked on and I will glue on some additional plastic "blanks" to these positions first, to give the outer raduis of the windows, then carefull cut away the internal bits, to fit the windows inside afterwards.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 11:46:07 pm »

Managed to do a little more assembly. Ive now completed the lower box section, under the funnel and constructed the funnel too. I almost forgot about one thing!, the deck under the funnel has a radius to it, as it all follows the upper deck. So had to cut the funnel base to accomodate the deck radius before bonding on top. but at least the funnel looks right and sits vertically.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 02:42:33 pm »

Had a "go" at the wheelhouse today. First job was to cut out the side panels, not an easy task as the floor is curved and the front and rear faces sit at an angle to the deck as well, so it took some careful measuring and some working out on some scrap paper to get it all cut rigth. I then marked out all the windows 18 in all, plus 2 doors. the windows all have an "edge lip/surround" and someone suggested a method for reproducing these, without going to the extreme of using plastic "microstrip" and getting a better finish. That is to glue on the surround as a complete "blank", slightly oversize of the window, so this give the surround edge. then once the glue has dried, drill the corner radii, then simply using a "sharp/new" blade, "join the dots".

yes, I was a bit sceptical of this method, having used microstrip in the past when building ordinary plastic models from scratch, so well used to using it. but after seeing the results of this method, only thought it fair to show you, all the results.
I just have to add the wiper motor boxes to the tops of the windows with "flat tops" and then can start on the interior cabinets.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 02:52:52 pm »

Gregg,
The colour of the buff is humbrol No 7.
This paint is quite thick so I usually mix 50/50 into a clean empty tinlet and apply several thin coats.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 02:57:53 pm »

Humbrol  no 7?

I have been told it was no 63.  and this was the colour used in the original build in model boats magazine.
im not saying you're wrong, but can you confirm this otherwise  i'll have to go buy yet more paint! as I purchased  number 63, following earlier instructions.

I have bought Matt variant, as I prefer to paint in matt, then spray in semi gloss clear varnish later once all the details and letterings applied.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 04:56:59 pm »

Gregg,
I am an ex engineer on her and have built several RMAS Models.
The colour of the RMAS was the "Old Navy" as in wooden hulls Buff and Black.
When the RN went over to grey the auxiliaries stayed RN Buff and Black.
This is Humbrol No7, it looks right on models too.
I have tried the actual paint used on board but it looks way too yellow.
The only problem with No7 is the high gloss finish. I give a coat of matt which dulls it down nicely.
Believe me it is Humbrol No7.
So many models are painted in 63 but it is far too sandy in colour.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 05:32:11 pm »

Many thanks for your reply and explanation, please accept my apologies for asking twice, but not knowing "who you were", so to speak, I was not to know.
I will take your advice on board about the colour and get some more paint. I'll use the number 63 as basecoat !

incidentally, what colour was the wheelhouse interior?
Im just about to start making up some cabinets and desks, especially due to the large "french windows", theres a lot of view inside.

thanks again
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2011, 06:02:00 pm »

Greg,
No apologies needed at all.
So many use 63 but it dries a totally wrong colour.
Old Dodes would be better giving you a more detailed colour scheme as he spent far more time there than me.
You do look to be making a fine model of her.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2011, 08:43:00 pm »

Thanks for the comments, im trying my best, but im no expert by a long chalk. Ive only been involved with model boats for just over 18 months to be perfectly honest, but have been building plastic kits since school age shall i say. [ha ha].

I will have to  add a little bit of "artistic license" shortly with the wheelhouse and everyone will have to forgive me here. I am intending to power the radar scanner, but to do so means running a driveshaft up through the wheelhouse, not a problem you all say, but due to the rake angle of the front wall. the radar mast drive will have to be further back on the roof than the original mounting,ill not be 100% on its original position. I could put it in correct position, but it would mean running the mast at the same angle as the cabin wall so to speak, but would look terrible, so i will have to relocate slightly rearwards to allow for rotation.
incidentally, did the radar head rotate clockwise or anti clock?  Ok so its a simple case of swapping the 2 wires over to change polarity on the motor I fit, but would sooner get it "rft".
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2011, 08:48:41 pm »

Greg,
Radar scanners almost all rotate clockwise.
If it is a straight motor or geared motor reversing the connections will reverse the direction.
Just build the model as YOU want it, it is yours and over time things like radars are updated or changed.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2011, 11:39:22 pm »

Ok, so after rechecking the plans sent by myhobby store, i find that the radar unit is totally incorrect. the plans show a single unit, centrally mounted above the forward wheelhouse front panel. After checking the super detailled pictures sent to me by "old dodes", I find she actually had 2 radar units,  fitted to the roof panel and more centrally on the roof panel, so my previous comment made above is incorrect, plus I'll have to get a second radar motor. But at least i wont have an issue with  getting a vertical drive to the radar heads.

Well at least i hadnt fitted a single unit !

Actually I was just printing off some pictures from my picture gallery, so i can use them for reference to detailling the interior of the wheelhouse. And happened to come across the pictures of the roof radars and antennae.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
Wheelhouse plan layout.
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 03:48:36 pm »

I have managed to exchange the hombrol pint i had already purchased, Incidentally "hobbyworld" are a nice store to deal with, even without being able to take back my purchase recipt, they exchanged the paint tints without question!

Right. on to business. i am just starting to make up the wheelhouse/bridge desks and fittings, but am a little unsure as to exactly what is in there. From the pictures kindly supplied by "old dodes" i can see a fair amount of the forward desks and controls, but the rear wall of the cabin is unclear. is there an access staircase leading downstairs? is there a settee along the back wall? if so, whereabouts, was it a 2 seater or 3? what went in front of the rear wall 3 large "french" 3 windows?

What was the floor covering/colour?

ive attached the pictures i have to act as an "aide memoir".
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2011, 11:18:14 pm »

Started on wheelhouse interior fittings.  Ive installed the basic "shapes" of the forward desk tops. ive still to add the side walls to them. I have added the mounts for 3 of the monitor screens and also added the screens.  the "pc" style monitor i have decided to carve out of a wood block, due to the old shape of the monitor body.
The glazing has been added to the windows. once glue is fully dry [24hrs], I will paint over the inside edges of the glazing to loose the black edge that is visible at present.
I have also put first coat of top coat paint to the wheelhouse, just to gauge colour and coverage, plus i can now also add teh number of "boxes" surrounding the wheelhouse on the upper deck floor.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2011, 11:37:53 pm »

Greg,
The aft side of the wheelhouse had a bench type seat in blue covering, a bookcase, various fuse boxes and the Nav light switch box.
Old Dodes should be able to be more specific.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2011, 11:57:41 pm »

thanks for that, I was wondering what the tall wooden object was at the far end of the picture of the wheelhouse, now I know.
how long was the bench seat, was it a 2 or 3 seater, im just trying to "gauge" how many of the tall windows it backed up against, to get its correct width across. I presume it did not cover the width of all 3 tall windows and if correct,  was there anything in front of the 1st rear window, nearest the door [aft facing].
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2011, 09:41:16 pm »

Still "progressing" with the wheelhouse/bridge interior today. Ive managed to complete the desks, made up the bookcase as accurately as I can "guess" its dimensions, looking at photo's. Ive added the "blue bench" seat and added the control panels, as well as painting the monitor screens and adding the "viewer screen" to the main desk, by the throttle levers.

I just need to find out what the colour of the floor covering is now, to tidy up the interior space.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 05:34:54 pm »

Ive recieved a further supply of "square cut" styrene sheets today from "myhobbystore", so can now set about shaping the deck piece and getting the deck cambers set.
I have also started to shape the pieces that form the wheelhouse roof, but untill I know what colour the flooring is, im unable to bond the roof on yet.

I have cut the lifting horn profiles out, as well as sufficient pieces to make up the additional suport pieces at their tips. But have another question.

On the plans sent by myhobbystore, they depict a walkway between the lifting horns. But looking at the photo's kindly sent by "old dodes", this walkway is missing or was it not fitted at all?

On the one hand, i dont want to fit something that should not be there, but if it was originally installed, perhaps I should fit one.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

farrow

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2011, 10:04:57 pm »

There was nothing in front of the three tall rear windows, the seat was a two seater, the stairwell was in Pic 577 you can sea the heater bolted in it as per my drawing. Humbrol No7 with 50/50 matt varnish is a good finish. RMAS buff was a light custard colour.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2011, 10:12:16 pm »

Many thanks for all the update and messages today "old dodes" they are much appreciated. I will "revise" the bench seat and shorten it, no problem.
I will also omit the lifting horn walkway as "surplus to requirements", afterall, its a working vessel and wish to make it look as authentic as possible.
Ive made up the lifting horns today and will be posting this up shortly. ive added some internal bracing to them, simply for rigidity and will attach once the deck is fully in place. I have also made the cut in the hull for the forward anchor, ready to link up via a plastic tube for thre chain guide to the anchor winch above in on deck.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

farrow

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2011, 10:13:44 pm »

Just remembered there was a long low electric heater fitted in front of the rear long windows, because on cold days with the widow glass heater on and the electric heater on I would stand close too or lean on the windows to warm up, the wheel house in winter on a cold day was bloody freezing.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2011, 11:23:03 pm »

Right. Now for the twin lifting horns, fitted to the bows of the ship.  The original biuld instructions detailled to make a former up first out of resin, then simply bond on plastic card as an outer layer. I opted to make the horns out of flat sheet, adding some internal bracing pieces, before bonding on the other side panel, then simply "rolling" some thinner plastic sheet over the outside to form a better radius around the pulley ends on the tips of the lifting horns.
The side plates were initially reinforced with a double piece of plastic card, to make up the strengthener plates by the pulley ends. Once dry, they were turned over and some 10mm wide plastic card bracing pieces added to give them some rigidity. The second side plate was bonded on and once dry, the outer flat strip was rolled around the entire thing to reinforce the complete item and reduce the number of join lines.
End result? A lifting horn as striong as the original resin filled item, but at a quite substantial weight reduction.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Sandy

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2011, 03:46:55 pm »

Hi,

If this is the same ship, no lifting horns now.

Taken today at about 1100 at the Serco docks at Greenock.

All the best

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2011, 04:25:26 pm »

Yes,
She has been converted to a diving tender.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2011, 05:09:08 pm »

many thanks for the update on "where it is now", its always interesting to find these things out, but this is going to be built as it was whilst working as its title name and as originally intended.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Sandy

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2011, 06:32:10 pm »

No worries. I was looking for something else, and remembering your thread it was a "hang on, isn't that the ..... " moment.

All the best
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.