Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: RMAS Moorhen  (Read 61685 times)

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
Re: RMAS Moorhen
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2011, 09:41:51 pm »

Ive begun construction of the lifeboat platform on the stern of the vessel. After checking numerous photos to ascertain the platforms rough size and shape, I first made a paper template to check against the actual model before cutting anything out. I made the framework out of plastruct "I" beam, as this is what the original apprear to of been constructed from, plus it makes a sturday item, once the glue has dried on the beams. I have also split and "sleeved" the 3 side vertical support beams and placed a peg on the deck floor for the inner support leg. These splits and pegs allow me to remove the platform, to then lift off the winch below and still gain access to the rudder arm below deck.

I have also positioned and glued on the support post for the lifeboat lifting crane at this stage, being as  I can get to bond it fully to the plastic beams, before the alloy floor mesh is bonded on and the brass uprights are fitted in for the railings, just to finish it off. I have alos now made the engine exhausts and fitted, as well as starting to construct the lower cabin side walls, which will have the doors and other fittings  attached later.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

farrow

« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2011, 09:46:32 pm »

Hi Gregg,
The starboard anchor was almost permanently left on the jetty, in fact we lost it once for a long time. The clump was a cast steel clump, not concrete. For interest concrete clumps where banned in mooring practice in the early 80's and then they where old ones left over from the war. The problem was that they lost over 40% of there weight in water due to air bubbles trapped in the concrete mass, plus the securing clasps in the concrete had a tendency to pull out when underload, if a 5/6 ton clump went this could easily cause a serious accident with lifting wires jumping suddenly when the strain is relieved suddenly.

farrow

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2011, 09:48:30 pm »

Hi Gregg,
The question I have will you be at Wicksteed this year with this model, I really do want to see it.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2011, 04:06:03 pm »

thanks for the comments, all info is always greatly appreciated as it helps me to understand all the vessels equipment and its operation.
to answer you main question, sorry but no, I own't be at the mayhem show. The build is less than a quarter started, so not really much to show yet. Admittidly there is quite a fair bit of detailling going in to the build, but thats how it should be. id sooner the boat be completely finished, or at least finished but ready for paint before it goes to any show.
Dont worry, you'll see all the details, as its going on and progressing. Maybe next years show, but depends on my job work pattern if Im not working bank holiday or not, but its usually one of my main working weekends due to it being a bank holiday. I work as a motorsport scrutineer on weekends, so get called out a fair bit, so other selfish people can go motor racing! [ha ha]
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

sailorboy61

« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2011, 07:42:56 pm »

Nice to see all this scratch building going on, very inspirational! Now I just need to move off the diningroom table so Im not 'in the bloody way' all the time!

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2011, 11:56:52 pm »

To be perfectly honest, im really enjoying the build. having to do a lot of scratchbuilding makes it an interesting challenge. the original detailled build in model boats magazine hardly covered the full build and left a lot of things off their version. This rear lifeboat deck for example is a very visual piece, let alone all the roller fairleads for the main winches, or winch control panels that were completely omitted, let alone mentioned.

but having such superb photo's to work from and from such a kind and generous forum member [Old Dodes], this build would not be as good as it is, its only with his generosity of sending me copies of all the actual boat pictures he has, plus his memory for details, that helps me along the way it is going.

My Sun Tug build went a similar way, I had 2 ex sailors who  kindly and patiently helped me with details on that one, even though I did actually build a slightly later version that the ones they actually worked aboard.[ see Sun Tug  build - in tugs section for pics].

I dont know if I will ever be so lucky again to decide on a build and find someone else that previously worked or sailed onboard, but wont touch on that subject yet, this one is hardly started, theres loads more to do and construct yet!

I have been out today at the Commercial motor Show in birmingham, so not much progress, apart from finishing off all the girderwork for the lifebaot platform. and have now also cut out a piece of ally mesh to act as the floor panel.  this will be painted a medium grey colour, once it has been bonded to the frame. I have saved time by making the frame in white styrene I beam, so it can stay as it is, as it is white in colour on the actual vessel. the staining will come later, once I get on to the "wear stains" and " rust water marks" once it is all finished.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2011, 11:48:25 pm »

I have now cut and attached the alloy mesh to the lifeboat deck, after using the paper template I used originally as the baseboard template to cut all the I beams for the raised platform. I bonded this on using superglue and plenty of spring clips to ensure it settled down nice and flat.
Once the glue was dry I have given the mesh a light coat of matt dark grey to simulate the weatherewd appearance of galvanised grid mesh, seems to look ok, but further weathering will be applied later once fully complete.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2011, 08:14:30 pm »

Appologies for the delay in update, but I suffered a sprained thumb a week ago and working at such fine scale has been delayed untill I had better use in my thumb for handling a knife blade.

I have started work on the lower deck cabins now and have progressed well with the Starboard side  unit. All doors and panels are on, along with the handrail & mounts. I am leaving the fire hydrant pipework untill later.  The forward panel radius was formed by using a piece of 10mm doameter plastic tube, mounted vertically and then the side panels abutted to it, with the edge filled with modellers putty and sanded flat once dry.
I will now construct the forward door canopy cover, whilst the first coat of paint is drying [not shown on pics yet], knowing how I like to still keep building whilst one thing is drying and keep things going.
I have also constructed the forward wheelhouse boxes and battery case. these are made from white plasticard, so once on, they will only need a single coat of paint to finish, the reverse sides wont matter, being white to start with.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2011, 08:32:08 pm »

I am starting to recognise her now, lovely work.
Ex Engineer of her.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2011, 01:11:09 pm »

Hi Bob, many thanks for the compliment. its taking some time to get things sorted out on the build, as the myhobbystore plans only cover so much and the remainder im having to fully scratchbuild from the photo's kindly supplied by Old Dodes, who also sailed on the vessel too.
But if you do have any comment or suggestion or any further photo's of her, please feel free to put your "ten penneth" in as well, it all helps to make a build go better, as id sooner it be right now, rather than complete it and someone points out a serious flaw afterwards.

I appreciate that one of the main things that can throw you off kilter at the moment is the colour of the main deck, but untill I have completed all the deck mounted kit, its not worth giving it a coat or dark rust to simulate the work and rust covered area yet, so things look a bit on the bright side, along with the superstructure paintwork, yes, its bright and shiny, but once complete and given a caot of satin clear varnish, it will tone things down a bit. but it has to be built "as new" then aged accordingly afterwards, including trying to simulate the odd panel dent or dink in places.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2011, 05:05:45 pm »

Greg,
The Main Deck was painted gloss green, but never lasted more than a few days as the chain used to remove the paint, so generally rust and mud.
Old Dodes was the skipper on her when I was there, we sailed on several ships together.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2011, 06:32:35 pm »

Yes, ive seen the few remains of the green paint of the deck, mostly tucked away in distant corners where no chain or welly can get at it [ha ha].
I will probably give the deck area a base paint of green to start with, and then go right on ahead with the rust brown "heavy wash" to get it coloured right.
but for now, plenty to do under the main superstructure, assembling doors, pipes and hinges & handles.  I have got the rest of the port side doors fitted, along with replica panel of the small mesh grille on the forward end. I will attach the hinged/opened watertight door to it once  have run the handrail through its mountings and painted the panel behind it first. I have also now added the door and panel cover to the front face of the port side unit, under the liferaft platform. I am yet to add the edge trim to the platform to "beef" it up a bit.  ALL the hinges and handles are yet to go on, so the doors do look a bit bare as yet.

I am in a quandry about the liferafts, I dont know if to purchase  a resin kit and mould my own, being as I need so many, plus have not really found any suitably sized items that would be a straigh fit for this vessel. I can soon knock out a pattern from a piece of wooden dowel, but dont really want to have to create them all in wood, not having a lathe makes wood turning  a "no chancer".

* Sorry about the wiring hanging down in the pics, but you all know what electricians are like ! *
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2011, 05:14:43 pm »

Deck edge.

i have been studying the deck working edge, trying to decide upon the best thing to recreate it with. the deck side edge is rounded in profile, to allow easy run of all cables and chains, brought over the side. I did originally decide to insert a piece of wooden dowel, in a "QUARTER ROUND"  profile, but after cutting the deck edge with a dremel cutter, I looked at the gap again and thought "silly "xxxxx""! Why dont you use some plastic tube? Its virtually same material as the hull and deck, so I can use poly glue to bond it in, with no fear of the glue bond failing and letting water in if id of used wooden dowel and plastic hull scenario.
So I initially cut the deck edge in 2 pieces, using a short length of copper car brake pipe to act as reinforcement in the angled joint, as the pipe bends easily to the shape you want and retains it. I firstly glued the pipe in place with some liquid weld glue, as this melts the plastic, this creating a good bond. Once this was dry, I followed with a seam of  humbrol poly cement, just to fill in the gaps the liquid weld was unable to do.
then once all dry, I have applied some  model filler to finish off the deck edge, this will be sanded once fully dry. the wooden side protection panel has also been started,[ whilst waiting for areas of glue to dry]. To ease the problem of bonding all the seperate wooden planks to the hull side, I first cut a piece of plasticard to same size and roughed both sides with some 400 grit paper. I applied a layer of epoxy glue to one side and laid all the precut plank lenghts on to the bed of glue.  This is then left to dry overnight before giving it a light sanding to flatten off some of the high planks and also excess glue. This being plastic "backed" is easy peasy to then glue to the hull side later.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

farrow

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2011, 10:26:05 pm »

Hi Gregg, just for info, we carried a small rib aft as a saftey boat. But always forward we carried a standard gemimi inflatable boat for work purposes.

farrow

« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2011, 10:36:16 pm »

Hi Gregg, apart from the wood cladding on the starboard side, the top of the hull was protected by rubber moulding all round except for the area between the horns, there was no protection there. Instead the round of the apron protruded over the vertical of the hull platting, the Moorfowl was different in that she had rubber cladding covering the complete area of the hull under the apron.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2011, 11:35:04 pm »

I presume the additional lifeboat you are on about is the one under the bright orange cover in your pictures. Ive simply been placing the other boat on the rear boat deck as a template to check for sizing of the platform.
Was there a rubber buffer strip running around the hull sidea as well as the rounded one on the edge of the deck sides? My plans "seem" to suggest something was there, but its not very clear as to its profile, So I cant tell if its half round, flat or square shaped [or "if at all"].

Ive had to "sectionalise" the deck plating as much as I have, purely to allow me access to the underside of the crane mount, in preperation of adding the" lift" and "swing" servos, with which im hoping to gain some r/c control over the crane without going over the top, especially as I prefer to limit my fingers in to operating a 6 channel radio, nothing more complicated! I also have a dusseldorf fireboats and thats recommended to run with a 14 channel syste, but I cope with that on 6 and that does all i want.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2011, 02:30:48 pm »

I have now finished off the deck edge protector strip,adding some model filler along its seams to ensure its rounded profile and to seal all the edges at the same time. it has all ben finished off with some 800 grit, wet sanded.  The wooden hull side protector has now also dried after 2 coats of wood stain, a light sanding and a further coat of stain to add a deeper colour and also to seal off any bare wood after sanding. This was bonded to the side of the hull with normal poly cement [being as I had already glues to wood to a piece of styrene sheet], It was duly clamped and the glue allowed to dry off. I have also added some "battle scars" to the deck edge protector, simply done with a small grinding bit in a dremmel, just to replicate the useage of cables and chains running over the edge, they're bound to leave their marks !

* Deck wear added with a dremel* - yes on purpose!
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2011, 08:39:23 pm »

Its amazing what can be done on a dull/overcast days, thats not worth going out and about in [ha ha].
Whilst waiting for the glue and paint to dry at the front end bit, Ive made the stern bulwark rail support legs and installed these along with the lower ladder section for the wheelhouse access. Simple bits of stuff I know, but do add to the detail!

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2011, 02:59:26 pm »

Whilst continuing with the door detail on the "alleyway" area, I have finally set the crane base in to position. i have chosen a plastic water connection, complete with a threaded cap end fitting, as this will give me the "swivel ring" needed to rotate the crane without going in to a complex construction of a component myself. I have simply screwed the cap down to the base of the thread and backed off, half a turn, thus ensuring sufficient thread to hold the cap on,but allowing me to rotate at least 180 degrees with the servo control. using this method of rotation will also hopefully allow me to use my own method for raising the job, but more on that once in operation and beyond the "in head design stage".

I have also bonded in 4 hull braces to help support the battery baseplate, once these have dried fully, i will attach the base and the battery side supports, to help prevent the battery from slipping out of position and altering the "ballast" of the vessel!

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2011, 11:24:31 pm »

Managed to fit all the hinges and handle bases to the alleyway doors today, so they have now been painted in their base colours. I have not yet fitted any actual handles, still deciding if to bend some fine brass wire to replicate them or to leave off, due to their frailty and potential for being brushed off during dusting.

I have also painted the inner side of the stern bulwarks, plus noticed that the original plans supplied by myhobbystore were incorrect in another matter. The positions of the winch brake handles are opposite to what they should be, looking at the winch drum rotations, it would put the operator on the "live" side of the drum when applying the brake. So I have had to remove the brake handle mechanisms, so i can reverse their positions and refit accordingly.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2011, 10:11:38 pm »

I have applied a bit of colour to the stern deck area, this is simply to check the colour and its coverage, as there will still be a good wash over of rust/wear to be applied yet, but it has to start off "as new" first, sio am assured the green base will still be left in the "non wear/worn" areas of the deck.
for those eagle eyed amonst my viewers, yes, you will notice she is carrying a pair of anchors and not a single anchor and the other being a steel ballast block. Ive tried it with a round "lump", but looks so out of place, So will juist use that block for the bow anchor for now.

not unless this is going to start a riot and pressure from here crew forces the issue to replace the anchor with the steel lump............................?

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

pugwash

« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2011, 12:13:26 am »

Greg only ex-crew members would know about the anchors and one or two I think you are making a great model

Geoff

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2011, 12:33:39 am »

Greg,
Not from me she is looking superb.

Bob (Ex Crew)
Officially a GOG.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2011, 11:56:53 pm »

Thanks for the comments and, er "assurance" guys, it is appreciated.  id simply hate to build the vessel so far and then, for only my own mistake, completely ruin it for the sake of a simple item ive overlooked.

Todays little project has been to create, er sorry, "construct" the roller fairleads , all 6 in total. these were measured up off the plans and the outer casings made from 1.5mm plasticard, so at least the casings should look "beefy" enough to withstand a cable load run through them. The rollers are simply measured lengths of hollow plastic rod, with some smaller silid plastic rod, run through them to act as the pivot bars.
i assembled the frames first, then allowed for the glue to dry fully before threading the rollers in to place, carefully dabbing some glue on the tips of the inner plastic rod, to still allow the rollers to rotate, as they would in real life.
I have now begun their painting, covering them completely in matt black, before adding some "wear marks" to the rollers before setting them in place on the deck. I am adding this wear detailling to these items as once glued to teh deck, I wont have full access to get the paintbrush in later.
the 4 "forward" mounted assemblies have additional angled support metalwaork to the rear faces, so these have been added in plasticard, of same thickness, the stern pair were made up of simple box construction, so the sit against the bulwark cleanly and dont have the extra back supports, the bulwark support brackets do that job as well.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2011, 11:24:16 pm »

The black base paint coat is now complete on the roller fairleads now, so just as a "trial" heres a couple of pics of one of them, in situ, along with a white metal bollard set.  the roller sets are yet to be "aged", so lacking their working state as yet, but thats soon to follow.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.