Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: RMAS Moorhen  (Read 61667 times)

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
Re: RMAS Moorhen
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2011, 10:02:03 pm »

Now that the hull's base colour has dried fully, its time to place the masking line on to apply the upper black section. I find the tamaya lining tape  very good and limits paint "bleed" under the tape to a real minimum [if at all].  I coated the black sections with "semi gloss" paint to keep the sheen to a minimum. A second coat was applied after waiting sufficient time for the first to dry fully.
The next task was to apply the white line around the hull sides, I wanted to do this whilst the black  was not fully dry, so it adheres better. I had to be careful with the masking tape doing it this way, but i find such thin lines always stick better to "tacky" paint. I was reluctant to use a white stripe version, as these can often loose their grip once immersed in water in a boat pool.  Funny how they seem to stick so well to the side of a car though............

Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

pugwash

« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2011, 10:50:23 pm »

Getting close to the finishing line now Greg and looking very good

Geoff

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2011, 11:41:07 pm »

I wish it was close to finishing !
I am yet to complete the upper superstructure, the deck crane is yet to be r/c'd and there is only the bare motors installed in the hull yet.
I am building this in a rather unauthordox manner basically due to the fact i have little spare cash to buy all the bits i need to build it from the hull up, So as and when i can afford things, i do what i can.
this also account for the "make everything possible" scheme of things. its great experience, dont get me wrong, having to create as much as i am doing. It also means I can spend more time in detailling things, especially as im making them up  from scatch.

but as things stand at present, I start a new job very soon, so once I get my first monthly payment, i can go on a spending spree and get the toys this vessel urgently needs.
2 x esc's 
1 x bow thruster
1 x engine sound generator
2x batteries [may be going  twin 6v units- change on the single 12v job for better weigth balance].

I do have all the bits i need to build up the r/c crane, have a few ideas swirling aroind my head on how to operate it, so will see soon how that actually plans out, but all will be revealed on here, no worries.
I have some terriffic support of some genuine guys who have worked this vessel and im not going to let them or anyone  who is reading this build thread down ! [Finger crossed ].
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

farrow

« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2011, 03:18:14 pm »

Hi Gregg,
Regarding the lifting main wires, the end was always left forward of the guide rollers, because they had a large solid joining connector sweat-ed onto the end for lifting shackles to secure to. Also the mains where often left on deck where they where discconnected because they where so very heavy.
Also Bob, I was on the Salmoor and Salmaid, for a few years too. The Salmoor was the best one she had 12mm shell and corresponding size of frames, good boat in a seaway and better handling. The other two had their scantlings halved by the builder as the yard was going bankrupt, so they had problems with vibration, cracking plates and where allot more lively in a seaway and damaged a hell of allot more easier as well, Salmaid had 6mm plate.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2011, 03:53:38 pm »

WELL !   GUESS WHAT ?

ive just spotted a big BOO  BOO ive made !

AARRGGHH !

I was just about to run the firemain pipe around the underside of the superstructure and then run up verticaly behind the wheelhouse and  eh?  there was no step in the sidewall. OOOOOPS

So fortunately, being plasticard, a gentle bit of knife cutting has removed the offending side panel, simply cut offf the excess end panel, turn it around and upside down and re insert again.  the side cabin is correct width, the step is now visible from the side elevation and end view.

And no one spotted it?

Ive seen it, and was not going to let it lie, so bit brutal I know, but better now that after fully fitted out.

I presume that the reason behind myhobbystore opting for this version was simply "costs". its cheaper to produce a hull for the Moorhen, that her larger/longer cousins, that would of put the price up.

Mind you I dare say it should be possible, to convert the Moorhen hull, by sleeving in some additional length and possible width if need be.
perhaps that could be on the wish list for a later scratchbuild...........

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2011, 05:57:07 pm »

Problem sorted, Ive put its first coat of paint on the modified area now, so looking as she should be again.

But Like i said earlier, this blog includes everything, "warts n all".
I could of simply carried out the mofification and said nothing in the build thread, it would of then been only the keen eyed persons checking out the pictures that would of noticed the "change" so to speak.
no ones perfect, and I'm far from perfect, just a keen amateur boat modeller!

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2011, 06:00:36 pm »

No details on the boat today, my garden bekoned me to do some weeding!  hopefully should get some more work done on her shortly.
I have ordered some, er "components" for the crane mechanism. I think I may of found a suitable operating system to allow me to rotate and raise/lower the boom.

more to follow, not giving away too much yet, not untill its up and working !
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2011, 12:01:33 am »

ok, Ok, so I just couldn't leave it alone [ha ha]. Simply could not sit and look at it all night without doing something, so had a search through my lettering sheets, and found some of suitable size  the the hull sides. I originally purchased them for my Dusseldorf fireboat, but plenty of spare letters left on the sheet to cover this one too.
I will leave then to set for 24hrs, then cover with a clear laquer coat to seal them to the hull paintwork.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

brianB6

« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2011, 01:20:57 am »

So glad that someone else changes details that 'nag'
I have just had to throw out several lockers and engine air intakes on Ararat after getting details of what they should look like.  >>:-(  <:(

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2011, 06:00:55 pm »

Yep, Once I had seen the "error", I "knew it was there" and there is no disguising the fact, because you never know if everyone that looks at it once finished, can see the fault, but is too polite to say anything to upset or offend. but id sooner know and get it sorted whilst there is still chance to do something about it.
At least then, it makes for a much better and more accurate representation of the real thing, rather than just someones own interpretation of it.
I do admit I should study the info I have more carefully, as i tend to strike upon a particular area of the build and then  attack that piece with vigor to completion of that stage, but being as so much of the build is "scratch" i have little choice as its not like building a kit version, where you can skip stages and just look at another image in the instruction book and then pick the numbered parts from a sprue or bag of buits. There is no instruction book for this, yes, ok there is the original build details from the magazine, but that build is far far from the original version and as said earlier, a simulation from soneone elses eye.
Ah well, onwards n upwards as they say !
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2011, 04:50:14 pm »

Todays little teaser has been to shape and insert the fire hydrant pipework.  I decided to use some solid plastic rod [3.2mm]  as I knew this would be better when using a heat source to help put the appropriate bends in to the pipe.  I used some thin" slices" taken from some plastic tube to replicate the flange joints and plasticard, with a hole drilled through it to form the mounting brackets to hold the pipe to the side walls.
Once the pipes were finally checked for shape, the flange collars were added and the pipe brackets strung along the pipe, then the rear faces of all the pipes was painted, before setting in place against the already painted side walls, so less risk of putting red paint on the pre painted panels later.
Once the glue had dried on the brackets I completed the painting of the fire hydrant pipe. I just have the end joints and control valves to assemble and fit in place.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2011, 05:56:58 pm »

Todays little project has been to add the steps on to the forward/bow lifting horns. As per the pictures and drawings, these are open sided, so plenty of painting to do later, trying to cover all these angles.
I first marked out the step positions on the lifting horn upper surfaces, to act as a guide for placement. I then cut sufficient  "treads and risers" for want of terminology, why not use a carpenters one for a change, but it identifies the bits well. The risers are the vertical bits and the treads are what you would normally tread or "step" on. Remember, the risers are shorter in height than the treads are in length, so dotn cut them all the same length.  these worked out at 4mm risers and 7mm treads.
I started at the bottom step on the lifting horn, then gradually worked my way up to the top.
I found that if you placed the first riser in place with some glue, then run a little glue along its top edge, to attach the edge of the "tread", as the tread then falls to the lifting horn ,you simply dot a bit of glue down on its touching edge, then you can add the next riser pressed up against the edge of the tread you have just put in.
it sounds more difficult in words that the actual process, but works well and you soon run up top the top with ease.
Whilst this was all drying, I then cut the stair lower joining pieces to the deck, glued these in place then reversed the process of step building and ran from the first step I had put on, downwards to the deck level.
The final items to add were the safety wall/barrier sections these being flat sections of plasticard, with an angled section towards the rear and a radiussed corner edge at the top/back.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2011, 10:42:59 pm »

Just got back from our model boat club monthly meeting, so back to work!
the steps have fully dried now, so applied a coat of black paint to them, starting off doing all the undersides of the treads and backs of the risers, especially as the majority of them, you can clearly "see through" from the side views, so can't leave in bare white plastic. Mind you, thinking about it. If you build a similar vessel, why not make the steps out of black plasticard, then you wont have to push the tip of a paintbrush where it dont wanna go!   by using black card, you'll save yourself time and aggro later on.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2011, 08:16:58 pm »

I have continued the work on the crane assembly today. I initially made the main boom and swivel base up some time ago, purely to gauge its size and to get the base accurately set in the angled deck area.

So, first thing to construct is the hydraulically operated winch drum. This appears to have a hydraulic motor on both sides of the drum, these were replicated with some plastic tube and plasticard, plus a few bits of plastic rod. The winch drum was made from a couple of plasticard discs cut with a compass cutter and the centre tube, again plastic tube.   For a bit of strength I have made the lifting cylinders and pistons out of brass tube, rather than plastic tube, as the crane will operate, raise/lower, i want to make sure it will survive some useage.
Whilst certain items were set aside for the glue to dry I have made up the cable rollers which sit on either [outer] side of the lifting horns. These were simple plasticard "C" shapes and the rollers were white metal bollards, cut down and drilled through the centre to accept a plastic rod bushing to locate all together.
the lifting horn top rollers have also now gone in, these were alloy capstan heads I had is stock from some secondhand spares i bought some time ago, one of those "those might come in" purchases!

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2011, 11:22:05 pm »

I have installed the first of the drive system to operate remotely, the lifting crane.  I intend to run this for a while to test things out and also  add on the lifting mechanism for the boom too. but this is "work in progress" as yet, nothing too definate or confirmed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTYA_HRpOgY
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2011, 11:29:13 pm »

Continuing on with the crane work today. its a case of design, draw, build, test. reject ! design, draw, build, test. reject !  Ok, so its a bit of trial and error at this particular stage, as im trying to get the boom to elevate now. Ive got the rotation worked out now, as per the video clip in previous post.
I have decided against having a working winch, as there is too high a risk of the cable cord getting sliced due to rotation movement of the main base unit, so boom will have a fixed lenght winch cable setup, so it will simply raise the boom to a preset height, lifting its, er "cargo" clear of the deck and then swing over the side...................... and back again of course !

Sorry, but no pictures yet, not untill section complete and fully operational, afterall, if i show pics now, then change design, its a waste of a post and  spoils things.............

"watch this space " as they say.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2011, 05:14:08 pm »

The crane project continues on today, I first trialled the mechanism to lift the crane job with plastic components first, being the cheaper option to modify or have to replace for a slightly different shape/angle. once the design appears to work effictively. I run on test for a while.
here is a short video clip of the crane lift operation.
Please appreciate this is currently being operated from a servo tester, so once connected to the reciever, via a servo morph, the speed will reduce and give better scale operation [i hope].

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0tcXoGN8I8

No, sorry, not posting any pictures of the actual mechanisn yet, not untill its passed my testing routine, just incase of further modifications being required.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2011, 05:23:11 pm »

Firstly, appologies for no posting over the weekend, but  was busy with another hobby of mine, "Motorsport", so got rather cold and wet up at the oulton park Circuit, so glad to be back in a cosy warm room now.

Ive constructed and added some more of the deck "furniture" today, adding the 2 rope winding posts and also constructed the forward deck winch unit. This surprisingly enough took me almost 4 hours to make, checking drawings, cross checking with photographs, but unfortunately many of the pictures i have show this unit covered with a tarpaulin, so a lot has been down to guess work and referring to a good model tug book for winch pictures to get some ideas.

After waiting over 3 weeks for a reply on another thread concerning a decent resin kit to purchase, from which to make my own life raft cannisters, ive given up on the idea and am currently making some out of wooden dowel rod, trimmed with thin plastic strip to replicate the ribbing lines. More pictures of these to follow once complete guys.

the winch unit is currently undergoing a coat of black pains, after which I will add the winch cable and take some  more pictures.

Also whilst this is all going on, ive dug out my "weathering kit" and am "rust streaking" the hull sides. Little at a time, let it dry and see how it looks, then add more if needed, rather than go over the top and end up having to start all over again, as its easy to add more paint, but harder to start from base colour again.

Oh yes, knew there was something else I was doing! Ive started construction of the clothes horses, er sorry !  "Load cells" which monitor and send readout signals to the wheelhouse monitors for the main winch cables when run forward over the main lifting horns.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2011, 10:13:44 pm »

Todays constructions have taken a few angles. I have done some more modifications to the crane mechanisms, so you will se this section of deck missing from the pictures, whilst the mods take effect. I have loaded the forward winch drum with cable and set in position on the deck, but moreso, the main deck area has had its first "initial wash" of rust!
from this point on I can now start to "age" the deck area, forward of the deck winch rollers, as the area towards the stern , behind the rollers is still under construction, as i want to install the load cells, prior to completing the painting of the deck, otherwise it means I have to scrape the paint off the areas where I still need to glue things down and thats double the work again.
I have alos dug out my tamaya "weathering paint sets" which I find very useful and the small "dabbing brush", very effective for appl;ying "stains" and worn areas. I have tried applying some rust water stains to the stern hull area, where the water would run off the deck through the gunwales. Like I said before, this is applied little at a time, allowed to dry then rechecked. if its not "strong" enough, its easy ti apply more, over the top and darken things up, but the effects are getting there. I have also added some staining from the hull side portholes, espceially as they are not really accessible to any cleaner !

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2011, 10:16:51 pm »

Greg,
It makes such a change to see her painted as a "working vessel". The way I remember her.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2011, 10:50:53 pm »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your comment. But as you know yourself, you hav eto apply its "proper/as new" colours first, before you can start to apply any sort of weathering. yes it does seem a total waste of time and paint, but its the only way, so you can still get those "untouched" areas of "original colour" where the wellies  or displaced sledge hammer cant get at.  im also trying to create some "cable/chain runs in the rust stains, where the decks would of got more "newer wear", so the rust will be a lighter colour so to speak. but as with all paint, you have to go at it "layer by layer".
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2011, 08:02:42 pm »

had to do a running repair to my own "full size" car today, the fuel gauge decided to be non co operative and not show contents of the tank, so had to replace the tank unit. new part price £265 + vat !    item by courtesey of "findapart" £57 inc nxt day delivery. Ok so its a secondhand part, but guarantee for 90 days and its unlikely to fail again in the near future [fingers crossed].

So not been able to attack much on the boat, but have made some of the ventilators and the forward bow fairleads. the fairleads were made up of flat pieces of plasticard, glued together and finally shaped once dry/set. I then drilled the cable slot and filed smooth and added the chamfered edges. Due to the "openess" of these fairleads I took the liberty of painting the undersides of then before glueing in place as there is no way of getting the brush in later.
The ventilators are some plasticard circles, cut out using a "hole punch", they type of thing you would use to stamp out holes in a leather belt or card, works fine on the thinner plastics too, so could be worth buying a set if you need any smaller circlular items. the vent head were made up of a snadwich of 4 discs, glued and left to dry before drilling the base to accept a piece of plastruct tube and a final cut of plastic for the actual vent flap on one side.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2011, 01:58:31 pm »

Just to give you all a "general update" on the build progress, I have attached some overall pictures of the vessel. i appreciate that the majority of the images so far have been of just specific areas and items associated with the build. There are a lot of items yet to construct, mostly from the photographs I have,simply because the plans supplied by "myhobbystore are "vague" and  quite a few items have been left off the build that they actually did, purely for simplicity and quickness.
Todays project is contsrtucing the load cel equipment, which fit forward of the main rear lifting winches. these will be detailled in the next update.
Er, yes, the wheelhouse wiper arms and blades are not fitted [as yet] being such delicate items, these and the handrailing is being left fro  completion towards the end of the build, not wanting to damage them by fitting now and having to repair/repair later again.
here goes with the general pictures.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2011, 11:31:47 pm »

The load cell kit is now fitted and have run the winch cables through the sensor pads. I have alos added the forward deck boxes as well as the, er "filing cabinet".
Need some assistance here from the "crew" !
How high was the grey cabinet?  Im struggling to gauge its height from the pictures I have as none of the pics is on level ground to compare it with other items. Was it "head height or shoulder height" to the top?

Ive made this one to head height, but can soon lower it.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2011, 11:33:47 pm »

I just can't remember those type of details.
Old Dodes will be on at sometime, he might remember.

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.