Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: My Build of H.M.T. RESOLVE from June 2011  (Read 82734 times)

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My Build of H.M.T. RESOLVE from June 2011
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2012, 04:51:06 pm »

Here's the start of the building of bits to go onto the upper deck.This is the start of the Forward Companion Way.
From the parts had to sand down and glued together  will fill the joins with filler ready to put primmer on.
                  wallace  :-)) :-))

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2012, 05:07:11 pm »

This build is of the Aft companion way as you can see built the same way as the forward but had help with the hand sink to bend the ply before fixing.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2012, 04:30:05 pm »

Hi Wallace
just found your build again post meltdown
keep up the good work
Dave

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2012, 04:45:52 pm »

Heres the latest parts to get built but not yet painted.The photos are about the wireless room I had to put weights onto the bits that were cut  as the ply started to bow manage to do it.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2012, 04:51:29 pm »

The last of the wireless room the cut out bits are just tapped on untill I put on the first coat of primer.
          wallace  :-)) :-)) :-))

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2012, 03:17:18 pm »

These photos are all about building the engine room cover this at first sight looks a rather complex bit of building, but over a few weeks got it all together and it turned out to be a very pleasing item to build,and the end is a splendid piece to build.As the photos go on and on you can see the engine room cover taking shape.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2012, 03:22:47 pm »

more on the engine room.   :-))

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2012, 03:28:16 pm »

And more   :-))

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2012, 03:32:59 pm »

More more  :-)) :-))

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2012, 03:40:31 pm »

And more on the engine room cover so far to get to this part of the build  it has taken 12 days its a build not to rush and to let the glues work etc its not a job to rush.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2012, 04:12:31 pm »

After building the engine room cover as the good manual says but these days you need AAAA level in reading as the book does not say this and that,so after building the cover because the weather has been to cold to paint the hull etc I got ahead of the build so after building it and looking at the cut out I had done on the deck I just kept on saying to myself this is so wrong it does not say to put a coaming around the cutout so in the end I did make a coaming to fit inside the cut out of the deck as all my boats have it ( I must say very bad on the makers not to say this ) well its done and here are the photos just got to fix it in place and fill all around and sand down.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2012, 09:33:54 am »

Well just to let you all know its always said that model building never runs smooth I know I have had alot over the years but you get better as the builds get bigger.
Well after my last photos on the coaming something fell off my work top and what did my lovely little foot do yes you are right a part of the build which has taken me around 16 days to build and just put the first primer coat on ended up under my foot and YES the part was WOW gone  these photo show what it looks like.
The part is the engine room cover which I was so happy with  so I will have to re-build it phone the makers up for help  and they are going to send me the bits to re-make it  well at a cost  of £25  which I thought was a bit dear but I need it as the plans are not to scale   and my dear wife blew her top with the cost  the model etc cost over £500 and parts for the engine stearing cost me another £150 you would think I would just have to pay for the postage but never mind  will have to be alot more careful.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2012, 05:17:58 pm »

So sorry to see that mess Wallace. I have actually done this when I was building a wooden cabin for my Waverley  (I didn't let on so I know how you feel)

By looking at the pieces I would say to salvage the various shapes carefully back into a flat pack. This will give you the outlines for cutting new pieces without the need for drawings.

Also, as you've done it before, it might be quicker to assemble a new one this time.

Best of luck and keep us updated on your progress.    :-)) :-))

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2012, 06:44:28 pm »

Thanks for the very kind words Ken.
Since I ordered the new bits from Jo-ticka I have clean up a few bits and have put together around the coaming  to see how it looks will wait for the parts to arrive and re-do the cover.
I wont be posting the new build on here as its going to be like the last one I will post when all is done and prime coated.
wallace  :-))

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2012, 08:18:05 pm »

Wallace , you have done well and kept your cool ,have a small rest , i,ve got a lovely build of a great ship ,but it did not happen overnite ,and that is the main feature ,things take time .plod on Wallace ,you will get there .

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2012, 06:57:53 pm »

UPDATE    I have started on the re build of the engine cover got the new bits and this time building around the coaming and using other wood as well as the new bits.I must say the build is looking better than the first one  WOW
              wallace  :-)) :-)) ok2

ken2

• Shipmate
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2012, 08:11:03 am »

Hi Wallace

Great shame about you disaster with the engine cover but I have rebuilt worst accidents with model aircraft and it is possible to salvage problems but don't be too critical of Jotica as I have been around their works and they do not appear to keep a store of die cut sheets and would probably have to set up the machine just for your 1 sheet.
I would suggest however that you are building things that you will not need for a long time yet and the radio room is on the upper deck !
My build is going pretty steady and I have come across a number of areas where your own judgment is necessary . This is definitely not a beginners model.
You may want to reconsider the combings for the engine cover though as when fully rigged it may be difficult to remove ?

Ken 2

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2012, 10:03:25 am »

Thanks Ken 2  for your thoughts yes I was abit hard on them it was just me being annoyed with myself after taking so long in building it,and yes I did get ahead with the build that was due to the cold weather will now be able to do the hull with primer and undercoat.
Ken I hope if all goes well I will not be taking the top of will be leaving the batterys in and charging from the top.I will post a photo of the rebuild  its looking good.
      wallace   :-)) :-))

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2012, 10:24:26 am »

These photos are the coaming getting fixed to the cut out in the deck filld with car body filler always use it then leave to harden overnight and carefully sand down ready to paint.
Photo 297 is the re build of the engine cover looking better than the first one.

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2012, 07:50:00 pm »

not a rivet in sight  .

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2012, 03:06:02 pm »

Here's the engine room cover re-done looking better than the first one as you can see I have added battons around the bottom they were added while the cover was sitting over the coaming reason for that is the battons around the botton of the cover will sit flush with the deck without any gaps and I for one say it looks great,its had its first coat of primer photo taken while still wet will look after 24 hours rub down and give it another coat then top coat  very please with the out come.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2012, 10:08:22 am »

First two photos are the coaming all fix to the cut out in the deck and filled all around with car body filler sanded down and will be painted before the printed deck goes into place.
The next photos are the engine room cover after it has dried out after looking at it I will rub down and give another coat of primer I did paint the underside of the cover and will give it a thin top coat to keep the weather out down at the lake it fits very nice no water will get into my hull   great. Very happy with the build.
          wallace  :-))

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2012, 11:26:12 am »

Just started to fit some of the fitting  which are all of white metal the photos show  the ash shute doors one on each side of the hull around mid-ships mooring port lips inside and out and also the washport covers also the rivet strips for the plating join on the outside the portholes will be added at a later stage as they are going to be of brass with glass covers so  the lights can be seen.
Have also rub the engine room cover down again and filled some bits that im not to happy with and will rub down and give it another coat of primer.My next job is going to be to wash the hull with soapy warm water and a very fine wet and dry paper hose it down with clean water and then dont touch the hull until it has dry completely then give it its first coat of primer.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2012, 11:26:11 am »

Well its almost 11 months since I first started to build the Resolve and at last I have started on the hull it was a nice day on saturday so I washed the hull with soapy warm water and very fine wet and dry paper then before the sun started to dry the hull got the hose out so in one hand the hose and the other soapy water and wet/dry redone the whole hull with the wet/dry soapy water and straight away hosed it all over with clean water then left it to dry in the sun for around two hours.
After a cuppa and a bite to eat I put the first coat of primer on 30 mins later put another coat on once again left it to dry in the sun for another 30 minutes then put a third coat of primer on left to dry and then carefully move the hull into the boatyard to rest and harden overnight.

wallace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2012, 10:17:33 am »

More about the hull added more primer to the hull this time light grey to the top of the hull and to the inside of the hull also all over the decks there is the printed deck to go over the deck that I have painted but it gives it a nice seal and looks good,I have also filled and rub down the engine room cover  and giver it another coat of primer all is going well at the moment , :-)) :-))
   wallace
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.672 seconds with 21 queries.