Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Linked Events

• THE BLACKPOOL MODEL BOAT SHOW: October 15, 2011 - October 16, 2011
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BIG ONE....THE BLACKPOOL MODEL BOAT SHOW 15th 16th OCTOBER 2011  (Read 42594 times)

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
Re: THE BIG ONE....THE BLACKPOOL MODEL BOAT SHOW 15th 16th OCTOBER 2011
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2011, 07:43:01 pm »

Some photos as promised, starting with Neils (nhp651) beautiful Clyde class lifeboat, Grace Paterson Ritchie. She found a new home during the show and Neil made a sizeable donation to the RNLI at the show out of the proceeds, Dave.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2011, 07:45:37 pm »

More, the new Mtroniks 'plug and play' sound unit was a good reasonably priced piece of kit too.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2011, 07:49:50 pm »

Amazing 1/4 scale Talus tractor built by W.A.Power over a period of 19 years, stunning! Looking forward to seeing it at more shows.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2011, 07:50:40 pm »

Last couple...

nhp651

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2011, 07:55:50 pm »

just a slight correction Dave.mine was the Grace Paterson Ritchie, CH B was the 70 - 001.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2011, 08:24:49 pm »

Sorry Neil, of course it is, been a long day today, I've asked Martin to change it unless another mod sees this 1st.  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

andyn

« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2011, 11:01:23 pm »

Great weekened, good show.... Though still can't believe I got told off for driving my springer too fast and nearly collapsing the pool {-)

nhp651

« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2011, 11:38:54 pm »

mrs Finnis takes no prisoners you know, andy, {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2011, 07:38:33 am »

just a slight correction Dave.mine was the Grace Paterson Ritchie, CH B was the 70 - 001.

Sorted, changed by Martin, what a man.  :-))

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2011, 09:40:35 am »

I assume that the Norbreck Catastrophe must rent their exhibition space at a low price otherwise I cannot see any advantage in having the show in a half-darkened hall with problematic parking. Will there be a prize in 2012 for the best illuminated model?

That being said the show as a whole was reasonable in terms of Trader attendance (once all costs are tallied it must be difficult to make a profit) and club representation and I left with my shopping list fairly well ticked off. 

Barry M

ACTion

« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2011, 10:41:18 am »

Once all costs are tallied it must be difficult to make a profit
No - but it would be if we had to pay the Blackpool Tower Ballroom's idea of rent. I'm sure that if better and cheaper accommodation were to be available then Mark Williams would be onto it in a flash. No exhibition space is ideal in every respect; if it were then the rent would be exorbitant and the consequent door prices would deter most folk from visiting. I thought the lighting this year was an improvement over previous years and as regards the car parking, well - it is in Blackpool and it's still "illuminations" time so we can't expect exclusive use of the car park.
DM

nhp651

« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2011, 11:23:07 am »

well, dave, you know folks......some will moan at anything and everything...................I wonder whether some of them who moan would like it if the shoe was on the other foot and they were the trader for a day.........
As for all these moans about lighting..........I find nothing wrong with lighting in the place......if it were any brighter half the detailing on the models would be lost for the glare reflecting on the gloss paint, lol....certainly on those bright orange and blue boats that some people keep bringing {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2011, 11:32:38 am »

and as regards the car parking, well - it is in Blackpool and it's still "illuminations" time so we can't expect exclusive use of the car park.
DM

My first thought was...well why don't the organisers change it...I really found it difficult to park somewhere close enough and by the time I'd made it into the hall I was kack..d!
one guy told me so...and wanted me to sit down he was so concerned :o

I have to be honest and I think the show needs a revamp for next time, I did find some items I needed though so it was worth the struggle! Planet 5 ..a P79..and some tools I wanted...don't tell the wife %%

JB.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

The long Build

« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2011, 12:57:41 pm »

I have been going for a few year now and never found the parking a problem, Always got into the front carpark, wait a few miniutes and a space is usualy available, I went to my car a few times throughtout Sunday and saw empty spaces. I believe that there is another carpark aroud the back ?.
We Went to the event at the Wintergardens Once,  it was quite a long walk from where we parked and you had to pay as well, or at least we did.

I think that the hotel could try to restrict those who do park in their carpark just to go into blackpool, and not use the hotel or visit the events at the hotel.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2011, 01:19:41 pm »

The lighting did seem better this year, photos do seem to come out dark though, not to sure why that is? As for parking I've never had a problem on the front car park, there is parking at the rear too with a door to the show venue. Failing that there's usually room on the main road. Dave.  :-))

The long Build

« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2011, 01:22:49 pm »

And apparently almost had its own indoor river ..Andy... {-)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2011, 01:47:53 pm »

The lighting did seem better this year, photos do seem to come out dark though, not to sure why that is? As for parking I've never had a problem on the front car park, there is parking at the rear too with a door to the show venue. Failing that there's usually room on the main road. Dave.  :-))

I'm not certain but isn't the hall really for ballroom dancing etc? there's a lot of dark walls and also the ceiling, if they painted these with lighter colour's..white would be good..the overall illumination (no pun %%) would be much improved for photography O0

JB.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

Capt Podge

« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2011, 02:23:59 pm »

This was my first visit to this venue.
Set off from home at 0530 and arrived at 0815 - plenty spaces in the front car park at that time. :-)
Was gonna camp over the weekend but "bottled out" - just as well really - ended up spending just over £100.00 on the Saturday alone !  :o

I found the venue comfortable and the stalls well laid out and was able to browse the Trade stands without getting squashed.
There was sufficient goods on sale to satisfy my needs for the coming winter.  :-))

The club stands were all accessible for viewing and the members manning them were polite and helpful.  O0

As for the lighting - I found it quite ample however, as I've not been to this venue before, I've nothing with which to make any comparison so I leave that to others to comment on.  8)

In conclusion, I consider this Model Boat Show to be well worth attending and will be there again next year, hopefully with sufficient funds to stay the whole weekend.  :-))

Regards,

Ray.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2011, 04:33:18 pm »

I'm not certain but isn't the hall really for ballroom dancing etc? there's a lot of dark walls and also the ceiling, if they painted these with lighter colour's..white would be good..the overall illumination (no pun %%) would be much improved for photography O0

JB.
Obviously never seen a ballroom.  That's the room next door which does have a sprung floor.  The Norcalympia was intended as an exhibition and event hall, and is a vast improvement from the point of view of access to both the Olympia and Tower.  Yes, the lighting could be improved - I haven't been in a hall where it couldn't be improved, but this year it was better because I noticed that I didn't have to take the walk to reception to get anything fixed.  Perhaps the owners have realised that craft exhibitions need visibility.
For photography, remember that the lights are fluorescent based, and have a slight greenish tinge.  When the piccies get into the PC, a gentle tweak on the colour balance sorts it.
In previous years, the hotel has had another event the same weekend (its a big place, they can) but this year there wasn't, so there was much less pressure on parking for those who cared to look.

I assume that the Norbreck Catastrophe must rent their exhibition space at a low price
{-) {-) {-) %% %% %% {-) {-) {-)
If only.  They think of it as a low price, and would like it to be much higher. 

And apparently almost had its own indoor river ..Andy...
Rather later.  And your stall was downstream.

Anyway, many thanks to all who came to look and buy, all those who exhibited, both on stands and on the pool, and all those who helped before, during, and after the weekend.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

The long Build

« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2011, 05:57:20 pm »

Rather later.  And your stall was downstream.

Malcolm, Andy did not post that , I Did , I was referiing to the gentle cruise he had with his little ole Springer   :}

Larry

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2011, 06:37:50 pm »

Obviously never seen a ballroom.  That's the room next door which does have a sprung floor.  The Norcalympia was intended as an exhibition and event hall, and is a vast improvement from the point of view of access to both the Olympia and Tower.  Yes, the lighting could be improved - I haven't been in a hall where it couldn't be improved, but this year it was better because I noticed that I didn't have to take the walk to reception to get anything fixed.  Perhaps the owners have realised that craft exhibitions need visibility.
For photography, remember that the lights are fluorescent based, and have a slight greenish tinge.  When the piccies get into the PC, a gentle tweak on the colour balance sorts it.
In previous years, the hotel has had another event the same weekend (its a big place, they can) but this year there wasn't, so there was much less pressure on parking for those who cared to look.
 {-) {-) {-) %% %% %% {-) {-) {-)
If only.  They think of it as a low price, and would like it to be much higher.  
Rather later.  And your stall was downstream.

Anyway, many thanks to all who came to look and buy, all those who exhibited, both on stands and on the pool, and all those who helped before, during, and after the weekend.

Your right I haven't! please don't get me wrong I'm not complaining about the show, there are always problems with indoor photo's, using flash is not really a good idea for the reasons of disturbance and it spoils the colours of the models if you're not careful.

I have certain physical problems with getting around so I need to park as close as I can to anywhere I want to go or I can't access the buildings, steps and doors can cause trouble too, I couldn't arrive until 1pm so I had to wait for a space which I felt was not too far from the door, drove around a few times looking but not 1 space anywhere! eventually a car moved from near the 'out' gate so I was in! still not easy for me, hard to believe that I know but true. I appreciate I'm probably in the minority which can't always be catered for at shows like Blackpool, illuminations on and there was a gathering of some kind at the other end of the building.

Inside there's seats of course but I wanted to see the models and do some shopping, by this time I'm finding it hard and one chap noticed and tried to help, I wanted to stay for longer but less than an hour was enough for me.

I wish I could be more involved with the show as we need it and the traders are important as we all know there's not many shops around now, I really like to see what I'm buying and check out anything which I may want in the future, I had the chance to see nhp's Clyde...fantastic!.. in 45 minutes I managed to spend £90 so a worthwhile visit, I'm feeling the pain now though!

Sorry to go one so much but I needed to explain my views and experience.

Here's a few pic's I took at the 2005 show :-)

JB.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2011, 07:32:53 pm »

There are not that many good venues available on the Fylde coast. Blackpool Council will sting you for parking on their car parks (on street parking, forget it) and people would have a trek from car to exhibition.

There are a few school sports halls and council run sports halls but again, any rent would have to cover the loss of income from the hall's normal weekend income.

The only other venue I can think of around here is the Marine Hall at Fleetwood. Not sure what the standard is like there, I think Wyre Borough Council were talking about doing it up.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2011, 07:51:50 pm »

The first model boat shows I ever visited were at the Marine Hall, and a very nice venue it is.  It was suggested as an alternative to Norcalympia a few years ago, but I went there and paced the outside of the building.  It would fit inside the main hall part of Norcalympia.
One of the things that attracted us to the Norbreck was the ease os access for wheelchair users - vastly better than either the Tower or Olympia.
Few school sports halls are any bigger than EPlC, and that wasn't anything like big enough for a show the size of the Norbreck show, and schools tend to have less parking.
Apart from the Olympia and Tower, which carry access and parking problems, there are precious few suitable venues within 30 miles.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2011, 08:11:25 pm »

Yes I agree with you both, we have to make the best of what's available all things considered of course, at least I still made it and now have what I need to carry on with my corvette :-))
I use the net but there's nothing like some retail therapy! In couldn't manage any photo's this time sadly..got the cameras but only 2 hands and I needed those for the stick and shopping bag :D

I look forward to next year and hope I'm in better condition or find a easier method of moving around the venue wherever it is held.

A 2005 pic from the door...nice view anyway :-))

JB.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2011, 08:52:44 pm »

Parking Problem? What Problem?

Trains arrive in Blackpool al the time! Government policy is to encourage the use of public transport as your first choice.

And if you happen to have started work on the railways back in BR days you will have free rail travel like me rather then having to pay the beeping prices the public get overcharged to go from A-B. Prices which are hardly an encouragement to get you off the roads <*<. Rant finished - Seriously though I have often had difficulty parking in Blackpool and for the slightest overstay they are quick to clamp and tow away. Also that road from the motorway has more flashing cameras than a Nikon factory.

Staying overnight next year.

Regards Norseman
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.