Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Darnell Type 7 .  (Read 12509 times)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Darnell Type 7 .
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 07:14:19 pm »

There isn't a UK outlet, you have to order from the States.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 02:47:35 pm »

Thanks Subculture, the Europe Reseller I found was only for the plating side of the business.

Nexus6

salmon

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 05:22:55 pm »

Contact Mike directly, he can get you set up. I remember a post about overseas and Canadian sales needing to arrange directly with him.

andyn

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 07:20:33 pm »

Right then Dave, the first thing you need to do is to forget EVERYTHING that has been said so far in this thread and email my personal address, which I will pm to you now.

To everyone in this thread, Dave bought the sub off me and most of the bits he needs to make a wtc for it I included in the sale, including motors, shafts, props, end caps and all he need to do to it is fit batteries and sort out the electronics and some plates to mount everything on.

Davy1

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 01:14:53 pm »

A good point, Mark.

It is always worth starting with your original supplier, if you are having problems.

David

andyn

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2012, 11:45:29 am »

,ive got this acrilic tube ,it fits the gear that came with the hull ,so that I assume is the start for a water tight compartment to hold the electrics etc

Before you can give the right answers, first you must read what has been said and then ask the right questions. Flooding Dave with a load of suggestions saying he needs to spend several hundred pounds with Sheerline or Caswell doesn't really help if he says he's got a load of it already.

What also doesn't help is something that it is against the forum rules,
Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.
You are perfectly capable of providing answers on here without trying to draw people away to your own forum.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2012, 05:25:28 pm »

To be fair here, the original description was rather spartan to say the least- i.e. got a hull and an acrylic tube, but not a clue what to to do with them- yikes! Posting a picture or two would have helped enormously.

Most people entering this hobby these days start off with a kit. There is a lot to take in with submarines, you never really stop learning and those who decide to take the hard road by scratch-building often throw the towel in a few months down the line having found things more difficult than first envisaged.

On the other hand, some people- annoyingly- manage to pull it off, and get a boat working very well from the start.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 06:18:48 pm »

Before you can give the right answers, first you must read what has been said and then ask the right questions. Flooding Dave with a load of suggestions saying he needs to spend several hundred pounds with Sheerline or Caswell doesn't really help if he says he's got a load of it already.

What also doesn't help is something that it is against the forum rules,  You are perfectly capable of providing answers on here without trying to draw people away to your own forum.

Have I missed something here?  Who is the mystery person?

Rich

batfish

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2012, 08:00:33 pm »

Andy,

I think you need to read the complete post again!!!

No one said he should buy either from sheerline or from caswell, They where mearly suggestions.
Brought up by folks on hear whom have an interest in model submarine's and who have researched the hobby,

And telling the chap to msg yourself and forget everything thats been mentioned so far,
Well some of the info listed gives him an insight as to what is avaliable either commercially or by producing himself.

Going by your comments above> If you sold him the Sub why did you not offer to give your wisdom sooner rather than him posting here.

salmon

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2012, 01:07:35 am »

I must admit, I do get confused at what point something is advertising or not (not really, I know the difference). I could take this posting, quoted here, as advertising and pulling someone away from this site:
Right then Dave, the first thing you need to do is to forget EVERYTHING that has been said so far in this thread and email my personal address, which I will pm to you now.

To everyone in this thread, Dave bought the sub off me and most of the bits he needs to make a wtc for it I included in the sale, including motors, shafts, props, end caps and all he need to do to it is fit batteries and sort out the electronics and some plates to mount everything on.
Then again, why not post the solutions here so we all can learn?
I know that there is a poster that owns a company that sells WTCs, does that invalidate his suggestion? I own one of his wtc and will say it is a thing of beauty, but that is not advertising. It is offering my positive experience with his products.

andyn

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2012, 03:11:23 pm »

If you sold him the Sub why did you not offer to give your wisdom sooner rather than him posting here.

I have done, both by Pm in the past and when he bought it off me.

Suit yourselves.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 03:25:02 pm »

Suit yourselves.
[/quote]

Heard that before somewhere O0 O0 O0

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Patrick Henry

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2012, 03:42:53 pm »

It's all good fun, this lark...I'm glad I had a teacher who actually knew what he what he was talking about.

Rich

dave301bounty

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2012, 05:27:02 pm »

Can I ,  seeing it was myself who is a compleat novice to the world of submarines ..say that ,I did indeed buy the hull and the electrics from Andy ,after he had put it on this site ,I bought the item ,and he said he was going to Blackpool .Myself ,to Honour the the buying of ,paid the cash and that was that .Now some time later I have had a look at the Submarine site that is going on Mayhem ,got interested ,seeing that I had bought this ,what I have ,and have asked on site how / what do I do next ,but I had seen someone has got a accrilic tube ,so I sent away ,got the thing and every thing looks good ,but have put it on the back burner ,because  there is more to this than I can digest instantly ,so there you have it .Now Today I see that its getting a bit  what can I say ,?niggly as to who said what ,well  people please dont ,I wont be riding the waves for a long time ,ha ha ,riding ,,cos I have a few more important things have surfaced ,ha ha ,surfaced .thanks for all who have pointed me to the help section I will pick it up in due course ,there is another pun ,  Sub,s are fasinating ,and to see what you guys have done ,amazing  ,,so she is sitting at the back ,not doing any harm .thanks Dave .

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2012, 01:48:10 pm »

In reference to an earlier post regarding Caswell, has anyone used: Taken from Model Boat Magazine.

A1 Down Under Models, had their new submarine diving system which is essentially a precision engineered Perspex tube incorporating a ballast system with compartments for housing batteries, r/c and a sealed linkage system. Think they had a UK seller at one point

Regards

Nick

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2012, 03:26:56 pm »

I believe they're UK based, but they don't appear to have any web presence, which is a rarity these days.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2012, 03:28:05 pm »

I've only ever seen their stuff in magazines, Nick...although they did have a stand at a show that the AMS attended, up North somewhere it was. Their cylinders were reported as looking pretty good and well made, but since then I've heard no more.

I tried my hardest and couldn't locate a website, and the email address I was given was incorrect...

Rich

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2012, 03:41:49 pm »

Cheers Gents, the article was dated 2008 so it seems outdated. I think I will go with Caswell, just need it to fit into an Engel - George Washington.

Nick

Patrick Henry

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2012, 04:31:35 pm »

Nice boat...don't forget some pics!

Davy1

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 04:38:14 pm »

I had  a  chat with A1 etc at Blackpool.

http://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/t578-blackpool-model-boat-show?highlight=Blackpool

He had not sorted out his web presence then because he was busy  and didn't want to oversell himself.

No bad thing to support  a UK supplier not least because US suppliers have rather unique dive systems.

I have no commercial interest and have never bought anything from them but they are worth putting on the list, I would think.

David

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2012, 10:33:43 pm »

That's a shame- it seems unless you're fortunate enough to visit a show where they have a stand, A1 downunder are destined to remain a bit of an enigma.

The U.S modellers tend to trim their boats slightly positive and then drive them under- colloquially known as the 'chicken trim'. Somewhat different style to many UK modellers who like to trim negative and hover their boats at depth.  The ballast systems employed tend to work with a tank completely full or completely empty, and gas or low pressure air pump systems are favoured over water pump and piston tank systems.

Davy1

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 12:58:49 pm »

Jolly good.

"Unique" I was thinking about gas, I suppose.

I didn't know you had been to the States, Andy?

David

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 07:58:34 pm »

I haven't, but have read enough sub regatta reports from over the pond to see what the dominant system is.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.