Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: large motor ESC  (Read 2676 times)

thebackways

• Shipmate
large motor ESC
« on: February 29, 2012, 07:33:42 pm »

i have a large motor in my tug ( 1000mm in length 50mm diameter )
it doesnt have any identification on it and im not sure how many amps it would pull out on the open water ( only tried in the ba...ahem...test tank  ;) )
my speed controller is a hitec ' golden brick ( yes i know they suck, but atm is all i have )
as im pricing up speed controllers from action
but the speed controllers all have amp ratings, and as i said im not sure how many amps it pulls, is there anyway to test this without expensive equipement like multimeters and such ?
my speed controller gets awefull hot sailing forwards and backwards in the test tank as the tug is close to 1 meter in length,
im kinda scared of burning out the golden brick if launched on an open lake
will hopefully be running her on a pair of 9.6 volt 3700mah batteries ( but using one at a time )

BobbyShaftoe

Re: large motor ESC
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 07:54:22 pm »

but the speed controllers all have amp ratings, and as i said im not sure how many amps it pulls, is there anyway to test this without expensive equipement like multimeters and such ?

You can usually pick up an ammeter for a tenner or so brand new.  They're probably cheaper secondhand.  You'll need something with a high current rating, though.

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:13:28 pm »

i have a large motor in my tug ( 1000mm in length 50mm diameter )

Now THATS what I call a large motor :}  one metre long!
respect lilgoth89
andrew

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:30:37 pm »

Hi ya Lilgoth89

If my memory serves me right I think the brick speed controller is between 15 & 20 amp but the quickest/cheapest way to find out approx amperage of the motor is to stick a 5amp fuse between the motor and the speed controller - stick the model in the bath and put the motor on full bore - if it pops the fuse you know its pulling more than 5 amps.   Stick a 10 amp fuse between the motor and speed controller and if it pops that one - do the same with a 15 amp fuse and if it doesnt pop that one, you know the amperage is approx between 10 and 15 amps - that is the quick and rough way to tell how many amps the motor is pulling - a lot cheaper than burning out the speed controller.

aye
john e
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

thebackways

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:52:42 pm »

Now THATS what I call a large motor :}  one metre long!
respect lilgoth89
andrew

yeah yeah...i was going to put the length of the tug in first...then lost track of where i was due to iceland delivery :)
100mm is the length of the motor,50mm is the diameter   O0
tug is 1000mm long and 280mm wide
with the hitec...is it becoming very warm due to the overvolts ? or coz shes pulling so many amps ?

triumphjon

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 10:24:53 pm »

from memory the golden brick is marked sp6/10  i know they are rated at 10 amps !

nick_75au

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 07:00:11 am »

Gold brick is for 7.2-8.4 volts and 10 amps.

Cheers
Nick

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:21:16 am »

A cheap and cheerful multimeter can be had for under a fiver these days. More than accurate enough for this sort of thing. e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-DT830B-LCD-Digital-Multimeter-Electric-Voltage-Tester-BATTERY-and-LEADS-/160732680715?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item256c6a120b

A lot of models go up to 10A. If you need more current capability, then just wire in a shunt. http://www.reuk.co.uk/Make-a-Shunt-Resistor.htm

thebackways

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 03:08:11 am »

i just remembered ( looking thru my other thread )
her original ESC was an eletronize fr15hvr running off a 7ah 12v sealed lead acid battery
never saw her on the water in her original condition so i dont know how well she would run on 9.6v
what would the equivilent from action electronics ?  (as ive only ever heard good things about this make )
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.